Hi Bob
Intros 2 & 3 and endings 2 & 3 have been specifically designed for you to play your own chords etc etc, whereas Intro 1 and & Ending 1 are specific "mini" sequences designed to be "left to play by themselves" - changing chords etc with Intro & Ending 1 can have some weird results (for example - your last chord in your song may have been C, pressing Ending #1 could then play for 8 measures or more changing its own chords several times - "Ensemble and LOWER" will not follow those chord sequences in Intro/Ending #1.) When you build a STYLE from scratch your INTRO/ENDING 1 can be anything you like, whereas the other INTRO/ENDING must be built on a single chord - usually Cmaj7 (but you need to get into STYLE building to understand more etc...)

Getting into any professional level arranger can be very daunting at first. I am not sure how "new" you are to the PA but this is always my advice to new owners:-
1. Spend time going through the first 100 pages of the PA manual - usually entitled "Quick Guide". This sounds a lot but it isn't - what it will do is familiarise you with Korg arranger terminology and all the necessary "basics" to get you started. Work through those pages with your keyboard ON and next to you so you can play as you learn.
2. The next bit of advice is to take one MODE at a time and experiment with it e.g. STYLE PLAY MODE.

The beauty of the Korg PA2/3 is flexibility - you can basically set it up any way you want - you have control - unlike the Tyros (for example), however this is at the cost of patience and becoming familiar with its features. (I wasn't suggesting you are impatient, I just know how I am with these things...)
Quote:
I am not enamored with the way Korg stuff seems to want to make my decisions for me. I like the ability to select an STS setting with changes in style variations but in my opinion, the default should be to not make changes like that unless the musician chooses to turn the option on.

These are simply "out-of-the-box" settings - the PA2/3 is fully flexible and every PERFORMANCE/STS/STYLE/SOUND?SAMPLE etc..etc.. can be changed to suit your exact requirements.

"Ensemble" locking. One way to achieve your requirement is to either switch off STS which means that no matter what style you load the sounds and voice setup is unchanged - then you can load the individual SOUNDs as required. Another is to re-write the STS or PERFORMANCEs with the "ensemble" setting you want - they will then remain for all time.

You can have the PA power up with the settings you want by setting up the keyboard and writing that current environment in PERFORMANCE position #1. PERFORMANCE #1 is the one that the keyboard will load on power up.

I hope this helps a bit, Bob. Please persist - you have the best of the best with Korg. IMHO the only keyboard that could have come close a few years ago was the Ketron Audya (now way behind the times...)

Once you get some familiarity, you will not look back.
Am here to help my friend - keep the questions coming.....

All the best

Pete laugh