Originally Posted By: Diki
Yamaha don't even HAVE Akai import... Maybe you LIKE to go to the incredible PITA of laboriously converting all the samples to .wav form, remapping the sample splits and layers (hundreds upon hundreds of samples in a well multi-sampled drumkit or instrument) and tediously recreating the sound on a Yamaha. Me, I prefer to bring it ALL in in one command... wink

Plus, most Akai libraries have a limit of 32MB for a full load. Unlike today's GIGA sampled libraries, a premium was put on sample efficiency and RAM limits. So, most sounds load up (even at the old school speed of Korg's) a LOT faster than 60 minutes. Which, BTW, it STILL takes to load a Yamaha until you convert to the Flash RAM, which, once it's full (and you have half or less of the room that a MoXF gives you), you are stuck loading any more in JUST as glacially.

Me, I'd trade load up speed for a MUCH wider choice of sounds any day and twice on Sundays! Yamaha's available library for the Tyros is pitiful, to be even kind! They have had HOW many years to develop one, and these few sounds is all they have? Where are the multi-sampled punchy drums that many decry as the weakest feature on the arranger? Where are the warmer, more detailed pianos? Where are the full libraries of time-sliced percussion and drum grooves, breakbeats and USEFUL stuff like that? Oh, I forgot... they are too busy working on getting yodeling down!

Tyros and Motif users have for YEARS been begging for Akai import. Where is THAT? Roland have it, Korg have it, Kurzweil have it. It's not a question of licensing. It's a question of Yamaha restricting their users to their proprietary format, raping their customers with sky-high prices for pitiful few useful sounds, and going 'take it or leave it' as they usually do...

I'd have a Yamaha right now if it did Akai import.

And where was ANY OS update (that didn't fix bugs or add Yamaha Store capabilities) to a Tyros? Roland updated the G70 two or three YEARS after it was launched. Korg added the DNC capabilities and a Guitar Mode to the PA2 (imagine if Yamaha had added SA2 capabilities to a T2, so you didn't HAVE to buy a T3 to get them!) several years after launch. Sorry, but you haven't a leg to stand on on this issue...

Always bordering on the Hypothetical?

No one fools around with Akai samples for Live play any longer. And I DO create my own multi-samples there are many conversion programs that will convert Akai to other formats and if your the type to actually USE an Akai sample, then you are probably well adept at conversion and Multi-sample mapping. I use quite a few samples with the Tyros from Shania Twain to Ke$ha...without the need for Akai samples.

And, you will not find the need to many OS updates on the Tyros since the operating system is mature and rock solid. It does what it is intended to do. Unlike my Roland G70 that is buggy and needs an OS update, but none will come from Roland.....in 3 years their flagship is DONE.

The Bk-7 was updated because as a new product, it was buggy. I guarantee it!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps