KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals

Posted by: john smies

KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 03:49 AM

http://www.korgpa.com/en/products/arrangers/pa3x/pa3x-demo/P/5-pa3x/13-full-songs.html

manual:

http://www.korgpa.com/images/stories/pdf/pa3x/Pa3X%20User%20Manual%20v100%20(English).pdf

advanced manual:

http://www.korgpa.com/images/stories/pdf/pa3x/Pa3X%20Advanced%20Edit%20Manual%20v100%20(English).pdf

regards,
John Smies

P.S. How about a friendly discussion this time.......
Posted by: abacus

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 06:11 AM

Hi John

After listening to the official demos, it just proves how unrepresentative all the previous demos that have been posted were. (Extra points for those that said wait and see)

As to the sound, well I have never been impressed with the piano sounds on any of Korg Arrangers, and this one is no exception.

The drums however show what live is all about and really puts the T4 drums to shame. (Even audio loops aren’t that much better)

The rest of the sounds are fine, but overall nothing I can see changing a PA2x for. (Whereas the change from the PA1x to the PA2x was a really significant improvement in all departments)

The proof of the pudding however is as always in the eating, so looking forward to hearing and playing it live.

Bill
Posted by: FransN

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 06:19 AM

Like I said before the PA2x sound great and the PA3X sound even better. Wow what a keyboard.
Posted by: doc-z

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 06:25 AM

Mesa wanna one!
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 06:58 AM

Originally Posted By: abacus

The rest of the sounds are fine, but overall nothing I can see changing a PA2x for. (Whereas the change from the PA1x to the PA2x was a really significant improvement in all departments)

Well said, Bill...and something that seems to have been obvious to PA2X pro users all along.

Again, playing it live may make a difference, although I really can't see that happening.

Ian

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 07:04 AM

Maby it is just me. But Korg just uploaded also styles and sounds and to me I hear a big difference between the PA2X and the PA3X.

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 10:39 AM

Just had a listen to latest demos that have been uploaded, and the styles are definitely more live than the Yamaha, but unfortunately they have become very busy (Just like Yamaha) thus you pretty much have to follow what the style dictates rather than being able to do your own thing. (Busy styles I am afraid leave me cold, and just bore me)

As far as the solo sounds go they are typical Korg, with the Exception of the DNC Violin, Strings & Acoustic Bass which really are top notch and easily leave the Yamaha SA1/2 voices in the shade.

BTW The reason I am comparing the PA3x with the T4 is simply because until the PA3x came along, the T4 was pretty much the top notch hardware arranger in most areas.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the official demos prove that the Beta version demos that had been posted previously were not even close to the finished product.

Bill

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: abacus

As far as the solo sounds go they are typical Korg, with the Exception of the DNC Violin, Strings & Acoustic Bass which really are top notch and easily leave the Yamaha SA1/2 voices in the shade.

Bill

Of course Bill, this is your personal opinion, and not indicative of a universal sentiment. It will also depend on just how playable and expressive these DNC voices are when playing "live".

From what I've heard on these latest demos...the Tyros4 still leads in this area...my personal impressions, of course. grin

Ian
Posted by: keybplayer

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 11:20 AM

Those Italians are something aren't they? These studio produced PA3X demos (at long last) are really noteworthy on almost every front in my opinion. First, the Drum Kits are fabulous and as already stated put the Tyros4 drums to shame. But even more astonishing they are better than the Audya too in my opinion. Wonderful, wonderful Drum kits. cool In your face, extremely realistic, and with a vibrant "Live" presence that displays superb reproduction and accuracy. Well done Korg!

I noticed they recently added Styles and Solo instrument sounds plus a few Latin mixes. First let me say that the RX Grand Piano demo was the best ac grand sound of the bunch. It sounded better to my ears than the T4 grand(s), or better than any other arranger for that matter. But I don't think Korg did a very good job with the demo itself because the String Orchestra within that particular demo kind of played havoc with the RX Grand Piano sound in a couple of spots which made it sound a little cacophonic and unnatural. I would like to see Korg put up a solo demo of the RX Grand (and other AC Grands) to better gauge their overall sound quality. But the only Grand Piano 'solo' demo was, in my opinion, the less than stellar eXp Grand Piano. Also, the Honky Tonk sounded overly reverberant like it wasn't being played in a tavern but in a vacant symphony hall giving it an almost eerie sound to my ears. Nice thing about Korg keyboards though is that you can fully "edit" the sound microscopically and then save it to memory as a user sound effectively re-shaping it to your preference. With Yammie you're more or less stuck with what you've already got sound-wise, whereas, Korg arrangers give users much more control over the sounds and styles which is hugely beneficial. Depending, of course, on the final outcome of your re-shaping efforts obviously. wink

I really liked the Nylon DNC as well as the Steel Guitar DNC and in fact all of the DNC instrument demos. The Violin DNC was especially nice I might add too; as were the Strings DNC. The Musette was wonderful too although I expected as much from Korg's Italian sound programmers. cool The Jazz Sax DNC was comparable to the T4's Tenor Sax I thought also. Too bad there were no Organ solo demos. I wonder why Korg is holding back on the organs? Arrangers are basically known as being portable "Organs" - besides the auto-accompaniment "toy" designation from traditional workstation owners. wink lol Korg being dismissive regarding the PA3X Organs is kind of disconcerting if you ask me. Are they actually any good?? Or is it just one or two that pass muster and everything else junk? That is the sixty-four thousand dollar question on a lot of people's minds right about now I would imagine. If most of the organs suck it will be a huge disappointment and could be a deal breaker for possibly many people, needless to say. A few (or several) Organ solo demos would certainly remedy the situation. I would be extremely hesitant to buy a totl arranger without hearing a least a few of the organs on board before doing so.

Korg's absenteeism regarding the PA3X/Pro Organs could speak louder than words. When a manufacturer highlights many sounds from several different categories yet essentially ignores a certain category, or categories, of sounds... they usually do so for a reason. The reason usually being... the category, or categories, they ignore could perhaps be filled with a bunch of mediocre mish-mash that they are relatively ashamed of?? You tell me?

I did notice a few areas where the sound quality on a couple of the song demos were a little suspect. A little "thin" in a couple areas to my ears. But overall, I think Korg did a great job and the PA3X/Pro is a great arranger having apparently many great sounds. Organs??... not so fast. wink To be fair, I did hear a couple very nice organs on one of the recent youtube demos. cool Lastly, the BRASS!!! Excellent Brass sounds that are simply the best I've heard on any arranger to date. Exquisite Trumpet(s) and very nicely done Brass sections. If you're into Brass the PA3X is right up your alley if you ask me. Bravo! Bravissimo!! Well done Korg!

As Korg's new Flagship, it undercuts the competition considerably in price too. Which is more money in people's pocket to spend on other things. Plus the option of 76 keys as well. Still only 120 note Polyphony is a little disheartening though. Roland's new synth Flagship the Jupiter-80 has 256 note Polyphony (varies according to the sound generator load). Perhaps Roland will FINALLY release a new totl arranger soon that will also have 256 note Polyphony? That in itself may be reason enough to hold off until summer NAMM before taking the plunge on a PA3X/Pro. 120 vs. 256... you do the math. wink

All the best, Mike
Posted by: leezone

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 11:41 AM

keybplayer posted:
"First, the Drum Kits are fabulous and as already stated put the Tyros4 drums to shame. But even more astonishing they are better than the Audya too in my opinion"

you kidding?, these drums are JUST ok,
AUDYA's are way better and sound way much more "live" in your face, the real deal

BTW, that Samba in the PA3X is a JOKE,
really, that style is horrible, the drums are too.. too canned
just MY Opinion... you have yours

listen to the AUDYA's samba and hear what it should really sound like eek

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 11:41 AM

If the organs on the PA3Xopro are anything like the ones on the PA2Xpro, they are very, very good.

Korg has always done a fine job with Hammond emulations, in my opinion...their CX/BX-3 organs are excellent.

The question is still, are there enough fresh DNC voices and features to make a PA2Xpro owner want to change up.

It would be a no-brainer for a PA-800, or a PA-500 user to want to get the new model.

Ian
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 02:28 PM

they were certainly some nice demos . no complaints from me. But they were demos done in a studio . I still have my reservations about how the instrument will sound live without being treated by sound engineers. Time will tell .

I loved the arrangements though in the songs .
Posted by: leeboy

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/08/11 05:45 PM

I want to know how this baby sounds playing songs like Telmo plays!

All thos edemos were mostly FASt songs...you can not hear the sounds when playing that stuff.

I will have to play one myself to see.

The demos were just ok to me, because not one of the songs is stuff I like.
You need to play those sounds...hold those notes, change up on articulations...to really hear what it sounds like, then all the fast stuff is a given.

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/09/11 03:35 AM

Personally I really like the sound of this thing. It actually sounds pretty realistic. For instance that violin has so many different elements it's crazy! I have yet to hear a keyboard that can reproduce the different articulations of a violin that good. Even the Tyros family doesn't do it that well - in my opinion. The guitars sound pretty good - still a little to go to sound completely realistic - but they are a lot better than Yamaha's noisy - let's throw in a lot of percussive guitar noises to make it sound real approach. For instance it is really rare to hear fret noise unless the player keeps his/her fingers on the fretboard at all times and slide a bar chord up and down. (Or the player adds it on purpose for effect). In these examples the guitars sound pretty close to what a guitar sounds like in a professional mix. The drums sound good, and the bass is punchy. I also like that the overall sound is not too compressed, that way this board is pretty usable in the studio as well. Oh man.... now I'm torn between this baby and the BK-7m. I'm glad Yamaha didn't release the PSR-920 and PSR-720 at Musikmesse, then the choice would be even more difficult.

DocZ
Posted by: Diki

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/09/11 08:45 AM

While it MIGHT be interesting to see how well this could do something like Telmo plays, let's face it... that is a TINY niche segment of what is ACTUALLY likely to get played by anyone buying one. Personally, I'd like to hear more of what Korg does traditionally BETTER than everyone else... smooth jazz, modern jazz, hiphop type styles, some more rock, R&B (modern and old), acid jazz, chilldown, that kind of thing.

I doubt I'll ever find a gig playing Andrew Lloyd Webber, but I can work 24/7 playing smooth jazz and the like...

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/09/11 08:48 AM

What do you think sofar about the PA3x after hearing these demos Diki?

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/09/11 09:12 AM

Originally Posted By: leeboy
I want to know how this baby sounds playing songs like Telmo plays!

All thos edemos were mostly FASt songs...you can not hear the sounds when playing that stuff.

I will have to play one myself to see.

The demos were just ok to me, because not one of the songs is stuff I like.
You need to play those sounds...hold those notes, change up on articulations...to really hear what it sounds like, then all the fast stuff is a given.

Well said Lee...it's easy to hide poor loops, and other flaws behind a flurry of notes. Also, what we've heard on these demos may not be performed "live"...big difference.

I have a feeling the Korg is not going to do it for you, if you are expecting it to perform the music you like at the same level and quality as the Tyros4...but, only playing both will really be the clincher.

Telmo chose the Yamaha over a Korg for that very reason...it works best for his music and his style.

However, I play quite a range of genres, especially for my clinics/demos and the Tyros4 is more than competent in whatever style of music I perform.

Ian

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/09/11 04:53 PM

As far as i can tell i have yet to see or hear a proper demo of the Korg PA3X arranger. I also thought the violin and guitar sounded really good on the Korgpa site and the articulations were brilliant but i want to see that played live and not from a studio perspective. I have heard many outstanding demos on yamaha and casio keyboards that could not be reproduced in reality using just the keyboard and thats all i am interested in.

I was blown away by the demos of the tyros played live with crappy cameras. Where are the great live korg demo's ?????

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/09/11 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: spalding1968

I was blown away by the demos of the tyros played live with crappy cameras. Where are the great live korg demo's ?????

Hard to say why nobody's posting anything with the PA3Xpro...even on YouTube there's nothing. I hope they can make those same great sounds heard on the site, but played entirely live (with accompaniment).

Did you get the Z-2300 situation sorted?

I've found a lovely SA2 Jazz Trumpet on the Tyros4, Spalding...smooth as silk, yet has a nice warm "tat" when played harder...one of the most expressive trumpet sounds I've played this side of Yamaha's legendary VL-1 'Virtual Acoustic' synthesizer.Ahhh...life is sweet!

Ian
Posted by: hammer

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/09/11 08:51 PM

I have owned a Korg PA1X, PA2X Pro, Tyros 3 and 4. All the demos sound great and everyone goes nuts over them. If when I sit in front of one and can re-produce what I have heard in the demos without having to spend a year "tweaking" everything I will be a buyer.

Hammer
Posted by: audyaplayer

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/10/11 12:49 AM

Why must Korg always look to the T4,one key with choirs is more than enough,it,s like the T4,a few new styles and some more goodies and we have number 3.
just my opion.

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/10/11 10:09 AM

The choirs/vocals on this unit sound a lot better than the choirs/vocals on the Tyros4. The samples used in the T4 are old ones recycled from Yamahas previous performance pianos/synths. I have the very same on my P-250 - with the switching and all. The Roland FP-4 has some choirs/scat voices - and you guys forgot the VA line marketed as "A Keyboard that sings" with their V-Vocal technology. This is nothing new or groundbreaking. But I must say that I really dig the sound of that operatic female soloist in the PA3X demos - that is one of the best ones I've heard on a hardware unit. Makes me remember the Techno Opera from The 5th Element - that was beautiful!
So if I can get a female backup singer doing the ooos and aaas and not having to put up with the FVS "Female Vocalist Syndrome" - that is a plus in my book smile

DocZ
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/11/11 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: doc-z
The choirs/vocals on this unit sound a lot better than the choirs/vocals on the Tyros4. The samples used in the T4 are old ones recycled from Yamahas previous performance pianos/synths. I have the very same on my P-250 - with the switching and all. The Roland FP-4 has some choirs/scat voices - and you guys forgot the VA line marketed as "A Keyboard that sings" with their V-Vocal technology. This is nothing new or groundbreaking. But I must say that I really dig the sound of that operatic female soloist in the PA3X demos - that is one of the best ones I've heard on a hardware unit. Makes me remember the Techno Opera from The 5th Element - that was beautiful!
So if I can get a female backup singer doing the ooos and aaas and not having to put up with the FVS "Female Vocalist Syndrome" - that is a plus in my book smile

DocZ

I actually disagree with you on this one. I don't remember having any choirs on the T2. The T4 has many Choirs that are just breathtaking. The Boys/Man's Choir is two that I can think of off the top of my head. I don't remember the Pa2xpro I had having any decent choirs either. I haven't heard enough Pa3x demos or played it live to determine how it competes with the T4; I don't know how you can either.

Just one example of how I use choirs practically is using the Gospel Hmmmmm choir is in the breakdown of Elvis "Suspicious Minds". When I play that voice during that song, people go nuts. That's a very different sound then you'd play during the Stone's "You can't always get what you want". I played the Boys Choir during Canon in D during a Wedding Ceremony and everyone commented how beautiful it sounded.

Don't underestimate the importance of good voices. I hope the Korg Pa3 voices are as good as the T4's because that means those customers who purchase that keyboard will be satisfied.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/11/11 09:32 AM

Al, I'm with you...The Tyros4 finally took a forward step to me adding vocal sounds that sound like vocals...up to this time...only Roland had the vocal tones that worked...The PA800 doesn't and compared to the previous Tyros models..the PA800 was better....

Actually the Tyros4 is the only Yamaha arranger that I like...but the cost is a rip and it doesn't interest me...till the Tyros5 comes out...then I can find a Tyros4 for under 2g's.. smile

Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/11/11 07:17 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BV07XSHqIM&feature=player_embedded#at=16

That is pretty cool and it's part of the Entertainers Pack.

Fran, I purchased my T4 from Frank and i thought it was a good deal. It was less than I paid for the Pa2xpro.

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/11/11 07:24 PM

Ahhh that's awful. oowehoo how useless.

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/11/11 07:25 PM

This voice made me laugh out loud!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Z8m7BZaNRug

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/11/11 07:27 PM

OMG even worse. cry

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/11/11 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: kbrkr

Ha Ha! That is so cool!

I like it!

Ian

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/12/11 05:29 PM

Cool? Now this pack is cool especially at 3.05 the intro of Ladys Night by kool and the gang.

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/12/11 06:16 PM

I'm happy with the Tyros4 as it is.

Plenty of awesome sounds and styles...I'm still exploring.

Where I have my fun (as I do with all of the Yamaha arrangers), is customizing the styles and OTS to let me put my own stamp on the music I play.

I guess it's human nature to want more, but, I must say, so far I'm more than satisfied with the basic Tyros4 without any frills.

The SA/SA2 sounds are mind-blowers, and the SA Organs are are close enough to a real B-3 (and I play a real B-3) to keep me very satisfied for some time to come.

I'm glad I spent my savings on a Tyros4...I'm broke...but, I'm happy. grin

Ian
Posted by: Burkels

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/13/11 02:59 AM

Oh sweet Lord... They're actually charging money for that?

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/13/11 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Burkels

Oh sweet Lord... They're actually charging money for that?

Ha Ha...the money they collect is for therapy for the yodeler. grin

You don't yodel, Burkels? wink

Do the Dutch have their own version of yodeling?

Here in Cape Breton, yodeling only occurs after striking one's thumb with a hammer.

Ian

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/13/11 04:59 AM

I challenge everyone to show me another manufacturer besides Yamaha who is adding more value to their arranger line by adding NEW Styles, NEW Multi-Pads, NEW Registrations,and NEW VOICES?

Laugh all you want, but it is a very cozy marriage; Yamaha is making money, and their customers are reaping the rewards of having more expandability options.

Is Ketron doing this? NOPE
Is Korg doing this? NOPE
Is Roland doing this? NOPE
Is Lionstracs doing this? NOPE
Is Casio doing this? NOPE

If they were, I'd probably have one of those manufacturers products in my studio.

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/13/11 05:11 AM

thats exactly the point kbrkr ! yamaha are the only manufacturer that help extend the life of your original arranger. Styles and high quality sounds are the life blood of any arranger . Yamaha understand this and execute exceptionally well. If they could catch up with korg in terms of full workstation capabilities they would completely dominate arranger sales.

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/13/11 06:09 AM

I agree with Al and Spalding...styles and high quality sounds are the life blood of any arranger, and it's really cool to see Yamaha provide these fresh new sounds and styles to their customers.

When you see what happening with other companies, some even dropping their keyboard arrangers altogether, it is very heartening to see Yamaha adding more value and keeping their customers happy.

That said wink , I'd love to hear Burkels yodeling. crazy

Ian

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/13/11 07:00 AM

I must be a different animal....none of the things you guys consider to be the "lifeline" are that important to me smile

I want a keyboard that works well on stage, a keyboard that can edit on the fly...a keyboard with a selected group of say 20-30 styles that are of high quality(..Can't use hundreds or thousands)..but if I did need them I have thousands on board. grin

I don't need or want a bunch of registrations, or one touch settings..or pads..

I want a keyboard that handles less..best..a keyboard that easily goes into a player mode...that is a drum style , left hand bass, piano, and a color sound...A keyboard with quality sounds, a handful of bread and butter sounds...I want a keyboard that handles and plays SMF's, more so than just style play ...one with markers and covers..

I already have this and there is no need to look to the future, my gear will still be doing this 5-10 years from now....just as well s it does now..

I guess I am saying I am already content, but for different reasons than you guys.. smile

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/13/11 08:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
I must be a different animal....none of the things you guys consider to be the "lifeline" are that important to me smile

I want a keyboard that works well on stage, a keyboard that can edit on the fly...a keyboard with a selected group of say 20-30 styles that are of high quality(..Can't use hundreds or thousands)..but if I did need them I have thousands on board. grin

I already have this and there is no need to look to the future, my gear will still be doing this 5-10 years from now....just as well s it does now..

I guess I am saying I am already content, but for different reasons than you guys.. smile

Wow! Fran, that is a wonderful endorsement for the G-70.

I feel the same way about my Tyros4.

I wouldn't say you're a "different animal"...most of us want, and have, the same features that you enjoy with your G-70.

Considering it's age, it is still a viable arranger, and I'm sure you'll get many more years out of it...it's built like a tank, and will stand up to lots of use.

Having registrations, Pads, and One Touch Settings isn't necessary, I suppose, but I am very glad that Yamaha arrangers feature them because it makes performing go much more smoother (in my opinion), but I'm sure, if I had a G-70 and had to perform without them, I'd have no trouble getting by.

Kudos to you for sticking by "old faithful" and candidly sharing your reasons for doing so.

The other thing about using the G-70, is that you know it so well...you are probably the most knowledgeable person on SZ in regards to the G-70, and that familiarity and degree of expertness translate into the instrument giving you and your audience the best possible sound and performance.

Roland should hire you as a promoter for their new product (really, they should), the BK-7m, which, on the whole, appears to have a tad more detail in the styles than earlier Roland arrangers, but would easily be a product you could showcase to it's best advantage.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Fran.

Ian

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/13/11 09:39 AM

Fran, I see your point and agree somewhat.

I'm not really focusing on the Styles only per se, but on the overall added value. As a SMF user, I'm sure you would appreciate all thew NEW MIDI files Yamaha releases on it's site. Not to mention styles that are targeted to current music. And some really cool voices. Even though I don't use them all, it is very comforting to know after sale support is alive and well.

Are you saying you rather purchase a keyboard from a manufacturer who does not support or add value, but rather buy a keyboard from a closed-ended product line?

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/13/11 11:03 AM

I challenge everyone to show me another manufacturer besides Yamaha who is adding more value to their arranger line by adding NEW Styles, NEW Multi-Pads, NEW Registrations,and NEW VOICES?

Laugh all you want, but it is a very cozy marriage; Yamaha is making money, and their customers are reaping the rewards of having more expandability options.

Is Ketron doing this? NOPE
Is Korg doing this? NOPE
Is Roland doing this? NOPE
Is Lionstracs doing this? NOPE
Is Casio doing this? NOPE

If they were, I'd probably have one of those manufacturers products in my studio.

If you have a keyboard that can load external sounds (Akai, VSTi etc.) you have a lot more sounds available than Yamaha provide for their instruments. (Remember Akai & VSTi are used in studios and in films)

If you have a computer based keyboard, new features etc. can be constantly added without needing to buy a new keyboard to get them.

Wersi currently has 16 Sound/Style/Pre-set option packs for its OAS 7 instruments, with many more available from 3rd party suppliers. (Including Pemo)

If you have the OAA option (Standard on new instruments) you can also directly play Yamaha styles (No conversion takes place) up to Tyros 2, thus you have access to most of the available Yamaha style library as well. (Yamaha styles are not really my cup of tea though)

So there you have it, Yamaha is not the only manufacture supporting their customer with expansions. (And don’t forget that most Korg keyboards can also load Akai samples as well)

Another advantage for any keyboard that can load external sounds beyond what the manufacture supplies is that you can buy what you want, rather than having to hope the manufacture will provide them.

Bill

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/13/11 11:18 AM

I am rather more concerned about a keyboard that UPDATES ITS OS than provides me with a completely useless set of sounds and rhythms that I'll never use unless I play in Austria!

Sure a handful of new styles and sounds (at a premium price, mind you) is OK if it fits your need, but it pales in comparison with OS updates that add entirely new capabilities to your arranger, ones that, if you were a Yamaha owner, you would simply HAVE to sell your current arranger and buy the new one, just to get. And Yamaha are just about the ONLY arranger maker that force this on their owners. ALL the other major players provide significant upgrades, usually for free. I don't play a G70.... I play a G90!

Let us not also forget that Roland have an EXTENSIVE library of extra sounds you can add via SRX cards, Korg have Akai import (the widest choice of high quality modestly sized sample sets in the world), and Wersi and Lionstracs have an essentially unlimited choice of third party sounds they can add. I don't even play a G90... I play a G90SRX!

BK-7m has been out less than a few weeks. It ALREADY has an OS upgrade adding things...

Yamaha...?

Yodels. rotf2 Where is the update that adds SA2 capabilities to a T2? Where is the update that adds the T4 sounds to the T3? Where is the update that makes T4 styles compatible with the T3?

computer

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/13/11 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Diki
I am rather more concerned about a keyboard that UPDATES ITS OS than provides me with a completely useless set of sounds and rhythms that I'll never use unless I play in Austria!

Sure a handful of new styles and sounds (at a premium price, mind you) is OK if it fits your need, but it pales in comparison with OS updates that add entirely new capabilities to your arranger, ones that, if you were a Yamaha owner, you would simply HAVE to sell your current arranger and buy the new one, just to get. And Yamaha are just about the ONLY arranger maker that force this on their owners. ALL the other major players provide significant upgrades, usually for free. I don't play a G70.... I play a G90!

Let us not also forget that Roland have an EXTENSIVE library of extra sounds you can add via SRX cards, Korg have Akai import (the widest choice of high quality modestly sized sample sets in the world), and Wersi and Lionstracs have an essentially unlimited choice of third party sounds they can add. I don't even play a G90... I play a G90SRX!

BK-7m has been out less than a few weeks. It ALREADY has an OS upgrade adding things...

Yamaha...?

Yodels. rotf2 Where is the update that adds SA2 capabilities to a T2? Where is the update that adds the T4 sounds to the T3? Where is the update that makes T4 styles compatible with the T3?

computer

So your going to load Akaii samples into a keyboard with DIMM ram and wait about 60 minutes until it boots? At least Yamaha had the forsight to add Flash Ram to the T4 so you can convert your Akaii samples to WAV and then add those samples to Flash Ram. Can you do that on your G90?

And when was the last OS release for the Pa2xpro and the G70?

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/13/11 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Wow! Fran, that is a wonderful endorsement for the G-70.

I feel the same way about my Tyros4.

I wouldn't say you're a "different animal"...most of us want, and have, the same features that you enjoy with your G-70.

Considering it's age, it is still a viable arranger, and I'm sure you'll get many more years out of it...it's built like a tank, and will stand up to lots of use.

Having registrations, Pads, and One Touch Settings isn't necessary, I suppose, but I am very glad that Yamaha arrangers feature them because it makes performing go much more smoother (in my opinion), but I'm sure, if I had a G-70 and had to perform without them, I'd have no trouble getting by.

Kudos to you for sticking by "old faithful" and candidly sharing your reasons for doing so.

The other thing about using the G-70, is that you know it so well...you are probably the most knowledgeable person on SZ in regards to the G-70, and that familiarity and degree of expertness translate into the instrument giving you and your audience the best possible sound and performance.

Roland should hire you as a promoter for their new product (really, they should), the BK-7m, which, on the whole, appears to have a tad more detail in the styles than earlier Roland arrangers, but would easily be a product you could showcase to it's best advantage.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Fran.

Ian

Ian, One touch settings and registrations (user programs) are also covered on the G70...and the pad feature is covered with D-Beam.....I just choose not to use them to the extent that you guys do...

Al, of course I want companies to continue support to their customers...the best support to me are OS update/features without the need to purchase another model to get them.....

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/13/11 12:26 PM

So your going to load Akaii samples into a keyboard with DIMM ram and wait about 60 minutes until it boots? At least Yamaha had the forsight to add Flash Ram to the T4 so you can convert your Akaii samples to WAV and then add those samples to Flash Ram. Can you do that on your G90?

And when was the last OS release for the Pa2xpro and the G70?

Al, the best Korg PA2Xpro users can do is buy the PA3Xpro if they want improvements, and to make matters worse, Korg is extremely shy about showcasing these betterments, especially "live".

Are they ashamed of the instrument?

The only updates Roland G-70 users can hope for, would be to buy a spare instrument for parts.

Roland has long moved on from that instrument.

Of course, they can always duct tape the new, and really cool BK-7m to it...that would be an update.

Ian

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/13/11 12:27 PM

Unfortunately, with the G70, your at the same mercy as the rest of us with the OS updates. The last update was April 2006. That's 5 years worth of updates and innovations that have not been realized.

So are the MediaStation and the Wersi the ONLY keyboards that have OS updates in perpetuity?

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/13/11 12:31 PM

Ian, One touch settings and registrations (user programs) are also covered on the G70...and the pad feature is covered with D-Beam.....I just choose not to use them to the extent that you guys do...

Al, of course I want companies to continue support to their customers...the best support to me are OS update/features without the need to purchase another model to get them.....

Yes, I knew the G-70 had them Fran ( I had one here for a week or so).

I was just saying I could do without them if I had to...but, they are pretty handy to me, and being basically very lazy, they are a much easier way to get around (in my opinion, of course).

The G-70 is still a good arranger, I agree. At least Roland went out in style.

Ian

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/13/11 12:37 PM

Yamaha don't even HAVE Akai import... Maybe you LIKE to go to the incredible PITA of laboriously converting all the samples to .wav form, remapping the sample splits and layers (hundreds upon hundreds of samples in a well multi-sampled drumkit or instrument) and tediously recreating the sound on a Yamaha. Me, I prefer to bring it ALL in in one command... wink

Plus, most Akai libraries have a limit of 32MB for a full load. Unlike today's GIGA sampled libraries, a premium was put on sample efficiency and RAM limits. So, most sounds load up (even at the old school speed of Korg's) a LOT faster than 60 minutes. Which, BTW, it STILL takes to load a Yamaha until you convert to the Flash RAM, which, once it's full (and you have half or less of the room that a MoXF gives you), you are stuck loading any more in JUST as glacially.

Me, I'd trade load up speed for a MUCH wider choice of sounds any day and twice on Sundays! Yamaha's available library for the Tyros is pitiful, to be even kind! They have had HOW many years to develop one, and these few sounds is all they have? Where are the multi-sampled punchy drums that many decry as the weakest feature on the arranger? Where are the warmer, more detailed pianos? Where are the full libraries of time-sliced percussion and drum grooves, breakbeats and USEFUL stuff like that? Oh, I forgot... they are too busy working on getting yodeling down!

Tyros and Motif users have for YEARS been begging for Akai import. Where is THAT? Roland have it, Korg have it, Kurzweil have it. It's not a question of licensing. It's a question of Yamaha restricting their users to their proprietary format, raping their customers with sky-high prices for pitiful few useful sounds, and going 'take it or leave it' as they usually do...

I'd have a Yamaha right now if it did Akai import.

And where was ANY OS update (that didn't fix bugs or add Yamaha Store capabilities) to a Tyros? Roland updated the G70 two or three YEARS after it was launched. Korg added the DNC capabilities and a Guitar Mode to the PA2 (imagine if Yamaha had added SA2 capabilities to a T2, so you didn't HAVE to buy a T3 to get them!) several years after launch. Sorry, but you haven't a leg to stand on on this issue...

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/13/11 01:20 PM

Unfortunately, with the G70, your at the same mercy as the rest of us with the OS updates. The last update was April 2006. That's 5 years worth of updates and innovations that have not been realized.

So are the MediaStation and the Wersi the ONLY keyboards that have OS updates in perpetuity?

Al, I think there was a G70 update (3.2) in 2008......

The G1000 had 7 OS updates..the last 3 were after the G1000 was discontinued...now that was support smile

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/13/11 01:23 PM

Wait until they stop making the MediaStation and the Wersi... THEN tell me about how many updates you get! smile

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/13/11 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Diki
Yamaha don't even HAVE Akai import... Maybe you LIKE to go to the incredible PITA of laboriously converting all the samples to .wav form, remapping the sample splits and layers (hundreds upon hundreds of samples in a well multi-sampled drumkit or instrument) and tediously recreating the sound on a Yamaha. Me, I prefer to bring it ALL in in one command... wink

Plus, most Akai libraries have a limit of 32MB for a full load. Unlike today's GIGA sampled libraries, a premium was put on sample efficiency and RAM limits. So, most sounds load up (even at the old school speed of Korg's) a LOT faster than 60 minutes. Which, BTW, it STILL takes to load a Yamaha until you convert to the Flash RAM, which, once it's full (and you have half or less of the room that a MoXF gives you), you are stuck loading any more in JUST as glacially.

Me, I'd trade load up speed for a MUCH wider choice of sounds any day and twice on Sundays! Yamaha's available library for the Tyros is pitiful, to be even kind! They have had HOW many years to develop one, and these few sounds is all they have? Where are the multi-sampled punchy drums that many decry as the weakest feature on the arranger? Where are the warmer, more detailed pianos? Where are the full libraries of time-sliced percussion and drum grooves, breakbeats and USEFUL stuff like that? Oh, I forgot... they are too busy working on getting yodeling down!

Tyros and Motif users have for YEARS been begging for Akai import. Where is THAT? Roland have it, Korg have it, Kurzweil have it. It's not a question of licensing. It's a question of Yamaha restricting their users to their proprietary format, raping their customers with sky-high prices for pitiful few useful sounds, and going 'take it or leave it' as they usually do...

I'd have a Yamaha right now if it did Akai import.

And where was ANY OS update (that didn't fix bugs or add Yamaha Store capabilities) to a Tyros? Roland updated the G70 two or three YEARS after it was launched. Korg added the DNC capabilities and a Guitar Mode to the PA2 (imagine if Yamaha had added SA2 capabilities to a T2, so you didn't HAVE to buy a T3 to get them!) several years after launch. Sorry, but you haven't a leg to stand on on this issue...

Always bordering on the Hypothetical?

No one fools around with Akai samples for Live play any longer. And I DO create my own multi-samples there are many conversion programs that will convert Akai to other formats and if your the type to actually USE an Akai sample, then you are probably well adept at conversion and Multi-sample mapping. I use quite a few samples with the Tyros from Shania Twain to Ke$ha...without the need for Akai samples.

And, you will not find the need to many OS updates on the Tyros since the operating system is mature and rock solid. It does what it is intended to do. Unlike my Roland G70 that is buggy and needs an OS update, but none will come from Roland.....in 3 years their flagship is DONE.

The Bk-7 was updated because as a new product, it was buggy. I guarantee it!

Re: Have you heard this T4 Choir Voice? - 04/13/11 04:06 PM

Quote:
If you have a keyboard that can load external sounds (Akai, VSTi etc.) you have a lot more sounds available than Yamaha provide for their instruments. (Remember Akai & VSTi are used in studios and in films)

Bill

Yes and a lot cheaper. The King of Rip off Yamaha charge 150 Euro for that Jodel crap.

Re: KORG PA-3X , official demos and manuals - 04/13/11 09:57 PM

My G70 was not INTENDED to have a Guitar Mode. Or multi band EQ on every sound. Nor was the E80 INTENDED to have MP3 playback. Just as the T2 wasn't INTENDED to have SA2 capabilities. But, magically, my G70 DOES have those abilities, and the T2 DOESN'T...

I'm still using my G70, very happily. And it does considerably more than when I bought it, and has considerably more sounds than when I bought it. And your T2 is GONE and you had to pay for a T4... But at least we are BOTH happy!

And when Yamaha have a sample library for the T4 that even comes CLOSE to what is available in Akai format, you might have a point. But just ONE small Akai sample creator has more content available than the entire Yamaha library. I still use quite a bit of Akai, in the studio, after import to my Kurzweil. And I know a LOT of pros that still use these go to libraries. Yes, a lot of people have moved on to GIGA sized libraries, but you can't really use these in any arranger simply because of the sheer SIZE of the samples. Disk streaming made any attempt to be efficient at RAM usage pointless, but when you HAVE to load these into a live keyboard sampler, especially an arranger one with a limited RAM (at least limited by GIGA standards!) your best bet to get in as much as you can is still the Akai format (or Roland, or Kurzweil). And by FAR, the largest choice, and a lot of the very best quality was in Akai format.

I don't know if you ever got to use some of the XSample library or many of the really top ones, but I can assure you, there is much is Akai format that is still the equal of many VSTi, and ALL of it can be fit into the small RAM sizes currently in arrangers. Maybe one day the Kronos streaming off an SSHD system will make its way to arrangers. Until then, smaller RAM efficient samples will still be the best use of limited resources, IMO.