Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'm right there with you Ian... I've got no objection to making money

I simply feel that sometimes our enthusiasm for arrangers here at SZ occasionally blinds us to what we are doing. I read post after post from players that seem to indicate they think playing with an arranger IS 'playing music' at it's highest level, and all I can do is shake my head... Perhaps they have never had a band that made them feel like a musical God, or perhaps they chose to forget those older musical memories, in favor of memories about musical or business differences with these players (it's all too easy to focus on the negative, but what does that say about us as musicians, when personal differences outweigh a great musical contribution?).

But I honestly think that if anyone DOES think their arranger sounds better than any combo they have ever been in, they simply have not had the luck (or talent ) to play with others of that caliber. And I feel a little sorry for them. Until you DO play with the best, it MIGHT be possible to tell yourself that your arranger IS 'making music'. But once you do, only self-deception can make you still think that.

I LOVE money I HATE self-deception

I think we have the "2008 conceited post of the year" award winner...

That's a pretty broad brush you're painting with, Diki...

We can continue this discussion on a fresh thread, but let's try and keep this one for people's comments on my original post, ok?

------------------
Bill in Dayton