I've worked with the same three guys for over ten years and am growing less and less satisfied with what we put out. The places we play love us and we get great crowds but I just don't like how we sound as much as I should.

Guys can't/won't rehearse so new material is tried on the fly, mostly on my shoulders...

I don't need the work, but these are mostly long term clients and there is definitely some fun to this. The guys are pretty good joes but seem content to show up where ever I tell them, provided its not too far away and play. A lot of it sounds really good, but as I said, We can't add new material as fast as I'd like so to me, the show seems to be getting a bit stale.

This has nothing to do with me financially. I've never taken a leaders fee and haven't collected expense money in several years. (My costs are very low.) I cut it right in quarters, which is more generous than most bandleaders do. Bottom line, if the band works once a week, I'd book myself one more NH show and be even.

Part of me says, hey...you're kind of pals with these guys, they've been loyal, your clients and audiences love you so keep it going. Work new stuff in as best you can and don't sweat it.

Another part of me says, hey...guys can't/won't rehearse, new material is difficult to add in and it's not as much fun as it used to be. Play out 2009 and call it a day.

Comments very welcome...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-31-2008).]