Yamaha uses the AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) on the Motif line of keyboards which includes the Motif XS. The Tyros/2 uses AWM (Notice no "2") wave memory. I have searched high and low for the differences between two i.e. AWM and AWM2 but I'm still not sure what they are. Maybe it has to do with the sampling rate when recording the different samples, or perhaps they are longer samples, or perhaps even recorded at a higher bit rate, or perhaps all three plus other additional reasons. Maybe Yamaha doesn't want to divulge the differences either because it is a trade secret. But whatever the differences are they are very noticable. One fine example that has been attested to is the differences in the Drum samples. The Tyros/2 drums are flat and lifeless by comparison.

I think it is time for Yamaha to step up and give their top-of-the-line arrangers the same AWM2 wave memory as in their totl workstations i.e. the Motif series. I've said it before that we are paying as much or more for Yamaha's totl arrangers as for their totl workstations so it should behoove Yamaha to provide the same technological advancements for their totl arrangers as are in their workstations.

And the sound differences go beyond just the drum samples. Some of the synth sounds in the Motif XS are simply superb as also are the Acoustic Pianos which in my opinion run circles around the Tyros/2 ac pianos. That's not to say the Tyros/2's ac pianos aren't good themselves but the Motif XS ac pianos simply out shine them quite a bit. And the AWM2 has a lot to do with it most likely.

It is going to be a real undertaking for Yamaha to come up with something that gives the T3 (although I seriously doubt Yammie will call it the Tyros3, but stranger things have happened ) - and give it the edge in sound and features to once again blow everything else out of the water. When I hear the Pa2x demos I am simply stunned and amazed by those awesome guitars. And many of the other sounds are really outstanding in my opinion. And then there's the Ketron Audya around the corner waiting to be released sometime in 2008. And I have a hunch that Roland will be releasing a new workstation shortly and then a new totl 76 key arranger waiting in the wings from them after that that will be based on the sound architecture of the new workstation.

Things are indeed progressing in the area of sound quality and also style and feature enhancements with these new and soon to be released arranger products and hopefully Yamaha will produce something that will keep them in the thick of things technology wise and in the maintaining of their lead on cutting edge features and sounds and ultimately for us the consumers who purchase and use their products.

Best,
Mike