Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Sorry, I disagree vehemently on this point. Styles can be added post-production when the keyboard is in the field. If I remember correctly, Lionstracs were going to write a style conversion engine that would allow a user of the keyboard to pretty much dump all the styles from one of the "Brand" arrangers into the Mediastation, then map them to internal Giga sounds. (Domenick, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Domenick's main responsibility is to get as much value and technology into the board and release it into public domain. Since it is an "Open" platform, Sounds, Wav's, MP3's, Styles can all be added for each individual user. What is the point of keeping the keyboard in the factory until the styles are build and polished?

I actually applaud Lionstracs aggressive approach to this board. The business model took guts and was very risky, but after 2 years, I have to tell you, I am very interested in this board.

The concept of an Open system which won't be obsolete in 2-5 years is very sexy. You can buy Professional Styles anywhere or make your own, but can you program your own VST manager? NO!

You have to admit, this is fun talking about this board and the potential it holds.

Just my two or three cents..

Kbrkr,

THANK YOU! Finally a voice of reason.
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who sees that an arranger keyboard is not simply a “style collection!” That is only one of the many important parts that contribute to the whole. And while a big keyboard company may excel in one part, the sum of the “parts” that make up the Mediastation equals a “whole” workstation that easily surpasses everything currently on the market.

You hit the nail on the head when you said, “You can buy Professional Styles anywhere or make your own, but can you program your own VST manager? NO!”
Neither can you extend the length of style parts or memory allocated for styles, beyond the limits set by the manufacturer. Neither can you design Giga HD streaming in a keyboard that has not been designed for that. Neither can you include audio wave files or mp3’s in an arranger that is not capable of that. Nor independent time stretching and pitch shifting of real-time audio. Nor incorporate high quality sequencers such as “Rosegarden” or advanced audio editing like “Audacity”. Nor use a “Pro-Tools” like DAW such as “Ardour”. Nor play an arranger backed by an 8Gb all Giga Soundfont. Nor have professional quality 24bit XLR outputs, for the very highest fidelity. Nor full video editing, nor 8 band adjustable velocity curve, nor fully programmable and flexible internal audio and midi routing between all software modules and all hardware inputs and outputs like “Jack”.

Add to this the multitude of input/output options, the high quality controls, DVD burner, and the ability to connect any USB 2.0 or Firewire device that you would like to use. Also add the advantage of having all std computer connections: printer, monitor, ps2 keyboard and mouse etc…

“To the Genesis”, Thank you for being open minded, you were one of the few over the last year who would recognize the possibilities of the Mediastation. Even before I purchased one your posts made more sense to me than those just slamming Lionstracs. To answer your question about the styles, No they are not really, really bad. I am sorry if I gave that impression, but I wanted to give a very fair and balanced review. Some of the styles are very good, some are fair and could use a little improvement, but the collection is growing rapidly as you see in Domenik’s post above. And when our collection is as large as anyone’s they will still not be able to add all the other features that we will be using.

But you will probably notice that all the negative comments seem to be coming from those who have never experienced the Mediastation. That probably will continue, but it didn’t stop me from buying the Mediastation and it didn’t stop others. In the end everyone has to make up their own mind.

Richard