Spalding,

Any system that utilizes VST's is limited by the RAM, CPU speed, and therefore polyphony is not infinite... it is not limited to Wersi.

In OAS 7 the Wersi has four slots for VST's but the sound engine itself is already running integrated sound emulators in the system. They include FM synthesis, Analog synthesis, Wavetable synthesis, and stereo sampling with GIGA and Kontakt playback functions. Any of these sound generators including VST's can be used in styles.

If one were to use an additional VST Host such as Cubase you could effectively run many VST's but eventually if you run too many VST's, you will tax the system. I'm not sure how many sounds you need but with the Wersi's factory sounds (nearly 1 GB worth), synthesis, sampling, and other synth capabilities, I seriously doubt you are going to need to run more than 4 VST's at once. Out of the box the Wersi sample library far exceeds anything I've heard from Roland, Korg, Technics, Ketron, or Yamaha. FYI... I have the Wersi Abacus Duo Pro, Mediastation X-76 Expanded, and Korg Oasys so I can listen to these side by side and compare sounds easily.

The way in which Wersi has integrated VST's into the system makes it as easy to use as pushing a few buttons. Load your VST sounds into user memory, save them, then you never have to think about it again. Just press the appropriate sound button and your VST sound is there.

The Mediastation also works in a similar manner. You use LinuxSampler to load GIGA or Kontakt files, save them, then just recall them by selecting sounds buttons. Not difficult by any stretch.

I'm not really sure why you and others feel the Wersi and MS are not capable arrangers and lack the features necessary to be top arrangers? The Wersi currently is more capable than any other arranger or workstation on the market. The Mediastation has far more features than most arrangers and workstations but it is lacking in a few areas. Domenik is already working to resolve this with an upgrade that's just around the corner. Domenik has always delivered on his software promises so I have no reason to doubt he's not going to follow through with it now.

If Wersi and Lionstracs are guilty of anything its that their limited sound demos don't show off the true capabilities of thier systems. So many people have commented how the Mediastation sounds are worse than a cheap PSR but I can tell you first hand that's not the case. Sure, some of the GM/GS sounds aren't great (no one arranger has incredible GM/GS sounds), but the synth and sampled sounds are top notch. The GIGA sounds are fantastic. Don't take my word for it, go to GigaStudio or Kontakt web site, listen to any of the GIGA or Kontakt sample sounds, then realize any of these can be utilized in the Mediastation or Wersi. Tell me what arranger from Yamaha, Roland, or Korg can compete with those types of sounds. Even my Oasys which is an awesome synthesizer workstation can't come close.

These systems can be as complex or as simple as you want them to be. The beauty of an OAS style system is that you can make it anything you want, you aren't limited to what the manufacturer gave you OOTB. Because of cost and feature set, these types of arrangers are not for everyone.

[This message has been edited by Ensnareyou (edited 12-22-2006).]