Hmmm... very interesting. I think I understand more of the feelings here about some of this. I would consider myself more of a musician than an entertainer - playing keyboards is more than my occupation, it's my preoccupation. Whatever technology offers I'm there, and not because I enjoy gadgetry as much as I enjoy the satisfaction of making it work and creating incredible music. Being an entertainer isn't something I do as well I confess, so I compensate by aiming for the kind of audience that would appreciate my art as opposed to performing in a way that would appeal to the most people. Most people do enjoy my music anyway fortunately, and I try to be who am I rather than someone I'm not and hope for the best.

I look upon the Vocaloids as giving me another avenue to explore my skills at sequencing and MIDI with, plus composition, arranging, harmony and more. If I can demo songs easier, so much the better. If I can produce commercial music and jingles with this stuff then it pays for itself the first time it's used. I'm there. I have no beef with anyone who differs but I'm sure that if I don't make the most of the technology at hand then someone else will.

Here's some more demos, some with the Vocaloids in the lead:
http://www.soundonsound.com/soundbank/YamahaVocaloid.php