I understand and share some of the sentiment expressed by Donny, Terry, and Gary. It's how I feel when I hear an arranger pattern playing an organ or synth section part. Unfortunately, how I think or feel about it isn't going to change it, so my choice will be to embrace it as much as I can.

In the purest sense, we as arranger players, including those of us who might use arrangers to perform as solo acts, have used technology in a similar way to simulate the existence of a real band to play with us ( for myself , while it's not something I do for a living, I have done it... ). Should we also decide not to use arrangers because the rythyms they produce are artifical ( they are guys and gals.. ) ? Suppose my goal is to showcase my keyboard playing and or songwriting skills and the singer is there to accompany me ? How is this that much different ? I can't play the drums at the same time I'm playing the "C3" ( another simulation ) right ? Am I fooling anyone if I use my hands and keys to produce a sax solo ?

Nope, I'm gonna embrace the technologhy as far as it can go, 'cause like it or not, it's coming and I can't stop it. My voice works ok for blues and some other stuff. I can't really write my own stuff that includes tenor ballad vocals.. not at least if I'm gonna sing it. This technology may not ever change that, but I gotta admit, the thought of the potential for it does interest me. Thanks for the info Jim.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 11-19-2003).]