Esh, I would have some concern with a 5400rpm drive. Most developers recommend something like I have (7200rpm and 8 mb Cache). This is if you are going to use the streaming from disk feature. In addition, the samples should be on a separate hard drive from your programs and os. So you could use a Firewire 800 drive to achieve your requirements with a laptop. I am playing it safe here with my advice.

Rikki & Esh, as near as I can tell the instruments are loaded into Bandstand as needed (as per your style or midi file). It is relatively fast but not instantly as in your Soundfont Wavetables. In addition, you can create Presets which include the instruments you want loaded but I think this would only include those in the 16 tracks. Also setting the buffers for the disk streaming will determine how fast instruments load as balanced against what your hard drive can handle. So I can't see anywhere where you could load all of the Bandstand instruments into memory as you do with the soundfont wavetables.

I run my system at around 2 to 3 ms (128 samples). This is setup in your soundcard. The lower this number the harder your soundcard and cpu have to work. Anything less than 10 ms is fine.

I am using the most recent version of OMB (version 8) and Jammer Live. It would be nice if Jos Maas could improve on the GUI (function & appearance) and Soundtrek come out with more styles.

May I ask why some of you selected OMB over Live - Styler?

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-27-2005).]