Thanks for all your comments and interest in this subject.

AJ & Rikki at this time I would say the quality of sound may be only marginally better than something like SGM180....not enough to warrant the costs to purchase Bandstand. For me it is the appropriate direction to take given that Bandstand has the same sampler engine as kontakt together with high quality effects. It streamlines my system....very elegant.

Quasar, I am not quite certain about your comment. NI Bandstand accepts program changes from a software sequencer or a keyboard controller keyboard. The thing I am not certain of at this point is whether I can replace one of their saxophones with one of my own. They seem accessible but I need to try it first before I comment further on this.

OLEG7, thanks for your link to the virtual saxophone....I'll take a look. Furthermore, you are correct in that I could use OMB to convert the styles from XG to the GM format.

Rikki, I have not fully checked the drums to see if they conform sufficiently to the XG standard. I will let you know as soon as I can.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 11-22-2005).]