OK, I'm really CONFUSED & FRUSTRATED now !

I finally got thru to Yamaha and spoke to the PSR keyboard technical support rep. He informed me that though a chip upgrade replacement is now available, that the chip upgrade replacement cost (both the chip & labor) would ONLY be covered by Yamaha if the keyboard was actually broken (and that it corrects that problem). I explained to him that mine is indeed broken because it doesn't do what I thought Yamaha had originally intended: save fingering modes in registration memory and save left voice parts with the right/layer parts in Memory Reg Contents, thus not able to create custom 'voice only' registrations which include the left voice. He then 'half heartedly' agreed with me and told me to have my local repair shop contact him (Yamaha).

After contacting Yamaha, my local repair shop told me that Yamaha informed them that they (Yamaha) may possibly not cover the cost of the chip upgrade, and that, if I wanted the chip update, that I may be responsible for covering the expense myself if my PSR2000 is not actually broken. I immediately called Yamaha back to attempt to find out what's going on. They told me that ROM chips updates are not necessarily released to correct problems, but to instead, add new enhanced features. Now I'm in a big dilemma. Is Yamaha actually going to cover the cost of the chip replacement or not? I'm still waiting for an answer from them. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, I'd like to hear other people's thoughts & experiences on this issue.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-06-2002).]