SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#53531 - 02/05/05 10:07 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
P/S any spellin mistakes Walter

Good one Jan!!! Can't count that high!!!. I "cheat. " look at http://www.iespell.com/
and see how I spell. Regards. Walter.

#53532 - 02/05/05 10:28 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
hey Walta
that is a reeely gud site my spelin is mutch beter cince i got the programm carnt thanky uu enuff
jan

#53533 - 02/05/05 11:17 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Retired Offline

Loc: England
Hi Keyboardcapers,

I’m only 72yrs old, I went to the
doctors last week and asked him
to lower my sex drive.
he said at my age it’s all in my head,
I said I know I want it lowered.

Fred UK

#53534 - 02/05/05 12:10 PM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Retired:
Hi Keyboardcapers,

I’m only 72yrs old, I went to the
doctors last week and asked him
to lower my sex drive.
he said at my age it’s all in my head,
I said I know I want it lowered.

Fred UK

My Dad's 72, and cracked out laughing when I told him that

#53535 - 02/07/05 08:02 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Lynch:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by D.Munson:
I can beat the lot of you for age (81) am I an old fogy?

No Derek. Your a very,very,very, nice man.
(as the advert says). Keep on playing,and you will stay young. Can you say. (apart from a few stiff joints),that you feel old?.

In your mind I bet you think you still "21"
and so you should!!

Regards.
Joe

Hi Joe,
My wife thinks I've gone to my second childhood !!!

Derek

#53536 - 02/07/05 11:17 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Wow,
I didn't realize that an old post of mine would generate so much interest especially since I was not even a part of it.

Khai,
I think I'm happy you agree with me, but I think it is just a coincidence that your friend is "a barrister near retirement". There are people of all ages with very narrow tastes in music and in their ability to adapt to the manor in which it is created.

I have one particular friend who plays a great lead guitar but he only wants to play old rock or disco. He hates anything with a violin or steel guitar.

To me, that is the beauty of music. While it is consider to the universal language it still has its many dialects. Just like a language the music you grow up with tends to be the music you like the best. I was lucky that we had all kinds of music around the house and I found I enjoy a wide range of it.

What I’ve found to be the best advice is not to try to force my tastes on others. It wins no arguments and loses friends.

------------------
Heather- Leesburg, FL PR54

#53537 - 02/07/05 12:57 PM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi There everyone.
This post has made me feel decided younger and I shall go out tomorrow and swing the clubs (golf clubs that is) with extra gusto and just to make all you older O.A.P's feel even younger, one of my fellow foursome will be 83 yrs young. He's just got one thing wrong with him________ he doesn't play keyboard_________but we can't all be perfect can we.

Regards
Peter B

#53538 - 02/09/05 03:04 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
In Luce's defence she was talking more about attitude rather than age. Being an "old fogey" is much more a case of not being open to explore new things. It's not really an issue of old age. I have known people that were "old fogeys" even though they were only 30.

I had to laugh recently. I was playing an online video game and when my opponent asked me how old I was and I said 50 he said "You're a geezer" .... I hesitated and thought about it and said back to him "Yeah I've never really thought about it before but I guess I probably am". And then I went back to shooting mortars at him in the game we were playing.

Even though I love jazz from the 30s to today I also love all genres of rock/pop. And I play in a rock cover band and we enjoy playing any style as long it is a good song. There is always garbage and there are always some real gems. You just need to be open enough so you can judge without bias. Sure not all music appeals to everyones taste but even with music that I don't really care for I can still be aware of the elements that do make it work and appeal to a number of people. In my experience no music becomes a popular commercial success without having some merit.

#53539 - 02/09/05 08:10 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Now that you have traveled through all this commentary, you will find a pot of gold at the end of the trail.
Below I have posted the website of Nigel's band that the many of you that have never had the opportunity to meet and hear Nigel play will now get that opportunity.
There are pictures, MP3's, and an opportunity to book the band if you are in the So. Cal. area, or go listen to them in person.
I had intended to go and listen to them while I am in that area the last half of this month but I don't see a booking for that time slot
Enjoy the music http://aband.com/website/index.html

Best to you Nigel and your bride and neato little dog
Bebop

#53540 - 02/09/05 11:29 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Nigel,

This debate about the term "old fogy" has taken many twists and turns. In my earlier post I suggested that the term "old fogy" is a derogatory term used to denigrate older people with whom younger people have disagreements or a dislke of the person referred to when using the term. I also suggested to Luce that she learn some manners and I accepted her apology.

I resent being placed in the category of an "old fogey" by reason of age or for being falsely accused of not being "open to explore new things" as you put it.

I've been exploring for 75 years! In terms of travel for example, I have lived and worked in the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Europe, the British Isles, and my native country, the United States. Am I an "old fogey" because I have no intention of exploring Africa, South America, or Australia? I think not.

In terms of music, I have been playing and listening to all music genres since I was just a little guy. I've listened to the indigenous music of Japan, Korea, Thailand, India, and Saudi Arabia (to name a few); I've listened to classical, country, easy listening, blues, jazz, rock and roll, and big band (to name a few more).

When I say rock and roll is a musical wasteland, I mean it in a general and personal sense. I've been listening to rock and roll since the 50s (longer than you've been living). I'm bombarded with it on TV, the Super Bowl, restaurants, super markets, shopping malls, indeed just about everywhere I go - even today as I ran errands. To my musical ears it is mainly noise pollution. I dislike most of it intensely. It pollutes my environment and I resent it.

Has good music (in my opinion) been written in the rock and roll era? Certainly! And I play the good stuff. But Sting, Springsteen, Madonna, Minogue, Clapton, Jackson (male and female), the Gallaghers (Oasis), Bono, and their like are rubbish as vocalists when compared to Eckstine, Como, Williams, Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Vaughan, and the other greats. And their music is rubbush as well. There is a currently popular male vocalist by the name of Michael Buble who has a fine voice and is making really nice recordings. Another who has a better than average voice and has produced CDs of the "standards" is Robbie Williams. In the jazz field, the current best female vocalist is in my opinion Diana Krall.

You see, Nigel, I am not an old fogey after all. I hear (explore) it all - from rock and roll, to big band, to orchestras, to country and classical as I go through my life. When I say I don't like to listen to rock and roll it is because I've been listening to it every day of my life for the past nearly 60 years and it is mainly noise to my ears. In short, I am merely exercising choice, something we all do every day of our lives. I am not an old fogey because I exclude 95% of rock and roll from my music library and playing.

Diana Krall is on my stereo at the moment and I want to listen to her because her music is good music. So excuse me. Its time to go.

Chuck

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online