SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#53511 - 02/02/05 07:04 PM Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Khai Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Dear Heather Cox,

Hi! I recently tried to introduce my long-time neighbour and friend, who is a barrister near retirement, to music created by Technics instruments. He trashed both the music and instruments as mere toys and cheap imitations of the real things.

A day later, I spent nearly an hour making some of the songs from Technicsforall.com available to him for his listening. Randomly chosen were 23 pieces, about 80 minutes of music for his private consumption in his own time and place. Still, he was decidedly unimpressed and commented that the music from TechnicsForAll.com is worse or no better than the kind of music that anyone can buy at a discount store.

His narrow musical taste and repertoire have remained the same for decades. He always likes Andrew Lloyd Weber's music the most, especially Phantom of the Opera. He has a good set of HiFi dedicated to playing again and again only those music that has caught his favour. He also owns a very old and out-of-tune player piano. All in all, he is very content with himself and his kind of music, and readily lashes out on anyone or any musical genre for which he has no admiration or affinity.

Obviously, he refuses to cut people some slack and to appreaciate all the hardwork that has gone into the development of digital instruments and also the music available for free at websites such as TechnicsForAll.com.

Hence, I agree with what you wrote at the Synth Zone as follows:

Quote:

posted 11-12-2003 12:16 PM
Hi All,

What's that they say about a gift horse! I recall just a week or so ago people were talking about having to buy styles. Here we have a bunch of free ones and people are complaining! If you don't like them don't use them but why knock them.

I seldom play a real song using a Techno Style for example but I will push the button, pull up a great sounding set synth sounds and just start playing.

What comes out may not be something I'd want any of you to hear but it sure feels good to play it at the time.

And since I'm not blessed with an SD card what would really be great is if we could load the styles we like into memory as built ins in the first place. With the addition of a USB port we should be able to connect any SD reader to the keyboard. Download the styles we want and disgard the ones we don't. Of course we can't.

Finally, of course the "old standards" sound better to someone who grew up with them. I like them because my father played them on the piano in the bars.

But to me many of the songs Alec mentioned are standards or will be 30 years from now.

Having been a mobile DJ the reason I quit is because people have developed such narrow listen habbits. If we played 2 country songs in a row the big band people would grown. Play 2 rock songs and the country people would grown. Play two Rap songs in a row and everyone growned except the kids.

Remember back in the old days when they only made two keyboards the piano and the pump organ. If you've been to the Steven Foster Museum you know that even that is not true. They had a piano with 5 sets of keys.

We all have diferent tastes so let's cut eachother some slack and appreaciate the hard work that's gone into the new FREE site.

Thanks Alec and Chris!

"And pay the man behind the curtain no mind!"

Heather

#53512 - 02/02/05 10:15 PM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Mark, Michie & Luce Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, England
Well, here we go again Khai,

I understand your comments but sometimes these 'old foggies' just won't accept new technology or practices. It's a shame but 'C'est La Vie'.

I've played some of our music (6K/7K) to my parents and friends and my opinion is that in most cases if they're under 50 they're quite happy but, as time goes on, their tastes differ, if not vary.

A possible suggestion; try playing a purely classical piece (Handel's Horn Pipe being emailed to you later today) and let them listen to it on a CD without letting them know the origin. Hope that gets a better result.

Regards to all as always,

Luce

#53513 - 02/03/05 07:52 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Khia.
Behave yourself,start all over again.
And make friends with the people you offended.
Regards.
Joe

#53514 - 02/03/05 10:02 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark, Michie & Luce:
Well, here we go again Khai,

I understand your comments but sometimes these 'old foggies' just won't accept new technology or practices. It's a shame but 'C'est La Vie'.

I am sure that your reference to OLD FOGEY'S will be accepted as quite offensive to some of our older members.
Are you not aware that maybe some people are just not interested in the technology of modern keyboards but just quite simply enjoy doing their thing playing them and if they are a bit older than yourself then you ought to respect that.
Just because it takes Khai's fancy to rattle a few people does not mean that you should jump on the wagon.
Perhaps some members do not wish to read an essay when all it needs is a couple of lines.
You know as well I do that we have quite acknowledgeable people here on the forum of which I'm sure you would agree that Alec leads the field so is it really necessary to dig up a year old post just for Khai to tell us how he really put himself out to help a neighbour out whom he found ungrateful.

#53515 - 02/03/05 11:17 AM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
gerr58 Offline

Loc: bristol, uk
Well i supose you could class me as an old fogey and i'm not offended, i also happen to agree with what Khai is saying, anyone is entitled to post their views on this site its the bitchy comments of a few who are spoiling it

#53516 - 02/03/05 01:40 PM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by gerr58:
Well i supose you could class me as an old fogey and i'm not offended, i also happen to agree with what Khai is saying, anyone is entitled to post their views on this site its the bitchy comments of a few who are spoiling it

please expand on the "bitchy" comments and who are the famous few making them because I certainly have not seen any "bitchy comments".
Still I suspect it is quite nice for Khai at least to someone on the forum agree with him.

#53517 - 02/03/05 01:45 PM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
gerr58 Offline

Loc: bristol, uk
Say no more.

#53518 - 02/03/05 02:32 PM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Luce,

I happen to be an "Old Foggy" as you so rudely referred to those of us who are older than you. I had my 75th birthday recently. I have a computer running at 3.2 GHz with Windows XP Pro as my operating system. I also have a KN7000 and a KN6000. I accept new technologies and use them. BUT, you will never hear me playing any of the pop music of today because in my experience as a musician for the past 62 years, most of today's music is a wasteland. My opinion of course. Give me orchestras, big bands, jazz and country bands playing the music of the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s. That is quality music! I am exercising my right to express my preferences for music.

I wouldn't dream of talking to you the way you talk to me and the majority of us on this website who are, incidentally, very likely over 50.

Learn some manners young lady!

Chuck

#53519 - 02/03/05 03:53 PM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I'll second what you say Chuck - "good on yer" as they say.

Aud

#53520 - 02/03/05 04:02 PM Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Folks. I am 76 Years old. Now let me say, right from the start I agree with our senior citizens.
In Great Britain that is what we are called. It is much better than old fogies. I am, an out and out Jazz/Swing/Modern jazz/Trad/ etc. that was the music I grew up with, Big Bands, that’s what I heard on the radio, all the time, all day and night, and I loved it. So you know my feelings.

Right, try telling that to my 15 year Granddaughter!!! She has a mind of her own, and listens to the present day “Rubbish” she loves it.

Now!!! Who am I to say “Hey you are wrong” because she is listening to pops all the time. And loving it.

I know all us senior citizens, love music. My point is, if we were 15 years old would we like and enjoy today’s music, or is it the kind of music we were brought up on that determines our choice and likes?.
I will never change my mind. That’s for sure. But can we agree.
Each to his/her own choice. I know I am dogmatic, but this time I want be
Pedantic.
We love music “We Senior citizens”
Regards.
Joe.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online