Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments

Posted by: Khai

Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/02/05 07:04 PM

Dear Heather Cox,

Hi! I recently tried to introduce my long-time neighbour and friend, who is a barrister near retirement, to music created by Technics instruments. He trashed both the music and instruments as mere toys and cheap imitations of the real things.

A day later, I spent nearly an hour making some of the songs from Technicsforall.com available to him for his listening. Randomly chosen were 23 pieces, about 80 minutes of music for his private consumption in his own time and place. Still, he was decidedly unimpressed and commented that the music from TechnicsForAll.com is worse or no better than the kind of music that anyone can buy at a discount store.

His narrow musical taste and repertoire have remained the same for decades. He always likes Andrew Lloyd Weber's music the most, especially Phantom of the Opera. He has a good set of HiFi dedicated to playing again and again only those music that has caught his favour. He also owns a very old and out-of-tune player piano. All in all, he is very content with himself and his kind of music, and readily lashes out on anyone or any musical genre for which he has no admiration or affinity.

Obviously, he refuses to cut people some slack and to appreaciate all the hardwork that has gone into the development of digital instruments and also the music available for free at websites such as TechnicsForAll.com.

Hence, I agree with what you wrote at the Synth Zone as follows:

Quote:

posted 11-12-2003 12:16 PM
Hi All,

What's that they say about a gift horse! I recall just a week or so ago people were talking about having to buy styles. Here we have a bunch of free ones and people are complaining! If you don't like them don't use them but why knock them.

I seldom play a real song using a Techno Style for example but I will push the button, pull up a great sounding set synth sounds and just start playing.

What comes out may not be something I'd want any of you to hear but it sure feels good to play it at the time.

And since I'm not blessed with an SD card what would really be great is if we could load the styles we like into memory as built ins in the first place. With the addition of a USB port we should be able to connect any SD reader to the keyboard. Download the styles we want and disgard the ones we don't. Of course we can't.

Finally, of course the "old standards" sound better to someone who grew up with them. I like them because my father played them on the piano in the bars.

But to me many of the songs Alec mentioned are standards or will be 30 years from now.

Having been a mobile DJ the reason I quit is because people have developed such narrow listen habbits. If we played 2 country songs in a row the big band people would grown. Play 2 rock songs and the country people would grown. Play two Rap songs in a row and everyone growned except the kids.

Remember back in the old days when they only made two keyboards the piano and the pump organ. If you've been to the Steven Foster Museum you know that even that is not true. They had a piano with 5 sets of keys.

We all have diferent tastes so let's cut eachother some slack and appreaciate the hard work that's gone into the new FREE site.

Thanks Alec and Chris!

"And pay the man behind the curtain no mind!"

Heather

Posted by: Mark, Michie & Luce

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/02/05 10:15 PM

Well, here we go again Khai,

I understand your comments but sometimes these 'old foggies' just won't accept new technology or practices. It's a shame but 'C'est La Vie'.

I've played some of our music (6K/7K) to my parents and friends and my opinion is that in most cases if they're under 50 they're quite happy but, as time goes on, their tastes differ, if not vary.

A possible suggestion; try playing a purely classical piece (Handel's Horn Pipe being emailed to you later today) and let them listen to it on a CD without letting them know the origin. Hope that gets a better result.

Regards to all as always,

Luce
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/03/05 07:52 AM

Hi Khia.
Behave yourself,start all over again.
And make friends with the people you offended.
Regards.
Joe
Posted by: Johnnie.c

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/03/05 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark, Michie & Luce:
Well, here we go again Khai,

I understand your comments but sometimes these 'old foggies' just won't accept new technology or practices. It's a shame but 'C'est La Vie'.

I am sure that your reference to OLD FOGEY'S will be accepted as quite offensive to some of our older members.
Are you not aware that maybe some people are just not interested in the technology of modern keyboards but just quite simply enjoy doing their thing playing them and if they are a bit older than yourself then you ought to respect that.
Just because it takes Khai's fancy to rattle a few people does not mean that you should jump on the wagon.
Perhaps some members do not wish to read an essay when all it needs is a couple of lines.
You know as well I do that we have quite acknowledgeable people here on the forum of which I'm sure you would agree that Alec leads the field so is it really necessary to dig up a year old post just for Khai to tell us how he really put himself out to help a neighbour out whom he found ungrateful.
Posted by: gerr58

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/03/05 11:17 AM

Well i supose you could class me as an old fogey and i'm not offended, i also happen to agree with what Khai is saying, anyone is entitled to post their views on this site its the bitchy comments of a few who are spoiling it

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/03/05 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gerr58:
Well i supose you could class me as an old fogey and i'm not offended, i also happen to agree with what Khai is saying, anyone is entitled to post their views on this site its the bitchy comments of a few who are spoiling it

please expand on the "bitchy" comments and who are the famous few making them because I certainly have not seen any "bitchy comments".
Still I suspect it is quite nice for Khai at least to someone on the forum agree with him.
Posted by: gerr58

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/03/05 01:45 PM

Say no more.
Posted by: Chuck Piper

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/03/05 02:32 PM

Luce,

I happen to be an "Old Foggy" as you so rudely referred to those of us who are older than you. I had my 75th birthday recently. I have a computer running at 3.2 GHz with Windows XP Pro as my operating system. I also have a KN7000 and a KN6000. I accept new technologies and use them. BUT, you will never hear me playing any of the pop music of today because in my experience as a musician for the past 62 years, most of today's music is a wasteland. My opinion of course. Give me orchestras, big bands, jazz and country bands playing the music of the 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s. That is quality music! I am exercising my right to express my preferences for music.

I wouldn't dream of talking to you the way you talk to me and the majority of us on this website who are, incidentally, very likely over 50.

Learn some manners young lady!

Chuck
Posted by: Audrey Turner

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/03/05 03:53 PM

I'll second what you say Chuck - "good on yer" as they say.

Aud

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/03/05 04:02 PM

Hi Folks. I am 76 Years old. Now let me say, right from the start I agree with our senior citizens.
In Great Britain that is what we are called. It is much better than old fogies. I am, an out and out Jazz/Swing/Modern jazz/Trad/ etc. that was the music I grew up with, Big Bands, that’s what I heard on the radio, all the time, all day and night, and I loved it. So you know my feelings.

Right, try telling that to my 15 year Granddaughter!!! She has a mind of her own, and listens to the present day “Rubbish” she loves it.

Now!!! Who am I to say “Hey you are wrong” because she is listening to pops all the time. And loving it.

I know all us senior citizens, love music. My point is, if we were 15 years old would we like and enjoy today’s music, or is it the kind of music we were brought up on that determines our choice and likes?.
I will never change my mind. That’s for sure. But can we agree.
Each to his/her own choice. I know I am dogmatic, but this time I want be
Pedantic.
We love music “We Senior citizens”
Regards.
Joe.

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/04/05 12:27 AM

Hi All.
Just start by saying that I am 66 and probably one of the younger old age pensioners frequenting this forum. It is a fact that we were brought up on feast of excellent music, George Shearing, The duke,
Ted Heath, etc. etc.but I dont think anyone should knock all the modern music. Everyone,
regardless of age, should look at all types of music. Some of the music that has been written in the last few years is exceptionally good, I agree that there is also quite a lot of rubbish, but even in 'our era' as you might call it, there was also some rubbish tunes.Good music is whatever you enjoy playing, I personally enjoy the rock 'n' roll stuff because I think it has had the greatest impact on popular music over the last fifty years.
The thing is you have the facility of a fantastic keyboard in the KN and you can sit at it and play anything that takes your fancy. So to finish, my favourite big band piece is 'Skyliner', and to the other extreme is 'Road to Hell' by Chris Rea and when they finally put me in a box and send me off to wherever we go, these are the two tunes they will play for me.

Regards to all
Peter B

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/04/05 05:27 AM

Hi Peter
Shades of “I’ll Remember April” and Charlie Barnett.
In my box will be Trumpet Blues (Harry James)
Ted Heath (Listen to my music) his signature tune.
April in Paris, (One more time) And millions of others.
But as nearly all the musicians now are in heaven.
I will be able to hear them Live (or dead) I’ll be there
Regards.
Joe
Posted by: Mark, Michie & Luce

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/04/05 07:00 AM

For Johnnie.c,

Having read through the above, believe me I didn't mean in anyway to offend the older members of the forum. Some of my friends meet this category and I trust them more than some friends of my own age (18 going on 19).

To all those offended, you have my sincere apoligies and deepest regards.

As ever,

Luce

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/04/05 08:27 AM

hi luce
We're to old and to wise to take offence.

Peter B

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/04/05 12:42 PM

Luce,

I love the outdoors, so my 78 year old skin may be thicker than others. Foggie is much nicer than Goat.

Peace brother and sisters.

Fran (Looking forward to 79) in Florida
Posted by: kozykeys

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/05/05 06:39 AM

hi there everyone i have not been on the site for a while I have just qualified for the title of senior citizen and love music of every kind,but enjoy some more than others as i love food but enjoy chocolate ice cream more than sprouts, why is everyone bothered about other peoples taste in music , there is good and bad in all genres,and all eras, if you are over 60 listen to Britney Spears "Everytime", if you are under 40 listen to Ella Fitzgerald "Everytime we say Goodbye" If you are between 40 and 60 listen to them both. I think they are both lovely songs but maybe you do not!

Just a thought
Jan
P/S any spellin mistakes Walter

[This message has been edited by kozykeys (edited 02-05-2005).]
Posted by: D.Munson

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/05/05 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kozykeys:
hi there everyone i have not been on the site for a while I have just qualified for the title of senior citizen and love music of every kind,but enjoy some more than others as i love food but enjoy chocolate ice cream more than sprouts, why is everyone bothered about other peoples taste in music , there is good and bad in all genres,and all eras, if you are over 60 listen to Britney Spears "Everytime", if you are under 40 listen to Ella Fitzgerald "Everytime we say Goodbye" If you are between 40 and 60 listen to them both. I think they are both lovely songs but maybe you do not!

Just a thought
Jan

[This message has been edited by kozykeys (edited 02-05-2005).]

Hi All,

I can beat the lot of you for age (81)I love music of all types even some modern songs.
I love playing my KN7000 and using my computer am I an old fogy?

Derek Munson

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/05/05 08:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by D.Munson:
I can beat the lot of you for age (81) am I an old fogy?

No Derek. Your a very,very,very, nice man.
(as the advert says). Keep on playing,and you will stay young. Can you say. (apart from a few stiff joints),that you feel old?.

In your mind I bet you think you still "21"
and so you should!!

Regards.
Joe
Posted by: Keyboardcapers

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/05/05 09:49 AM

I've still got the mind of an eighteen year old, it's just the body I wanna get rid of.

Keyboardcapers
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/05/05 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by D.Munson:
Hi All,

I can beat the lot of you for age (81)I love music of all types even some modern songs.
I love playing my KN7000 and using my computer am I an old fogy?

Derek Munson

Wow, Derek, I had no idea you were that old. I thought I was about the oldest one here and I am only 73 this month. I hope I get to 81 and still able to play these keyboards.
BEst to you and all others that are my senior peers
Bebop
PS: Who is the oldest and youngest in this forum? Never mind I will go start another thread in the Bar Forum, if I can remember what I am there for when I get there
Bb
Posted by: Walter McLaren

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/05/05 10:07 AM

Good one Jan!!! Can't count that high!!!. I "cheat. " look at http://www.iespell.com/
and see how I spell. Regards. Walter.
Posted by: kozykeys

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/05/05 10:28 AM

hey Walta
that is a reeely gud site my spelin is mutch beter cince i got the programm carnt thanky uu enuff
jan
Posted by: Retired

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/05/05 11:17 AM

Hi Keyboardcapers,

I’m only 72yrs old, I went to the
doctors last week and asked him
to lower my sex drive.
he said at my age it’s all in my head,
I said I know I want it lowered.

Fred UK
Posted by: Jupitar5

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/05/05 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Retired:
Hi Keyboardcapers,

I’m only 72yrs old, I went to the
doctors last week and asked him
to lower my sex drive.
he said at my age it’s all in my head,
I said I know I want it lowered.

Fred UK

My Dad's 72, and cracked out laughing when I told him that
Posted by: D.Munson

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/07/05 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Lynch:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by D.Munson:
I can beat the lot of you for age (81) am I an old fogy?

No Derek. Your a very,very,very, nice man.
(as the advert says). Keep on playing,and you will stay young. Can you say. (apart from a few stiff joints),that you feel old?.

In your mind I bet you think you still "21"
and so you should!!

Regards.
Joe

Hi Joe,
My wife thinks I've gone to my second childhood !!!

Derek
Posted by: shcox

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/07/05 11:17 AM

Wow,
I didn't realize that an old post of mine would generate so much interest especially since I was not even a part of it.

Khai,
I think I'm happy you agree with me, but I think it is just a coincidence that your friend is "a barrister near retirement". There are people of all ages with very narrow tastes in music and in their ability to adapt to the manor in which it is created.

I have one particular friend who plays a great lead guitar but he only wants to play old rock or disco. He hates anything with a violin or steel guitar.

To me, that is the beauty of music. While it is consider to the universal language it still has its many dialects. Just like a language the music you grow up with tends to be the music you like the best. I was lucky that we had all kinds of music around the house and I found I enjoy a wide range of it.

What I’ve found to be the best advice is not to try to force my tastes on others. It wins no arguments and loses friends.

------------------
Heather- Leesburg, FL PR54

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/07/05 12:57 PM

Hi There everyone.
This post has made me feel decided younger and I shall go out tomorrow and swing the clubs (golf clubs that is) with extra gusto and just to make all you older O.A.P's feel even younger, one of my fellow foursome will be 83 yrs young. He's just got one thing wrong with him________ he doesn't play keyboard_________but we can't all be perfect can we.

Regards
Peter B
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/09/05 03:04 AM

In Luce's defence she was talking more about attitude rather than age. Being an "old fogey" is much more a case of not being open to explore new things. It's not really an issue of old age. I have known people that were "old fogeys" even though they were only 30.

I had to laugh recently. I was playing an online video game and when my opponent asked me how old I was and I said 50 he said "You're a geezer" .... I hesitated and thought about it and said back to him "Yeah I've never really thought about it before but I guess I probably am". And then I went back to shooting mortars at him in the game we were playing.

Even though I love jazz from the 30s to today I also love all genres of rock/pop. And I play in a rock cover band and we enjoy playing any style as long it is a good song. There is always garbage and there are always some real gems. You just need to be open enough so you can judge without bias. Sure not all music appeals to everyones taste but even with music that I don't really care for I can still be aware of the elements that do make it work and appeal to a number of people. In my experience no music becomes a popular commercial success without having some merit.
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/09/05 08:10 AM

Now that you have traveled through all this commentary, you will find a pot of gold at the end of the trail.
Below I have posted the website of Nigel's band that the many of you that have never had the opportunity to meet and hear Nigel play will now get that opportunity.
There are pictures, MP3's, and an opportunity to book the band if you are in the So. Cal. area, or go listen to them in person.
I had intended to go and listen to them while I am in that area the last half of this month but I don't see a booking for that time slot
Enjoy the music http://aband.com/website/index.html

Best to you Nigel and your bride and neato little dog
Bebop
Posted by: Chuck Piper

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/09/05 11:29 AM

Hi Nigel,

This debate about the term "old fogy" has taken many twists and turns. In my earlier post I suggested that the term "old fogy" is a derogatory term used to denigrate older people with whom younger people have disagreements or a dislke of the person referred to when using the term. I also suggested to Luce that she learn some manners and I accepted her apology.

I resent being placed in the category of an "old fogey" by reason of age or for being falsely accused of not being "open to explore new things" as you put it.

I've been exploring for 75 years! In terms of travel for example, I have lived and worked in the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Europe, the British Isles, and my native country, the United States. Am I an "old fogey" because I have no intention of exploring Africa, South America, or Australia? I think not.

In terms of music, I have been playing and listening to all music genres since I was just a little guy. I've listened to the indigenous music of Japan, Korea, Thailand, India, and Saudi Arabia (to name a few); I've listened to classical, country, easy listening, blues, jazz, rock and roll, and big band (to name a few more).

When I say rock and roll is a musical wasteland, I mean it in a general and personal sense. I've been listening to rock and roll since the 50s (longer than you've been living). I'm bombarded with it on TV, the Super Bowl, restaurants, super markets, shopping malls, indeed just about everywhere I go - even today as I ran errands. To my musical ears it is mainly noise pollution. I dislike most of it intensely. It pollutes my environment and I resent it.

Has good music (in my opinion) been written in the rock and roll era? Certainly! And I play the good stuff. But Sting, Springsteen, Madonna, Minogue, Clapton, Jackson (male and female), the Gallaghers (Oasis), Bono, and their like are rubbish as vocalists when compared to Eckstine, Como, Williams, Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Vaughan, and the other greats. And their music is rubbush as well. There is a currently popular male vocalist by the name of Michael Buble who has a fine voice and is making really nice recordings. Another who has a better than average voice and has produced CDs of the "standards" is Robbie Williams. In the jazz field, the current best female vocalist is in my opinion Diana Krall.

You see, Nigel, I am not an old fogey after all. I hear (explore) it all - from rock and roll, to big band, to orchestras, to country and classical as I go through my life. When I say I don't like to listen to rock and roll it is because I've been listening to it every day of my life for the past nearly 60 years and it is mainly noise to my ears. In short, I am merely exercising choice, something we all do every day of our lives. I am not an old fogey because I exclude 95% of rock and roll from my music library and playing.

Diana Krall is on my stereo at the moment and I want to listen to her because her music is good music. So excuse me. Its time to go.

Chuck
Posted by: The Leans

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/09/05 02:09 PM

Well said Chuck. I'm sure many of us hold similar views. -- And Luce -- A message for you --- Quote:- 'old foggies just won't accept new technology or practices'. !! My apologies, but what a narrow-minded bigoted statement that is.

Many of we 'old foggies' (I'm 73yrs young) wouldn't be experiencing the pleasure of your verbiage, if we didn't embrace the wonderful technology of our keyboards. They can do things for our musical abilities, which in our youth would have been beyond our wildest dreams.

However, modern musical technology must surely be combined with musical talent, in an effort to ensure that this technology is not wasted. And it is this term 'musical ability' that makes we 'old foggies' despair and dislike much of what passes today as popular music.-- All summed up by a recent experience of mine. I had the opportunity to drop in on a session of modern young musicians, practising for a local gig. I quickly became involved in an argument about 'actual playing capabilities. My 'old foggy' views went completely unheeded. Until I asked one of them to sit down, and play 'God Save The Queen' in 6 different keys. (just simple single -note plucking). --- The argument ended. !!! It really does seem that in general terms, actual musical talent and ability, is totally drowned by the market forces of 'manufactured stars'. !! --- Think I prefer to stay a Gershwin loving - Oscar Peterson loving 'old foggy'. It's a world of brilliance.

Colin leaney

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/09/05 03:37 PM

Luce and Members,

0ne word "FOOGIES". How people accept a word is interesting. Some shrug it off, not as an insult and others find it insulting.
I agree with most of the comments about generations and music and think we should give a little slack to what the author had in mine. It certainly was not an insult to this older Foogie.

Live and let live.

Fran gittn' older in Florida

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/09/05 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark, Michie & Luce:
For Johnnie.c,
To all those offended, you have my sincere apoligies and deepest regards.As ever,Luce

Luce
I am sure that your derogatory reference to old fogey was not made with any intent in mind and I am sure it rolled off the end of your tongue without you giving it any thought what-so-ever and I am sure that your apology has been accepted by most of the older members of the forum. You can see how emotive such a statement as old fogey (a dull old fashioned person) male or female can be where as Nigel's reference to geezer on the other hand simply means (old one) but in terms of London slang old geezer would be a reference to an old man who on the other hand is far from dull but in fact street wise.
Posted by: RMepstead

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/10/05 01:13 AM

Hiya Johnnie
He walked the streets on his plates of meat - I love cockney rhyming slang having been brought up on it in the 40's and 50's - I was born in 'Ackney 'Orspital and grew up in Stoke Newington in Norf Lunnon...
Rog
Cor luvva duck
Posted by: The Leans

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/10/05 01:43 AM

Hi Roger,

Not 'arf you are a cockney. !

'Spect yer mum swiftly went down the 'frog and toad', then waltzed up the 'apples and pears' before giving 'birff' to your goodself. -- Up the 'Ammers' and Trevor Brooking. Cheers,

Colin. (one of yer own).

Re: Narrow Taste in Music & Aversion to Digital Instruments - 02/10/05 05:57 AM

I'll get you on the dog and bone.but right now, I gotta go art an pick up mi new whistle and flute.
Bye Love.
Joe