SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#448445 - 03/12/18 02:15 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
[quote=Dnj]
I rather listen to a great player with average vocals than a great vocalist that can't play to save their life (always backing tracks)..

I agree only the really good experienced players can create really good backing tracks and sing.. nobody cares how its done after all its not 1940 its 2018 cool2

Edited by Dnj (03/12/18 02:15 PM)

#448448 - 03/12/18 02:22 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Terrysutt]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
" nobody cares how its done after all its not 1940 its 2018"

Isn't that the truth!!!

#448452 - 03/12/18 02:31 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

" nobody cares how its done after all its not 1940 its 2018"

Isn't that the truth!!!

it certainly is....

#448460 - 03/12/18 03:52 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

how many times have you played some wild chords that you have no ideas what they are but sound great .....

#448464 - 03/12/18 04:28 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
how many times have you played some wild chords that you have no ideas what they are but sound great .....

Actually....never.... I play unusual chords, but I know what I am playing.. smile

#448477 - 03/12/18 05:38 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

Actually....never.... I play unusual chords, but I know what I am playing.. smile

+1

chas

#448478 - 03/12/18 05:49 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Terrysutt]
Dnj Offline

Funny all this talk about a great song using all these amazing chord structures yet not one poster demo example of these beautiful chords in use so we can hear what anyone is talking about?..

Edited by Dnj (03/12/18 05:50 PM)

#448491 - 03/12/18 09:04 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Terrysutt]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Fran, Chas, Tony, Donnie, all great comments, and correct. You need to keep in mind that I'm speaking as a Sax Player, not a vocalist. I sing in what key that I'm able. I do vocals 80 to 90 percent in the original key. I do play them in the original key and just transpose if necessary.

A Sax Player has to play in the original key. If I heard a Sax Man play "Body and Soul" in C I'd have to think he can't play in Db. That is one of the hardest keys for Sax. However after you work with it for some time, it sounds best in that key. The bridge changes to the key of D and then the second half of the bridge changes to C which is really easy to play in and allows a bunch of great sounding licks an experienced sax man can play at the turn around to get back to Db for the last verse.

One Sax Guy who is talking chord theory with a zillion vocalist is going to cause confusion and more so with many vocalists who aren't musicians at all and work with midi files or Karaoke. No offense meant whatsoever to entertainers. I'm just stating a normal problem in this forum setting, OK?

Chas, tomorrow I'll knock the cobwebs off the arranger and find that chord in Georgia. I do it in G and it is a Gb something or other which corresponds with the E7 in your key of F just as a passing chord to the A7 [A9]. It's so subtle but when you do it and hear Ray's version it is just really sweet huh? When you play tunes like this with folks who know and then you hear it played with half of the changes left out, it really leaves much to be desired and sounds annoying eh, Chas?

#448492 - 03/12/18 09:26 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Terrysutt]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Donnie, I wish you were out here a few years back when I was playing kinda of regular. At that time, I tried three different recorders and just couldn't get the balance or enough good sounding mics set up to sound good with the sax.If I set the mics for the high end the low end was weak. If I set the mic for the low end, the high end was weak. I had pros tell me that setting up to record Sax was one of the hardest instruments to record because every note did not go just through the bell like a trombone, trumpet and other wind instruments. Sound comes out everywhere on a Tenor sax because of it being longer than an alto may be a problem. I just do not know. So, I gave up/ I just recorded some things that were passable vocals while playing the arranger on a sony mini recorder that was a bit easier and sounded better, but man recording sax in my little office was almost funny. I just couldn't figure my 8 track Tascam Recorder out to do a good job. It was taking to much time and I rather practice at the time. Maybe 10 years ago.

Since my Son passed away in September 2014 of Esophageal Cancer, I just lost every ounce of my ambition to play anymore buddy.

#448500 - 03/13/18 07:16 AM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Terrysutt]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Here is one example of an arrangement that incorporates Boo's "lost chord". However, there are just as many versions of it that omit the passing chord (including the famous Oscar Peterson version). So, like so many things in music, it comes down to personal taste (not what's right or wrong). If it sounds good, then it was 'right'.

chas

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online