Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#448382 - 03/11/18 08:43 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Terrysutt]
Dnj Offline

I just play everything in C... Use the transposer and sing lol

Edited by Dnj (03/11/18 08:45 PM)

#448400 - 03/12/18 09:21 AM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Terrysutt]
124 Offline

I'm okay with C, D, E, F, G and A, but for whatever reason, I won't touch the key of B. None of the # keys either. Weird, huh?

Only reason I can think of is playing all those years in groups with guitar players and no transpose keys to cater to different vocal ranges.

#448406 - 03/12/18 10:11 AM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Terrysutt]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Fran a Cdim7 if you talking these notes C, Eb, Gb, Bb is also called an Ebm6 and then it sounds really scary when referred to as a Cm7b5, eh?

#448427 - 03/12/18 12:58 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: brickboo]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By brickboo

As a matter of fact, I left off a great chord before going to the E7 chord in the key of C.

I don't think I'll add chords to anything posted again it seems to confuse some which I do not want to do/.

C'mon, boo ... no holding out ... there are some of us who are trying to LEARN here from the Jazz guys like you, chas, Russ, and others ... so what's the great chord you left out???

#448429 - 03/12/18 01:10 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Terrysutt]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I forgot to mention... I play Georgia in Eb..

My favorite key for most old tunes... And most were in Eb originally. (Old Cape Cod...I wish you love... PS I love you...To each his own.... etc)

#448432 - 03/12/18 01:33 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Terrysutt]
Dnj Offline

you play in the key that you sing in there are no rules, .....
no favorites, just what the right key for your vocal in that song is every time,..each song different, take the highest note in the song, hit it comfortably, that's your key,
..every singer/player knows that 101

Edited by Dnj (03/12/18 01:42 PM)

#448433 - 03/12/18 01:38 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By brickboo

As a matter of fact, I left off a great chord before going to the E7 chord in the key of C.

I don't think I'll add chords to anything posted again it seems to confuse some which I do not want to do/.

C'mon, boo ... no holding out ... there are some of us who are trying to LEARN here from the Jazz guys like you, chas, Russ, and others ... so what's the great chord you left out???

Stop teasing them Boo, it's got to be a straight or revoiced B7, at least that's what I always play (or in my case an E7 since I play it in F). In fact, I've had a few uh, disputes with bass players who want to go directly 1 to the 3rd(7). In the end, it's what sounds good to you.

chas

#448438 - 03/12/18 02:07 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
I forgot to mention... I play Georgia in Eb..
My favorite key for most old tunes... And most were in Eb originally. (Old Cape Cod...I wish you love... PS I love you...To each his own.... etc)

'Back in the day" with the band in NY, of course we played a lot of standards when we played weddings and yes, many of them were in Eb ... we had a medley we called the Eb medley - "Once In a While", "These Foolish Things", and "Where or When" ...
I always loved playing in the key of Eb ...

Originally Posted By Dnj
no favorites, just what the right key for your vocal in that song is every time,..each song different, take the highest note in the song, hit it comfortably, that's your key,

... but as Donny says, for vocals you pick the key that suits your range for that song ...

#448440 - 03/12/18 02:08 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj

When all the great tunes were written in the 40's, They were written to sound great instrumentally.... not for some singer key..
The bands got singers that could sing in the designated key..

Look at the big bands...they let a singer have a verse here and there...Vocals were not the big deal... it was music arrangements..

What you are saying today.. our performers just get by to back a vocal presentation.... but could not sell a song instrumentally..

I rather listen to a great player with average vocals than a great vocalist that can't play to save their life (always backing tracks)..

Now when you have someone that can do both... that is another story..

#448441 - 03/12/18 02:11 PM Re: Georgia on my mind [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
[quote=Fran Carango] [quote]
... but as Donny says, for vocals you pick the key that suits your range for that song ...

Personally I sing it in Bb..

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online