Georgia on my mind

Posted by: Terrysutt

Georgia on my mind - 03/04/18 01:10 PM

I recorded Georgia on my mind on my Roland E80 including the verse.Do any members play this song with the verse?I don`t know
of any recordings,instrumental or vocal that include it,although
there must be some.I think the lyrics to the verse make the song more interesting.
Posted by: rphillipchuk

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/04/18 01:13 PM

Just had a listen..... Enjoyed it very much!
Posted by: DonM

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/04/18 01:20 PM

E80 still sounds great! I used to have one, lots of good features.
The only version I know is this:
Georgia On My Mind
W & M by Hoagy Carmichael & Stuart Gorrell
Recorded by Ray Charles, 1960 (#1)
Also by Willie Nelson, 1976

Intro: | C - Edim | Dm7 - G7 | C - Cdim | Dm7 - G7 - G+ |

[C] Georgia, [E7] Georgia, the
[Am] whole day [F] through [F#+]
Just [C] an old sweet [Edim] song
keeps [Em7] Georgia on my [G7] mind, [C]
[Dm7] Georgia on my [G7] mind.
[Dm7] moonlight [G7] through the [C] pines.
[F, Fm, C, E7]
the [Dm7] road leads back to [G7] you. [G+]
[Dm7] Georgia [G7] on my [C] mind. [F, Fm, C, E7]

If there is another verse I'd like to know it!

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/04/18 02:01 PM

Hi Don,I consider the arrangement that you posted as the chorus
as it can be played before and after the verse.The words to the verse which i suppose is the middle eight are as follows.
MELODIES BRING MEMORIES
THAT LINGER IN MY HEART
MAKE ME THINK OF GEORGIA
WHY DID WE EVER PART
SOME SWEET DAY,WHEN SHADOWS FALL
AND ALL THE WORLDS A SONG
i`LL BE BACK TO GEORGIA
`CAUSE THAT`S WHERE I BELONG.
Try singing these words to my recording.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/04/18 02:18 PM

WELL PLAYED ...
I found this link, but could find nothing on youtube with those lyrics ... but I will have to add them when I perform the song ...
THANK YOU ...

https://www.letras.mus.br/eric-clapton/georgia-on-my-mind/traducao.html
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/04/18 02:45 PM

This lady sings the verse in first part.

Mildred Bailey - Georgia On My Mind 1931:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH0PYQriMBk

MILDRED BAILEY - Georgia on My Mind (1941):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu9rT_nn1hY
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/04/18 02:48 PM

Terry great job and yes the Roland E80 sounds great
especially the organs.....thanx for sharing your work ...more more.. clap

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/04/18 02:59 PM

Gunnar ... thank you ... as I recall, "back in the day" when they wrote verses for songs, they were usually sung in the beginning as an 'intro' to the song ...

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/09/18 01:27 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies and for finding a recording of
an artiste singing the verse.You`re quite right of course the verse
usually does come before the chorus but I thought I`d just put it in the middle for a change.As long as it`s in the song,I don`t suppose it matters.I do have an old time music hall medley using
the same format,I`ll sort it out and post it later.
Posted by: brickboo

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/09/18 02:23 PM

Here are a few more chords in the Ray Charles rendition you might enjoy and there are more. I just added some to the first Verse. You can also substitute the Edim with an A7b9

[C] Georgia, [E7] Georgia, the
[Am] [Gm7]whole day [F] through [F#+]
Just [C] an old sweet [Edim] song
keeps [Dm7] Georgia on my [G7] mind, [E7]
[A7] Georgia on my [Dm7] [G7b9]mind.
[Dm7] moonlight [G7] through the [C] pines.
[F, Fm, C, E7]
the [Dm7] road leads back to [G7] you. [G+]
[Dm7] Georgia [G7] on my [C] mind. [F, Fm, C, E7]

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/09/18 03:13 PM

BOO ... you're BACK ?!?!? ... clap
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/09/18 05:37 PM

Boo, my man. Glad to see you back, I was getting lonesome smile. I'm a little disappointed seeing you posting this tune in C; you know every jazz musician does it in F smile. Also, I ALWAYS play the A7b9 (or in my case, D7b9 smile ); it sounds better. Anyhow, glad you're back from rehab smile.

chas

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/09/18 06:11 PM

Chas, every band I've ever played with does it in "G," Haha!

I just copied Don Mason's posting of the tune in "C" and just added some chords that Ray Charles uses in the first verse only.

I think Ray does it in G too. We learned that tune when his recording of it came out the early 1860's.
Posted by: The Saint

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/09/18 06:58 PM

Hi Guys, always interested in the chords.
My version is in F, and the Edim, where you mention it in key of C, also fits that key, although mine has Fdim, and I would like your comments on its suitability from your ears.

Thanks

Ray dance
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/09/18 07:56 PM

That sounded great. Thank you for sharing.

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/09/18 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By brickboo
We learned that tune when his recording of it came out the early 1860's.

1860's??? ... Boo, I would have never thought you were that old ... laugh2
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/09/18 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
We learned that tune when his recording of it came out the early 1860's.

1860's??? ... Boo, I would have never thought you were that old ... laugh2

Haha

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/10/18 06:15 AM

Terry, this is a totally subjective and hopefully, constructive criticism of your arrangement. I would eliminate that horn riff or at least save it for the last chorus at the end of the song to help build a climax (which is how these 'horn stabs' are usually used. using it throughout, chorus, bridge, and verse, nullifies it's effectiveness as a 'big finish' effect, and can actually get almost annoying (to some). Also, I would scale back the volume on the organ and change the (organ) registration between the chorus and bridge.

I'm not fond of that particular style for that tune but that is purely subjective, as I've heard it done as everything from a ballad to a March. I (personally) tend to like the Ray Charles approach although I like Willie's version just about equally (strange I know, but I'm a huge Willie Nelson fan). Just goes to show the versatility of a great tune.

It's really neat, your calling attention to the little known and seldom recorded (or played) verse. I have to admit, I wasn't aware of it. I probably won't add it to my playing of it BUT, musicians should be aware of it (although it might be lost on their audiences). I think this is the kind of information that SHOULD be shared on a music forum - it makes us all a little wiser. Thanks.

chas

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/10/18 06:24 AM

To keep in the vein of people not performing a song in its original
unabridged versions the way the composer wrote it, one of the most famous for not doing this is....
"God Bless America" shown original verse here..and there are hundreds more.

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/10/18 06:40 AM

Addressing the comment here of the Edim verses the A7b9 when playing this tune in the key of C. It's easy to see that the Edim has the E, G Bb Db notes, right? Well, look at it this way. The E is the 5th note of A7b9, The G is the 7th of A7b9, The Bb is the b9 of the A7b9, the Db is the 3rd of the A7b9. Thus all you need it the A note added to the Edim and you have the A7b9. This is all over the place in the old standard Jazz tunes of which Georgia is an old Jazz Standard.

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/10/18 07:02 AM

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/10/18 01:40 PM

Thanks,I take on board about doing some adjutments to the style and sounds and will enjoy experimenting.However for something
completey different,here is a medley of old time music hall songs,I think they are 1920`s although not in 190`s style.

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/10/18 05:41 PM

Thanks Boo, i understand that and Edim with E the melody note when in key of F sounds OK, but my dots show Fdim in F key which to me sounds OK, just wondered what others think or prefer.
Maybe a bit pedantic, but if it can sound better, then that's what I want. (LOVE GOOD CHORDS) !!!!

Ray

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/11/18 03:39 PM

Ray, there is confusion here. I don't know where you get that I said Edim in the Key of F? I merely copied Don Mason's chord chart for Georgia and added some chords I know that Ray Charles uses. As a matter of fact, I left off a great chord before going to the E7 chord in the key of C. I do the tune in G which I'm sure is the standard key and that is the key that Ray does it too. Haha. I don't think I'll add chords to anything posted again it seems to confuse some which I do not want to do/. I used to like to screw around with Uncle Dave years ago but I think he wore me out.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/11/18 04:32 PM

Hey Boo, I do it in C. I often use some chords that aren't on that chart too.
Hope you are doing o.k.
I'm glad you accepted Nigel's FB invite to stop by and see us!!
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/11/18 05:33 PM

Hey Boo..... don't be a stranger.
It always amazed me how a sax player was so well versed on chords.
Eddie

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/11/18 06:27 PM

Eddie at about 15 years old when starting my band The Belmonts (A bit before the famous Belmonts) The Pianist Vocalist only knew a few Fats Domino tunes. The bridge to Blueberry Hill was very complicated to me at the time and he was way off.

My Dad bought me an old upright piano from the VFW for $5. It was out of tune and I had to pay $35 to get it tuned. The tuner said he was afraid to tune it to 440 because it would put too much stress on the board so he tuned it a bit flat. HAHA.

I got the School Band Director alone one day and I asked him what was a chord and how to make a chord. He took me over to the piano and asked me if I could play a C scale on the piano? I played it for him and he says play the 1st, 3rd, and 5th note of the scale and you have a chord. I did that and I was amazed.

I asked him so this B note makes a C7? He said yes that is a Maj 7 but that a b7 was used in music composition too and told me to play the C with the b7. He said you got it. So I asked, this is a 9th, this is a 6th so forth and so on.

He told me to play the 3rd and 5th flat and add the 6th and I had a Dim chord. It didn't take long to figure that there really are just 3 Dim chords sort of. He showed me the aug by raising the 5th. Hey, I'm not a Genius, but we did this in 15, maybe 20 minutes. Anyone playing music no matter what instrument, should have a piano type keyboard and play with this for a bit. It's fun and you learn a hell of a lot more much faster.

I got a fake book and saw that there were lots of b9ths, #9ths etc and figured it out as I went along.

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/11/18 06:54 PM

Hi Boo, no confusion, I was the one who mentioned it on 9th March.
Because E was the melody note I thought I would try it, and it sounds OK.
Have since looked at other sheets in F and amazing the variation in chords. Although as you just said, and i was told the same, "there are only 3 dim chords".
P.S. I play all chords between the two F's (organ training)
I'll duck now !!!!!

Ray dance

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/11/18 07:20 PM

He told me to play the 3th and 5th flat.....

...so what's the 3th? smile smile smile just messin' with you Boo. Truth is, I think I play a lot of threeth (3th) chords....not intentionally, but... smile smile.

chas
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/11/18 08:24 PM

I go one step further and use a diminished 7th (Co7).

I was taught at a young age there are 3 diminished 7th chords.
Co7, Fo7, and Go7

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/11/18 08:43 PM

I just play everything in C... Use the transposer and sing lol
Posted by: 124

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 09:21 AM

I'm okay with C, D, E, F, G and A, but for whatever reason, I won't touch the key of B. None of the # keys either. Weird, huh?

Only reason I can think of is playing all those years in groups with guitar players and no transpose keys to cater to different vocal ranges.

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 10:11 AM

Fran a Cdim7 if you talking these notes C, Eb, Gb, Bb is also called an Ebm6 and then it sounds really scary when referred to as a Cm7b5, eh?

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 12:58 PM

As a matter of fact, I left off a great chord before going to the E7 chord in the key of C.

I don't think I'll add chords to anything posted again it seems to confuse some which I do not want to do/.

C'mon, boo ... no holding out ... there are some of us who are trying to LEARN here from the Jazz guys like you, chas, Russ, and others ... so what's the great chord you left out???

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 01:10 PM

I forgot to mention... I play Georgia in Eb..

My favorite key for most old tunes... And most were in Eb originally. (Old Cape Cod...I wish you love... PS I love you...To each his own.... etc)

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 01:33 PM

you play in the key that you sing in there are no rules, .....
no favorites, just what the right key for your vocal in that song is every time,..each song different, take the highest note in the song, hit it comfortably, that's your key,
..every singer/player knows that 101

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 01:38 PM

As a matter of fact, I left off a great chord before going to the E7 chord in the key of C.

I don't think I'll add chords to anything posted again it seems to confuse some which I do not want to do/.

C'mon, boo ... no holding out ... there are some of us who are trying to LEARN here from the Jazz guys like you, chas, Russ, and others ... so what's the great chord you left out???

Stop teasing them Boo, it's got to be a straight or revoiced B7, at least that's what I always play (or in my case an E7 since I play it in F). In fact, I've had a few uh, disputes with bass players who want to go directly 1 to the 3rd(7). In the end, it's what sounds good to you.

chas

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
I forgot to mention... I play Georgia in Eb..
My favorite key for most old tunes... And most were in Eb originally. (Old Cape Cod...I wish you love... PS I love you...To each his own.... etc)

'Back in the day" with the band in NY, of course we played a lot of standards when we played weddings and yes, many of them were in Eb ... we had a medley we called the Eb medley - "Once In a While", "These Foolish Things", and "Where or When" ...
I always loved playing in the key of Eb ...

Originally Posted By Dnj
no favorites, just what the right key for your vocal in that song is every time,..each song different, take the highest note in the song, hit it comfortably, that's your key,

... but as Donny says, for vocals you pick the key that suits your range for that song ...

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

When all the great tunes were written in the 40's, They were written to sound great instrumentally.... not for some singer key..
The bands got singers that could sing in the designated key..

Look at the big bands...they let a singer have a verse here and there...Vocals were not the big deal... it was music arrangements..

What you are saying today.. our performers just get by to back a vocal presentation.... but could not sell a song instrumentally..

I rather listen to a great player with average vocals than a great vocalist that can't play to save their life (always backing tracks)..

Now when you have someone that can do both... that is another story..

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 02:11 PM

[quote=Fran Carango] [quote]
... but as Donny says, for vocals you pick the key that suits your range for that song ...

Personally I sing it in Bb..

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 02:15 PM

[quote=Dnj]
I rather listen to a great player with average vocals than a great vocalist that can't play to save their life (always backing tracks)..

I agree only the really good experienced players can create really good backing tracks and sing.. nobody cares how its done after all its not 1940 its 2018 cool2

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 02:22 PM

" nobody cares how its done after all its not 1940 its 2018"

Isn't that the truth!!!

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 02:31 PM

" nobody cares how its done after all its not 1940 its 2018"

Isn't that the truth!!!

it certainly is....

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 03:52 PM

how many times have you played some wild chords that you have no ideas what they are but sound great .....

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
how many times have you played some wild chords that you have no ideas what they are but sound great .....

Actually....never.... I play unusual chords, but I know what I am playing.. smile

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj

Actually....never.... I play unusual chords, but I know what I am playing.. smile

+1

chas

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 05:49 PM

Funny all this talk about a great song using all these amazing chord structures yet not one poster demo example of these beautiful chords in use so we can hear what anyone is talking about?..

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 09:04 PM

Fran, Chas, Tony, Donnie, all great comments, and correct. You need to keep in mind that I'm speaking as a Sax Player, not a vocalist. I sing in what key that I'm able. I do vocals 80 to 90 percent in the original key. I do play them in the original key and just transpose if necessary.

A Sax Player has to play in the original key. If I heard a Sax Man play "Body and Soul" in C I'd have to think he can't play in Db. That is one of the hardest keys for Sax. However after you work with it for some time, it sounds best in that key. The bridge changes to the key of D and then the second half of the bridge changes to C which is really easy to play in and allows a bunch of great sounding licks an experienced sax man can play at the turn around to get back to Db for the last verse.

One Sax Guy who is talking chord theory with a zillion vocalist is going to cause confusion and more so with many vocalists who aren't musicians at all and work with midi files or Karaoke. No offense meant whatsoever to entertainers. I'm just stating a normal problem in this forum setting, OK?

Chas, tomorrow I'll knock the cobwebs off the arranger and find that chord in Georgia. I do it in G and it is a Gb something or other which corresponds with the E7 in your key of F just as a passing chord to the A7 [A9]. It's so subtle but when you do it and hear Ray's version it is just really sweet huh? When you play tunes like this with folks who know and then you hear it played with half of the changes left out, it really leaves much to be desired and sounds annoying eh, Chas?

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/12/18 09:26 PM

Donnie, I wish you were out here a few years back when I was playing kinda of regular. At that time, I tried three different recorders and just couldn't get the balance or enough good sounding mics set up to sound good with the sax.If I set the mics for the high end the low end was weak. If I set the mic for the low end, the high end was weak. I had pros tell me that setting up to record Sax was one of the hardest instruments to record because every note did not go just through the bell like a trombone, trumpet and other wind instruments. Sound comes out everywhere on a Tenor sax because of it being longer than an alto may be a problem. I just do not know. So, I gave up/ I just recorded some things that were passable vocals while playing the arranger on a sony mini recorder that was a bit easier and sounded better, but man recording sax in my little office was almost funny. I just couldn't figure my 8 track Tascam Recorder out to do a good job. It was taking to much time and I rather practice at the time. Maybe 10 years ago.

Since my Son passed away in September 2014 of Esophageal Cancer, I just lost every ounce of my ambition to play anymore buddy.

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/13/18 07:16 AM

Here is one example of an arrangement that incorporates Boo's "lost chord". However, there are just as many versions of it that omit the passing chord (including the famous Oscar Peterson version). So, like so many things in music, it comes down to personal taste (not what's right or wrong). If it sounds good, then it was 'right'.

chas

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/13/18 07:19 AM

Donnie, I wish you were out here a few years back when I was playing kinda of regular. At that time, I tried three different recorders and just couldn't get the balance or enough good sounding mics set up to sound good with the sax.If I set the mics for the high end the low end was weak. If I set the mic for the low end, the high end was weak. I had pros tell me that setting up to record Sax was one of the hardest instruments to record because every note did not go just through the bell like a trombone, trumpet and other wind instruments. Sound comes out everywhere on a Tenor sax because of it being longer than an alto may be a problem. I just do not know. So, I gave up/ I just recorded some things that were passable vocals while playing the arranger on a sony mini recorder that was a bit easier and sounded better, but man recording sax in my little office was almost funny. I just couldn't figure my 8 track Tascam Recorder out to do a good job. It was taking to much time and I rather practice at the time. Maybe 10 years ago.

Since my Son passed away in September 2014 of Esophageal Cancer, I just lost every ounce of my ambition to play anymore buddy.

Boo so sorry for your loss my deepest condolences,....
I understand your feelings. Good to read your posts always...
take care..
Posted by: zuki

Re: Georgia on my mind - 03/13/18 07:44 AM

Boo,

Very sorry to hear about your son. I can understand how your joy went into hibernation. Only thing that heals is time and I wish you the very best.