Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#410180 - 10/26/15 09:41 AM Re: Georgia [Re: brickboo]
cgiles Online   content

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
Crap you're older than me and Gary.

Boo, I'm older than Methuselah (google him) but my mind is still -----uh, what were we talking about?

smile smile

chas

#410181 - 10/26/15 10:07 AM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Chas, I'm 74 and I think Gary is 6, 8 months older than me. Perhaps 75. Please tell how old you are? Am I misunderstanding? You live in Georgia and like the Saints? If so, that is very odd man. Now, if that's true, do you like LSU too?

#410182 - 10/26/15 10:19 AM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
cgiles Online   content

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Where did you get the idea that I like the Saints? Although I'm a big admirer of Drew Brees as a player, I 'hate' the Saints for spoiling my Falcons perfect record. At my core though, I'm a lifelong Eagles (pronounced 'Iggles' in Philly) fan. LSU? Nope - UGA. I can't divulge my real age but let's just say I sleep in a coffin during the day smile.

chas

#410183 - 10/26/15 10:28 AM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Col, that recording of Autumn Leaves came through very muddy sounding. Not quite sure why, but it may be overdriven while recording. Neat style for that song, though.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#410185 - 10/26/15 10:41 AM Re: Georgia [Re: brickboo]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: brickboo
Saswich where did that midi come from. I'd like a copy. Guitarpic you don't need to use every passing chord. If you just use the basic right chords the way the tune was written you won't hurt my ears. Ha ha.

I don't know if this will help, but basically for example in the key of C when you resolve to an F chord adding a 7th to the C like C7th adds intensity and it embellishes the sound before playing the F chord. Also a Fm or a F#dim is not what is considered a passing chord. Those are usually written in the song by an experienced musician who writes songs. There are many songs however that are written where the song writer doesn't know how to play a diminished chord, so they will just play a straight F chord through the complete measure. So, by adding the Fm or the F#dim in a song that hangs on the F chord, if its sounds better by adding the Fm or the F#dim it could be considered a passing chord or an embellishment etc.

A substitution is different. For example in C before resolving to an A7 many songs have a Gm7 added just before you go to the A7 chord. Now a substitution for the Gm7 could be a Bb6 which most average musicians would use and a Jazz pianist for the purpose of transition, sound, chord inversion to make it easier to play an A7b9 instead of an A7 may prefer to use an Em7b5 as a substitute for the Gm7 before the F chord change. If you look at the notes on the keyboard the Em7b5 has the same notes in it as a Gm6 which works before the A7 chord also. So, the Em7b5 could be considered an inversion to the Gm6 chord the same as a Gm6 could substitute as an inversion for the Em7b5.

This is not complicating if you sit down at the keyboard and fiddle around with this a half hour a day for a few weeks. You'll be an expert like Chas and all of the real musicians will applaud you, not just the audience who doesn't know jack that pays you all of those hundreds of dollars you made during your career, or you can continue to play the wrong chords all of your life and be like the neighbor who thinks he's a mechanic because he can change the alternator and put in a new radio and a pair of speakers. It the same damn thing. But hey as Hillary your next president says. "What the %#^*"@# difference does it make, HUH?

Boo,

Good points and I will give it a try.

Like I said, I'm much more limited on the keyboard than I am on the guitar. And even more limited when playing the melody vs. singing along with the chords.

I've learned some stuff here and appreciate the feedback.

smile

#410186 - 10/26/15 10:54 AM Re: Georgia [Re: travlin'easy]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Col, that recording of Autumn Leaves came through very muddy sounding. Not quite sure why, but it may be overdriven while recording. Neat style for that song, though.

Gary cool

I had to cut the file down to get it under 6Mb.

I'll post it on boxnet

https://app.box.com/s/sinlnnwog6gqzywhlkqz81p3bxyr9yvp

Col

#410191 - 10/26/15 12:18 PM Re: Georgia [Re: Saswick]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm liking this! First, this proves that, with some sensitivity, it's possible to post a critique of substance and have it appreciated ,not resented.

2nd, I think that some of the negative criticism of Chas is unfortunate. And, Don's 2nd post is that of a real man who reconsidered a hasty comment. He didn't have to clarify, seeing how he's the biggest and meanest of us all.

3rd, fortunately, our poster saw all comments, including the "squirley ones" from dear Boo for what they really were, sincere efforts to help.

Frankly, there were times when I wich I had been brave enough to be blatant about some really basic errors in posts.

I share Chas' image of a negative dude. Sadly, sometimes that assessment is right.

But this sequence of shared experience, knowledge and opinions
was GREAT!

Let's keep it up!

Russ

#410197 - 10/26/15 02:21 PM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I love DonM and Gary and I mean them no offense. I don't care if they only know 150 variations of chord structure in only 10 keys and sound like Willy Nelson. Along with Randy, Garth, Eddie Arnold, Ray Price, and the Boot Scoottin Boogie boys, Willy is one of the better country vocalist.

OK who did I leave out Don?

Oh! and I'd rather talk to Gary's wife then him too. She's got to be at least 10 or 12 times better looking then that ugly face that Gary walks around with.

Uncle Dave will always be the one I remember arguing with! He was the greatest.

What about Donny. He's always been generous in sharing his great Ray Charles and Steve Tyrell midi's with me.

Chas and Russ I would gig with for free.

Oh remember how Uncle Dave vigorously deplored the word "GIG" which I'm sure he still does. Hahaha!

#410198 - 10/26/15 02:25 PM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
So happens I recorded Georgia recently on the job, using Ketron SD7.
http://donmasonmusic.com/Georgia.mp3

#410199 - 10/26/15 02:41 PM Re: Georgia [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
So happens I recorded Georgia recently on the job, using Ketron SD7.
http://donmasonmusic.com/Georgia.mp3

clap clap clap

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online