SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#410157 - 10/26/15 04:58 AM Re: Georgia [Re: Saswick]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Originally Posted By: Saswick
Not sure if this was inspired or what, I'm sure the Jazz merchants will tell me mad

https://app.box.com/s/c4vmpk94ujibji92q8nsivhxbxqijw7a

It has the right chords (vocal ones)

Col

I couldn't get this to load, will try again later.

#410158 - 10/26/15 05:05 AM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

I realized in all this, that I use more passing chords on the guitar, especially when singing the song. It will be a good one to work on. I'm not as adept on the keyboard; especially when playing melodies and chords versus singing the song and just playing chords.

Also, I realized that perhaps Georgia wasn't the best song selection for me to experiment with uploading to YouTube.

Part of the reason for uploading the song was to learn something about using my Canon 7D to film video and to see how that would turn out versus using my video cam. Both cameras are capable of high def filming.

Thanks again for the comments. I'm learning stuff here.

Edited by guitpic1 (10/26/15 05:06 AM)

#410159 - 10/26/15 05:15 AM Re: Georgia [Re: DonM]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM

Well this is still a fairly simple version, but I'll bet the old people in the nursing homes don't give a poop.

Truth is, a lot of those folks would be thrilled if they could just poop on a regular basis. What chords I play on Georgia for them is the least of their concerns.

wink

Edited by guitpic1 (10/26/15 05:16 AM)

#410160 - 10/26/15 05:28 AM Re: Georgia [Re: brickboo]
cgiles Online   content

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
This is a test
C G7 C
Mary had a l;ittle lamb, little lamb, little lamb
C Em7b5 A7b9 D7 Dm7 Db7#9 Ab,Bb.Cmaj7,9
Mary had a l;ittle lamb, it's fleece was white as snow.

...The jazz version....

Mary had a little sheep
She took with her to sleep
The sheep turned out to be a ram
Mary had a little lamb

Chords optional.

chas

#410163 - 10/26/15 06:00 AM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Saswich where did that midi come from. I'd like a copy. Guitarpic you don't need to use every passing chord. If you just use the basic right chords the way the tune was written you won't hurt my ears. Ha ha.

I don't know if this will help, but basically for example in the key of C when you resolve to an F chord adding a 7th to the C like C7th adds intensity and it embellishes the sound before playing the F chord. Also a Fm or a F#dim is not what is considered a passing chord. Those are usually written in the song by an experienced musician who writes songs. There are many songs however that are written where the song writer doesn't know how to play a diminished chord, so they will just play a straight F chord through the complete measure. So, by adding the Fm or the F#dim in a song that hangs on the F chord, if its sounds better by adding the Fm or the F#dim it could be considered a passing chord or an embellishment etc.

A substitution is different. For example in C before resolving to an A7 many songs have a Gm7 added just before you go to the A7 chord. Now a substitution for the Gm7 could be a Bb6 which most average musicians would use and a Jazz pianist for the purpose of transition, sound, chord inversion to make it easier to play an A7b9 instead of an A7 may prefer to use an Em7b5 as a substitute for the Gm7 before the F chord change. If you look at the notes on the keyboard the Em7b5 has the same notes in it as a Gm6 which works before the A7 chord also. So, the Em7b5 could be considered an inversion to the Gm6 chord the same as a Gm6 could substitute as an inversion for the Em7b5.

This is not complicating if you sit down at the keyboard and fiddle around with this a half hour a day for a few weeks. You'll be an expert like Chas and all of the real musicians will applaud you, not just the audience who doesn't know jack that pays you all of those hundreds of dollars you made during your career, or you can continue to play the wrong chords all of your life and be like the neighbor who thinks he's a mechanic because he can change the alternator and put in a new radio and a pair of speakers. It the same damn thing. But hey as Hillary your next president says. "What the %#^*"@# difference does it make, HUH?

Edited by brickboo (10/26/15 06:03 AM)

#410167 - 10/26/15 06:17 AM Re: Georgia [Re: brickboo]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Saswich where did that midi come from. I'd like a copy.

Sorry Brickboo it's a Mp3 file but you are very welcome to it.

It's actually the Micheal Buble version.

Col

Attachments
Georgia.mp3 (17 downloads)

#410173 - 10/26/15 08:02 AM Re: Georgia [Re: Saswick]
brickboo Offline

Originally Posted By: Saswick
Saswich where did that midi come from. I'd like a copy.

Sorry Brickboo it's a Mp3 file but you are very welcome to it.

It's actually the Micheal Buble version.

Col
With the RAP crap and badly written junk today, isn't he and his musicians a pleasure for the ear today, Saswich? Thank you

#410174 - 10/26/15 08:34 AM Re: Georgia [Re: brickboo]
cgiles Online   content

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA

Col
With the RAP crap and badly written junk today, isn't he and his musicians a pleasure for the ear today, Saswich? Thank you

Boo, WRONG CHORD! It's SASWICK, not SASWICH smile smile.

chas (the spelling police)

#410175 - 10/26/15 08:56 AM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

I can spell potato and potatoes, Chas! Notice I can spell Em7b5 too. Can you spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious? What about antidisestablishmentarianism? Neither can I, but Google can spell anything. No wonder you know all this stuff about music and play so well! Crap you're older than me and Gary.

#410179 - 10/26/15 09:39 AM Re: Georgia [Re: guitpic1]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
This thread seems to have struck a chord with you Guy's rocker

Here's another nice track for you aficionado's

Col

Attachments
Autumn_Leaves 2.mp3 (23 downloads)

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online