Georgia

Posted by: guitpic1

Georgia - 10/23/15 02:38 PM

This old 'rookie' learning a new song.

http://youtu.be/-tf8Z37LTBQ

smile
Posted by: DonM

Re: Georgia - 10/24/15 11:15 AM

No, you're learning an OLD song! smile Keep up the good work!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Georgia - 10/24/15 11:47 AM

Learning is the fun part.

Good one,

Gary cool

Re: Georgia - 10/24/15 08:14 PM

Don,

You're right it is an old song.

Nothin like an old dog learning new tricks.

Tx

smile
Posted by: brickboo

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 12:17 PM

guitpic1, you've got money invested in gear right. Invest $35 more in a "Realbook" and learn to play the songs with the right chords. If you don't know how to make the chords get another book that will show you how to form the chord. You'll enjoy playing the song m ore with the correct chords.This will give you confidence and you won't hurt the ears of ones who can hear all of the wrong chords. If you're going to learn to lay brick, build cabinets, or sail a boat, would you want to learn the right way to accomplish this feat? There are plenty enough who screw up chords in everything they play. What I'm saying here is known as constructive criticism to encourage you. It's not meant to put you down and discourage you. There isn't enough constructive criticism on this forum and that's why so many are stuck in playing horrible chord passages. I used to think that the guys here were complimenting bad music to be polite. However, after 15 years I now know that most do not know when one is playing the wrong chords. These ones are known to have tin ears. I know the public doesn't care, but you should. Would you want to lay crooked brick,build an ugly looking cabinet paint a half ass painting? Of course not. Take some pride in you musical ability. Start with a $35 book with good chord progressions. Amen

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 12:36 PM

You don't even have to buy books, it's all available on line if you look. I like The Guitar Guy for some interesting arrangements.
http://www.theguitarguy.com/georgiao.htm

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 01:10 PM

Don, that's the same chords I use, and probably the same place I got the chord information for the song. Betcha Boo has 33,000 transition chords for that song, but I could be wrong. wink

Gary cool

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 01:13 PM

Pretty much how Ray did it. But what does he know?
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 01:58 PM

Don, Gary....c'mon guys. I didn't want to say anything because I'm always viewed as being negative; but Don, you're way too good a musician and way too familiar with that tune to say that that is the way Ray Charles did it. I think Boo went out of his way to indicate that his post was meant soley as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I understand trying to be supportive of other members' musical efforts, but I think sometimes we risk doing a disservice by not pointing out the very obvious errors that change the whole characteristics of the song. I mean, what's wrong with saying "I applaud your effort but the chords are incorrect". If we aren't able to say that, then the forum has NO value as a learning platform to improve your performance.

I applaud Boo for 'keeping it real' and offering helpful advice and feedback. And BTW, if anyone else is playing these same chords, then YOU'RE playing it wrong too. JMO. Oh, and if you're trying to learn a new tune, you should probably have the sheet in front of you.

chas

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 03:09 PM

Chas and Boo, how about posting the correct chords. Old farts like me are still willing to learn a few tricks from you young dogs. wink

Gary cool

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 03:11 PM

I was just using the song as an example of the website. He openly admits the songs there are his own versions. My post said the arrangements were interesting.
And I have seldom seen sheet music that accurately reflects the way a song is played. I actually haven't listened to Ray's version in years, and I'm probably not close to that either. Maybe closer to Willie's. By the way, I think Willie is much underrated as a musician.
Chas, if you want to be helpful instead of critical, you can simply post the correct chords.
I strongly agree we need helpful constructive criticism of posted songs. I have learned a lot from posting my mistakes here. Diki used to be helpful, though not tactful. smile While I'm rambling, he is about an inch away from being banned on Korg Forum, even though I think he is right on what he is saying there. A lot depends on how you say it!

To audiopic1: Please don't be discouraged from posting your songs. We DO mean well, all of us. smile

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 03:17 PM

I found this. Not far off from what I play, but it's in G and I do it in C.
http://sheets-piano.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Ray-Charles-The-Piano-Transcriptions.pdf

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 04:00 PM

This is a test
C G7 C
Mary had a l;ittle lamb, little lamb, little lamb
C Em7b5 A7b9 D7 Dm7 Db7#9 Ab,Bb.Cmaj7,9
Mary had a l;ittle lamb, it's fleece was white as snow.

Just as I thought everything formatted different than the way I structured it and I look like an A$$. If Mary had a little lamb formatted wrong with a few passing chords. How would Georgia posted here look with 38,000 chords, eh Gary. Thanks for making me look like a fool. Ha ha

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 04:08 PM

Chas, why are we here beating our heads against a brick wall. All they are interested in is the money they make. The audience doesn't know jack any way, so, as Hillary says, "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE."

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 04:11 PM

Just having fun, Boo. wink I knew the chords were wrong when I heard Ron's MP3, but like he said, he's still learning the song, which is always a challenge, at least for me, the three chord guy. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 04:26 PM

Boo you don't have to keep telling us how many chords you know and that you think we aren't really musicians, because we don't care.

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM

Chas, if you want to be helpful instead of critical, you can simply post the correct chords.

Well I guess the clear implication here is that I'm critical and NOT helpful. It seems no matter how I try to phrase things, it's going to be perceived as negative. And if I said absolutely nothing and just posted the correct chords (as a response to a posted performance), how would THAT be perceived?

I strongly agree we need helpful constructive criticism of posted songs.

But what? by only certain members? and who decides what is constructive and what is negative? and what part of what I said was 'critical'/negative? I was merely agreeing with Boo that if one truly wants to learn a new song, I'd think they would want to learn it correctly first before modifying it.

chas
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 04:35 PM

cool2

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 04:57 PM

Nobody is fussing and fighting. It used to be more fun fussing and fighting with Uncle Dave, but since he is now an idol and looked up to by many kids, he needs to set the proper example and he's retired from fussing and fighting, and I'm proud to say that I think I played a big part in helping him in this endeavor by not picking on him any move. I love Uncle Dave.

Chas the chords won't stay formatted correctly on this site. Don't even try it. It will work if there is just one chord to a whole line like the songs DonM and Gary play. Ha ha ha. DonM Gary the Devil made me say this. Please don't get mad. I love you guys too. Really

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: cgiles

Well I guess the clear implication here is that I'm critical and NOT helpful. It seems no matter how I try to phrase things, it's going to be perceived as negative. And if I said absolutely nothing and just posted the correct chords (as a response to a posted performance), how would THAT be perceived?

I strongly agree we need helpful constructive criticism of posted songs.

But what? by only certain members? and who decides what is constructive and what is negative? and what part of what I said was 'critical'/negative? I was merely agreeing with Boo that if one truly wants to learn a new song, I'd think they would want to learn it correctly first before modifying it.

chas

Damn it Chas, I can't seem to keep from hurting your feelings, and I hope you know that isn't my intention, ever.
I didn't say JUST post the chords and don't comment. You are one of the guys who's knowledge of music and feel for playing it I highly respect. I re-read your post. Maybe I read it too hastily the first time, and I apologize for saying something that I can see was easily misconstrued, even though I didn't mean it that way.
And Boo, it seems the jazz enthusiasts are always so ready to look down upon the rest of us, who are here because we play and love arrangers. It is not necessary to play every passing chord and embellishment we know to make a song sound good. Some of us aren't that good, but we can still make music. And there is nothing wrong with being successful enough at it to make a little money.
I'm so sorry this thread has turned into this, and I regret being at least a part of the reason.
I'm going to watch football now. Maybe I'll play When The Saints Go Marching In and use all three chords.

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 05:49 PM

Go Eagles!!

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 06:10 PM

No need to apologize Don. But yes, I do sometimes think my posts are prejudged without a through reading. This thread should NEVER have gone South in the first place. It started when Boo posted what I believe was a well-meaning critique (in his own unique and colorful style smile ). That seemed not to sit well with some members as the 'Reagan Rule' ("never speak ill of another Republican") seems to come into play quite often when it involves one of our 'senior' members. For the record, Gary, I'm older than you --- just thought you should know.

BTW, the Saints seem to have gotten their mojo back.....dammmit!

chas

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 06:52 PM

Tx for the critique and comments.

Doesn't bother me in the least.

A couple of comments:

I'm always open to doing something in a 'correct' fashion. After all I'm a rookie. I first learned Georgia on the guitar. Virtually everyone I played the song with from professionals on played it in their own version...and, of course, everyone I played the song with was convinced their version was the correct one. I'm sure I'm not getting all the chords correct, that was part of the reason for putting the song on YouTube.

And, true to form, I've heard from a few professionals already encouraging me to use
The correct chords. And, as usual, all the renditions I've received are slightly different.

smile

Also, I'm using styles. Certain styles don't lend themselves as well to the chord changes suggested.

One final thought.

I played a tune for a friend the other day. He kindly let me know that, although he liked the song, I should be aware that I was using the wrong chords for the song. This fellow was a pro...many years on the road.

I smiled and thanked him for the critique but said I would use the chords as I had played it for him.

"Why on earth do that?" He asked. Because I said, I wrote the song and that's the chord structure I wanted.

smile

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Go Eagles!!

I have 20 on Carolina.

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 06:57 PM

You don't even have to buy books, it's all available on line if you look. I like The Guitar Guy for some interesting arrangements.
http://www.theguitarguy.com/georgiao.htm

I'll give this one a try as well as a few other versions I've been given a try.

Tx for the suggestion.

smile

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 07:30 PM

I transposed the song to "C" in order to fit my vocal range. The original by Ray Charles was done in "G", though. Unfortunately, when I cut and pasted this from Chordie, the position of the chords over the words did not translate.

You can find the original at Chordie

Georgia on My Mind
Ray Charles
C E7
Georgia ... Georgia,
Am Gm7 F F#dim
The whole day through ...
C A7 D7 G7
Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my
C7 A7 Dm7 G
mind

C E7
Georgia ... Georgia,
Am Gm7 F F#dim
A song of you ...
C A7 D7 G7 C F7 C E7
Comes as sweet and clear as moonlight through the pines ...

Middle 8

Am Dm Am F7
Other arms reach out for me
Am Dm Am D7
Other eyes smile tender---- ly
Am Dm Am B7
But still in peaceful dreams I see
Em7 A7 Dm7 G7
the road leads back to you ...

verse

C E7
Georgia ... Georgia,
Am Gm7 F F#dim
No peace I find ...
C A7 D7 G7 C Bb A7
Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind
C A7 D7 G7 C F C
Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my

Adapted from Bob Longmire's transcription by York Gibson york@yorkgibson.co.uk
Bristol, UK

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 07:46 PM

Gary that's what they are talking about. The recorded versions use beautiful passing chords and substitutions, F#dim, C#dim, etc, that really make the sound.

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 07:50 PM

The chords I just posted are the ones I've been using for years. I just wasn't exactly sure where I got them until this evening when I looked on my laptop that I use on the job. So, if I use all those chord that I just posted, which I do, does this mean I'm a REAL musician instead of just a lowly entertainer? wink (just kiddin guys.)

It's Margaretta time,

Gary cool

Re: Georgia - 10/25/15 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
The chords I just posted are the ones I've been using for years. I just wasn't exactly sure where I got them until this evening when I looked on my laptop that I use on the job. So, if I use all those chord that I just posted, which I do, does this mean I'm a REAL musician instead of just a lowly entertainer? wink (just kiddin guys.)

It's Margaretta time,

Gary cool

Well this is still a fairly simple version, but I'll bet the old people in the nursing homes don't give a poop.
Posted by: Saswick

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 03:38 AM

Not sure if this was inspired or what, I'm sure the Jazz merchants will tell me mad

https://app.box.com/s/c4vmpk94ujibji92q8nsivhxbxqijw7a

It has the right chords (vocal ones)

Col

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 04:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Saswick
Not sure if this was inspired or what, I'm sure the Jazz merchants will tell me mad

https://app.box.com/s/c4vmpk94ujibji92q8nsivhxbxqijw7a

It has the right chords (vocal ones)

Col

I couldn't get this to load, will try again later.

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 05:05 AM

I realized in all this, that I use more passing chords on the guitar, especially when singing the song. It will be a good one to work on. I'm not as adept on the keyboard; especially when playing melodies and chords versus singing the song and just playing chords.

Also, I realized that perhaps Georgia wasn't the best song selection for me to experiment with uploading to YouTube.

Part of the reason for uploading the song was to learn something about using my Canon 7D to film video and to see how that would turn out versus using my video cam. Both cameras are capable of high def filming.

Thanks again for the comments. I'm learning stuff here.

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 05:15 AM

Well this is still a fairly simple version, but I'll bet the old people in the nursing homes don't give a poop.

Truth is, a lot of those folks would be thrilled if they could just poop on a regular basis. What chords I play on Georgia for them is the least of their concerns.

wink

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: brickboo
This is a test
C G7 C
Mary had a l;ittle lamb, little lamb, little lamb
C Em7b5 A7b9 D7 Dm7 Db7#9 Ab,Bb.Cmaj7,9
Mary had a l;ittle lamb, it's fleece was white as snow.

...The jazz version....

Mary had a little sheep
She took with her to sleep
The sheep turned out to be a ram
Mary had a little lamb

Chords optional.

chas

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 06:00 AM

Saswich where did that midi come from. I'd like a copy. Guitarpic you don't need to use every passing chord. If you just use the basic right chords the way the tune was written you won't hurt my ears. Ha ha.

I don't know if this will help, but basically for example in the key of C when you resolve to an F chord adding a 7th to the C like C7th adds intensity and it embellishes the sound before playing the F chord. Also a Fm or a F#dim is not what is considered a passing chord. Those are usually written in the song by an experienced musician who writes songs. There are many songs however that are written where the song writer doesn't know how to play a diminished chord, so they will just play a straight F chord through the complete measure. So, by adding the Fm or the F#dim in a song that hangs on the F chord, if its sounds better by adding the Fm or the F#dim it could be considered a passing chord or an embellishment etc.

A substitution is different. For example in C before resolving to an A7 many songs have a Gm7 added just before you go to the A7 chord. Now a substitution for the Gm7 could be a Bb6 which most average musicians would use and a Jazz pianist for the purpose of transition, sound, chord inversion to make it easier to play an A7b9 instead of an A7 may prefer to use an Em7b5 as a substitute for the Gm7 before the F chord change. If you look at the notes on the keyboard the Em7b5 has the same notes in it as a Gm6 which works before the A7 chord also. So, the Em7b5 could be considered an inversion to the Gm6 chord the same as a Gm6 could substitute as an inversion for the Em7b5.

This is not complicating if you sit down at the keyboard and fiddle around with this a half hour a day for a few weeks. You'll be an expert like Chas and all of the real musicians will applaud you, not just the audience who doesn't know jack that pays you all of those hundreds of dollars you made during your career, or you can continue to play the wrong chords all of your life and be like the neighbor who thinks he's a mechanic because he can change the alternator and put in a new radio and a pair of speakers. It the same damn thing. But hey as Hillary your next president says. "What the %#^*"@# difference does it make, HUH?

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 06:17 AM

Saswich where did that midi come from. I'd like a copy.

Sorry Brickboo it's a Mp3 file but you are very welcome to it.

It's actually the Micheal Buble version.

Col

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 08:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Saswick
Saswich where did that midi come from. I'd like a copy.

Sorry Brickboo it's a Mp3 file but you are very welcome to it.

It's actually the Micheal Buble version.

Col
With the RAP crap and badly written junk today, isn't he and his musicians a pleasure for the ear today, Saswich? Thank you

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 08:34 AM

Col
With the RAP crap and badly written junk today, isn't he and his musicians a pleasure for the ear today, Saswich? Thank you

Boo, WRONG CHORD! It's SASWICK, not SASWICH smile smile.

chas (the spelling police)

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 08:56 AM

I can spell potato and potatoes, Chas! Notice I can spell Em7b5 too. Can you spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious? What about antidisestablishmentarianism? Neither can I, but Google can spell anything. No wonder you know all this stuff about music and play so well! Crap you're older than me and Gary.

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 09:39 AM

This thread seems to have struck a chord with you Guy's rocker

Here's another nice track for you aficionado's

Col

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 09:41 AM

Crap you're older than me and Gary.

Boo, I'm older than Methuselah (google him) but my mind is still -----uh, what were we talking about?

smile smile

chas

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 10:07 AM

Chas, I'm 74 and I think Gary is 6, 8 months older than me. Perhaps 75. Please tell how old you are? Am I misunderstanding? You live in Georgia and like the Saints? If so, that is very odd man. Now, if that's true, do you like LSU too?

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 10:19 AM

Where did you get the idea that I like the Saints? Although I'm a big admirer of Drew Brees as a player, I 'hate' the Saints for spoiling my Falcons perfect record. At my core though, I'm a lifelong Eagles (pronounced 'Iggles' in Philly) fan. LSU? Nope - UGA. I can't divulge my real age but let's just say I sleep in a coffin during the day smile.

chas

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 10:28 AM

Col, that recording of Autumn Leaves came through very muddy sounding. Not quite sure why, but it may be overdriven while recording. Neat style for that song, though.

Gary cool

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 10:41 AM

Saswich where did that midi come from. I'd like a copy. Guitarpic you don't need to use every passing chord. If you just use the basic right chords the way the tune was written you won't hurt my ears. Ha ha.

I don't know if this will help, but basically for example in the key of C when you resolve to an F chord adding a 7th to the C like C7th adds intensity and it embellishes the sound before playing the F chord. Also a Fm or a F#dim is not what is considered a passing chord. Those are usually written in the song by an experienced musician who writes songs. There are many songs however that are written where the song writer doesn't know how to play a diminished chord, so they will just play a straight F chord through the complete measure. So, by adding the Fm or the F#dim in a song that hangs on the F chord, if its sounds better by adding the Fm or the F#dim it could be considered a passing chord or an embellishment etc.

A substitution is different. For example in C before resolving to an A7 many songs have a Gm7 added just before you go to the A7 chord. Now a substitution for the Gm7 could be a Bb6 which most average musicians would use and a Jazz pianist for the purpose of transition, sound, chord inversion to make it easier to play an A7b9 instead of an A7 may prefer to use an Em7b5 as a substitute for the Gm7 before the F chord change. If you look at the notes on the keyboard the Em7b5 has the same notes in it as a Gm6 which works before the A7 chord also. So, the Em7b5 could be considered an inversion to the Gm6 chord the same as a Gm6 could substitute as an inversion for the Em7b5.

This is not complicating if you sit down at the keyboard and fiddle around with this a half hour a day for a few weeks. You'll be an expert like Chas and all of the real musicians will applaud you, not just the audience who doesn't know jack that pays you all of those hundreds of dollars you made during your career, or you can continue to play the wrong chords all of your life and be like the neighbor who thinks he's a mechanic because he can change the alternator and put in a new radio and a pair of speakers. It the same damn thing. But hey as Hillary your next president says. "What the %#^*"@# difference does it make, HUH?

Boo,

Good points and I will give it a try.

Like I said, I'm much more limited on the keyboard than I am on the guitar. And even more limited when playing the melody vs. singing along with the chords.

I've learned some stuff here and appreciate the feedback.

smile

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 10:54 AM

Col, that recording of Autumn Leaves came through very muddy sounding. Not quite sure why, but it may be overdriven while recording. Neat style for that song, though.

Gary cool

I had to cut the file down to get it under 6Mb.

I'll post it on boxnet

https://app.box.com/s/sinlnnwog6gqzywhlkqz81p3bxyr9yvp

Col
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 12:18 PM

I'm liking this! First, this proves that, with some sensitivity, it's possible to post a critique of substance and have it appreciated ,not resented.

2nd, I think that some of the negative criticism of Chas is unfortunate. And, Don's 2nd post is that of a real man who reconsidered a hasty comment. He didn't have to clarify, seeing how he's the biggest and meanest of us all.

3rd, fortunately, our poster saw all comments, including the "squirley ones" from dear Boo for what they really were, sincere efforts to help.

Frankly, there were times when I wich I had been brave enough to be blatant about some really basic errors in posts.

I share Chas' image of a negative dude. Sadly, sometimes that assessment is right.

But this sequence of shared experience, knowledge and opinions
was GREAT!

Let's keep it up!

Russ

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 02:21 PM

I love DonM and Gary and I mean them no offense. I don't care if they only know 150 variations of chord structure in only 10 keys and sound like Willy Nelson. Along with Randy, Garth, Eddie Arnold, Ray Price, and the Boot Scoottin Boogie boys, Willy is one of the better country vocalist.

OK who did I leave out Don?

Oh! and I'd rather talk to Gary's wife then him too. She's got to be at least 10 or 12 times better looking then that ugly face that Gary walks around with.

Uncle Dave will always be the one I remember arguing with! He was the greatest.

What about Donny. He's always been generous in sharing his great Ray Charles and Steve Tyrell midi's with me.

Chas and Russ I would gig with for free.

Oh remember how Uncle Dave vigorously deplored the word "GIG" which I'm sure he still does. Hahaha!

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 02:25 PM

So happens I recorded Georgia recently on the job, using Ketron SD7.
http://donmasonmusic.com/Georgia.mp3

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 02:41 PM

clap clap clap

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 03:15 PM

SD7 sounds great. Don's vocals sound great. But that's not what's important here (yikes, here it comes). That tune is melancholy and bluesy and needs to be done that way. The chord structure helps but every decent rendition is peppered with little soulful 'licks' and blues-tinged accents (on piano, sax, even strings) and that's what gives it it's character or 'feel'. If you're going to do this song on an arranger keyboard you MUST add the 'spice' yourself (as Don has done here). Without it, no matter how good your vocals, it's not going to hack it. At every break in this tune, it cries out for a little soulful riff.

Good job, Don. Now about Willie. Who says he's underrated? He's always been one of my favorites and about the closest I'll ever get to having a Country hero smile. Of course, his image, persona, and social attitudes had a lot to do with that. The man wrote tons of hit R&B tunes during the 60's and 70's for Black artists during that era (little known fact).

I was a little suprised at how good that SD7 Sax sounded, but I think I prefer the Roland trumpet. Just an opinion, though.

chas

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 03:49 PM

Don, nice.

Confirms for me there are as many versions of the song as there are folks performing it.

Don, do you record each performance?

I've been thinking of doing that. Thing is I think video would be he most help, since, as Gary points out, we are entertainers.

Most of my audiences return based on my ability to entertain them...not my musical skills.

I want to consider myself a musician. And, as a musician, I want to improve my musical skills. But I also realize that, for the most part, my audiences are much more concerned about being entertained than how good my rendition of a song is.

Now I should mention:

My daughter and her husband are trained(college educated piano players)musicians. They are very concerned about the quality of their music. But it's also true that they earn their living doing something other than music.

My brother has taught vocal music(and is a trained piano player) for over 40 years. He has told me that he would struggle to generate income as an entertainer although, as near as I can tell, he is as good as anyone I see on TV.

smile

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 04:03 PM

Thanks for the comments.
I do record myself every job. Not every song, because I do a lot of the same songs every night. I have a Tascam DR-05 recorder. I run a Send from my mixer left and right into the two stereo channels on the recorder. Since everything, including mic goes through my keyboard and then mixer, the recorded mix will be exactly what is sent to my speakers.
If I weren't so old, fat and ugly, I'd do more video.
About this particular song. I am not totally familiar with the SD7 yet. I had a request for Georgia. I picked a Swing style, used the one-touch sounds and the default tempo and took off. I would ordinarily do it just a little slower.
Because of the way arrangers work, it is sometimes difficult to do a lot of quick left-hand changes, so the notes you add with the right can be used to sort of complete the chord. I like what Chas said about Pepper, because it's like you are adding a little seasoning to a good steak to make it even better.
There are better trumpet and sax sounds on board.
Chas there are LOTS of things I like about the Rolands. Just today I was listening to a recording of myself from 2006 on the G70. It sounded live and full, especially the drums and horns. Too bad they don't seem to be serious about arrangers any more. With just a LITTLE help the BK9 would have been a great arranger. It's pretty darn good as it is.

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 04:24 PM

Ya gotta give Boo one thing....he is a stalwart supporter of the essence of good music and the need to "spread the word".

Me, too. I believe it is my job to not only play tunes the public likes, but to educate the public to appreciate great tunes.

I want them, for instance, to be exposed to little known material of substance.

To do that, I play smaller jobs, to people who are listeners, rather than drinkers. That means less $$$$. It's worth it.

I'm not just talking jazz. Recently, I've been talking about "How Do You Keep The Music Playing", and "Just Once"; neither are jazz songs, but more Broadway type tunes. But they're beautiful musical structures. And, to do them right, you have to be better than average and study/work harder.

Sometimes, as Chas reminds us, the beauty is in the interpretation. Listen to "A House is not a Home", or "Superstar", by Luther closely, sometime. How about "Song For My Father" by Horace Silver?

I believe my job is more than just playing requests.

Am I wrong?

Russ

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 04:39 PM

Someone should find Rory Hoffman's version of "Autumn Leaves" to demonstrate the importance of outrageous talent and interpretation.

I'm so proud of my friend for developing this level of excellence.

Russ

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Someone should find Rory Hoffman's version of "Autumn Leaves" to demonstrate the importance of outrageous talent and interpretation.

Russ

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 06:20 PM

You rat! You never did tell us you found that 4th chord! Oh and what about the 10th through the 15th chord too, eh? Ha ha. I wish I could see you guys again. Now I'm tied up with Drew's puppy Miss Piggy and her Puppy my Gemma. Hard to figure out how to travel with two English Bulldogs. Penny doesn't even want to try. If it happens I'll be like Gary all alone, but Gary's a tough old "SAILOR" friend.
Sounds fine!

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 06:59 PM

Ah, my southern cohort did another fantastic job, and with a non-country song. As Usual! smile

Gary cool

Re: Georgia - 10/26/15 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: captain Russ

Russ

Well that did it. It's too late now, but first thing in the morning I'm taking my F250 loaded with 3000 lbs of sand and running over my sax till I run out of gas. A guy with a cowboy shirt improvising like that. Geez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Georgia - 10/27/15 06:22 AM

Boo, I guess for a jazz aficionado Rory's rendition was fantastic. However, if I were to play that song the same way, using a guitar or an arranger keyboard, my audiences would toss me out on my ear. It's as if Rory was trying to hit as many notes as possible in the shortest period of time. That said, his dexterity is beyond belief. I've never seen hands move that fast and accurately in my life. It's a rare talent to be sure. So, unload that sand and put the truck back in the garage. And, I'm not gonna use my keyboard for an artificial reef. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

Re: Georgia - 10/27/15 10:22 AM

Gary, you've nailed the problem. When you "catch" the jazz flu, you don't want to play for people who wouldn't want to hear your best.

Luckily, Rory is finally making the kind of money he's worth.

I'm really proud of him.

Russ

Re: Georgia - 10/27/15 12:25 PM

And, Gary, Rory plays that way because he can. It's easy to play yourself out of a job.

Russ

PS I can't believe that ANY crowd would run a player off after he played that way. That kind of talent is universal.We have to watch out for the "sour grapes" syndrome.

R

Re: Georgia - 10/27/15 01:01 PM

Can't argue with that, Russ.

Gary cool
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: Georgia - 10/27/15 05:05 PM

Boo, I guess for a jazz aficionado Rory's rendition was fantastic. However, if I were to play that song the same way, using a guitar or an arranger keyboard, my audiences would toss me out on my ear. It's as if Rory was trying to hit as many notes as possible in the shortest period of time. That said, his dexterity is beyond belief. I've never seen hands move that fast and accurately in my life. It's a rare talent to be sure.
All the best,

Gary cool

I vote for playing not as elaborate, and with feeling.

Here is a rendition of Georgia, using instruments to achieve what Ray Charles did vocally.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Re: Georgia - 10/27/15 05:21 PM

Love it, Jerry. These guys have really mastered their instruments, and they, obviously, are great entertainers as well. And, did you notice all the young people in the audience? They, apparently, liked what they heard and saw as well.

Good find,

Gary cool

Re: Georgia - 10/27/15 06:01 PM

We must listen to the master now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRgWBN8yt_E

Re: Georgia - 10/27/15 06:03 PM

I have listened to the Master, Boo, but I really don't want to sound like him. I want to sound more like myself when I sing. wink If your telephone rings, let Penny answer it. smile

Gary cool
Posted by: Taike

Re: Georgia - 10/27/15 06:34 PM

I go for Toots!

Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: Georgia - 10/28/15 05:34 AM

Taike,

What's up with the avatar? shocked

Re: Georgia - 10/28/15 09:10 AM

Taike, is that Avatar for all of the members here? Or maybe just Nigel, perhaps the UK folks, Americans, our Vietnamese friends perhaps? Oh I bet me, Russ and Chas just the Jazz guys right? Please explain. I'm sure that we are all wondering.

Re: Georgia - 10/28/15 09:43 AM

Lots of really neat passing chords coming from Tommy's guitar.
That is deceptively challenging...way more complicated than you'd think because it's done so well.

And Ray is all about interpretation. For this tuns, vocal quality is almost a non-issue.

R.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Georgia - 10/28/15 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Jerryghr
Taike,
What's up with the avatar? shocked

perhaps it's about freedom of speech ... or maybe it's just to bait some people into commenting ... confused1

Re: Georgia - 10/28/15 12:52 PM

Gary, in the Rory and the Toots version of things, there are a lot of notes, but it's about a whole lot more than speed. It's repetitive steps playing variations on a lead line within the boundaries of the structure....playing off the chords with compatible notes.

Toots plays so far behind the note that he sometimes risks "stepping on" the following one. BRILLIANT!

Again, we're talking musicianship vs. entertainment.

But, wherever each of us is coming from, you have to appreciate the raw talent, skill, knowledge and pure brilliance of guys like Toots, Tommy and our friend Rory.

I sure do!

Russ

Re: Georgia - 10/28/15 02:07 PM

Russ, there is no question about their playing skills, which far exceeds the vast majority of most of the musicians I know. I only wish I had those skills to go along with my ability to entertain. If that were the case, I could have made hundreds of dollars, like Don Mason. wink

Gary cool

Re: Georgia - 10/28/15 02:19 PM

Gary, Russ tips his roadies more than I make. smile

Re: Georgia - 10/28/15 03:06 PM

Gary, I wish I had a little of your ability to entertain.

I'd trade "chops" for that ability in a heartbeat.

Glad you're feeling better.

R.

Re: Georgia - 10/29/15 08:14 AM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I actually learned a few things from this thread. That said even though this thread did take a few strange twists and turns. crazy

It is good to be challenged a bit to improve playing skills.

That said, I always have to keep in mind what I can do to improve the experience of my audiences.

For me, that means adding songs that are requested, and finding ways to involve audience members as my audiences benefit from active involvement in what I do. Plus the AD's I deal with appreciate that.

FWIW, I did try some new chord changes on Georgia. Some worked but some(due, I think, to the way styles work on my arranger) just didn't work.

It's definitely easier to involve more complicated chords on my guitar than on my arranger.

smile

Re: Georgia - 10/29/15 08:33 AM

Ron, like I said above, learning is the fun part, especially when you get constructive criticism and assistance from forum members.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Re: Georgia - 10/29/15 08:37 AM

There ARE compromises that must be made when adapting songs to live arranger play.

Re: Georgia - 10/29/15 10:59 AM

There ARE compromises that must be made when adapting songs to live arranger play.

Yup