SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#400041 - 02/28/15 08:20 AM What can an ipad do for you?
Bachus Offline

Overhere a great video of Qui Robinez showing how to use an ipad in combination with a keyboard. (Kronos)

Here is another one...

This is my favorite app, it is named TouchOSC. You can create a whole interface by yourself that controlls midi CCs. Creating your knobs and sliders and buttons to controll your keyboard..

So lets make this a nice topic, showing off how we and others use the ipad to really add something to your setup..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#400052 - 02/28/15 12:12 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Bachus Offline

With these two apps you turn your ipad into a multiprocessing daw...

#400055 - 02/28/15 03:25 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Someone just did an experiment of controling vArranger with an iPhone, iPad or Android device and the TouchOSC application
The feedback is working too ! This is very nice

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#400057 - 02/28/15 07:08 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
An Ipad cannot do anything for me - I don't own one. However, tonight at the marina gig, I watched as a player stumbled through his I-pad trying to find Piano Man, which he said he had stored on the phone. He spent the better part of five to six minutes trying to find it, during which time the audience was on the border of getting up and leaving. I found the song on my laptop in two seconds, but he also needed the chords to play it on his guitar. I couldn't help him with those because they're in my head. He was a reader. I could have gone online and clicked on Chordie and got what he needed in about 20 seconds, which to most audiences is considered a lifetime.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#400058 - 02/28/15 09:33 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
An Ipad cannot do anything for me - I don't own one. However, tonight at the marina gig, I watched as a player stumbled through his I-pad trying to find Piano Man, which he said he had stored on the phone. He spent the better part of five to six minutes trying to find it, during which time the audience was on the border of getting up and leaving. I found the song on my laptop in two seconds, but he also needed the chords to play it on his guitar. I couldn't help him with those because they're in my head. He was a reader. I could have gone online and clicked on Chordie and got what he needed in about 20 seconds, which to most audiences is considered a lifetime.

Gary cool

Gary, this says everything about the player and nothing about the ipad, on my ipad inselect artist (billy joel) and then song piano man... I can do that trick in few secconds for 1) midi 2) text 3) musical notes/chords 4) mp3

Its called preperation, and offcourse musical knowledge... However i can also browse easilly dor pArt of the title If i dont know the artist... But theb in geberal if indont know the artist the song is not on my phone

Chordie is browser based and works just as well on iphone, ioad or an android device .. I can even make an icon on my phone that makes the ipad open chordie just like any app. I tested it and took me 15 secconds once inhad created the shortcut on my page

So blame the person and not the ipad....

Edited by Bachus (02/28/15 09:34 PM)

#400059 - 02/28/15 10:00 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: DAN.2000]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DAN.2000
Someone just did an experiment of controling vArranger with an iPhone, iPad or Android device and the TouchOSC application
The feedback is working too ! This is very nice

Dan, there is also Emulator Pro for windows which does the same.

However, where the iupad app costs €5, the windows program costs €150 and in the end both are just as usefull...

For Varranger you can have your ipad taped to your midi controller, giving you an extra controll surface, directly at hand... not only for Varranger, but also for anything else you can controll over midi... like VST's or your note reasder program. In the end the Ipad is much more mobile then your big PC screen..

Keep in mind however, that having a master keyboard with many buttons, sliders, pads and knobs will allways be the preferred way of input for most of us.... I as a player would allways want to have my most important functions placed on physical elements.. but adding TouchOSC on an ipad or android tablet adds so many possibiliities on top of that...

As i said, it is my favourite ipad app... a good example is a surface that controlls a sequencer... it has 4 main buttons.... and functions like the chord sequencer of my Tyros 5.. RECORD, PlAY (1 time), LOOP, SAVE, (and 8 save positions to recall.. and a clean button)... in the end its just a trick, the save positions are not really save positions, but they are tracks in the sequencer. so if i want to save a project, it actually needs to be done in the sequencer. However, i can open a fresh project from a button on the ipad..

So basically its very very simple to create stuff..

Edited by Bachus (02/28/15 10:11 PM)

#400062 - 03/01/15 12:52 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Yes, you create your own control surface, depending on your need.

The good thing with TouchOSC, is that you can do it wireless

For a guitar or accordion player, you can control vArranger from your iPhone at 10 meters, to start the next song or change volumes...

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#400063 - 03/01/15 05:33 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ummm, I guess it's just me, but it just seems to be getting more and more about the technology and less and less about the music. I just can't imagine a professional entertainer standing in front of an audience scrolling through an iphone looking for a song for five minutes.....or even two minutes. I know some people try to be prepared for any request but I don't think that's realistic (although some pro's have amazing repertories). If you don't know the tune well enough to fake it, 'fess up and move on. I know it's different with a band, but we always had a list of (@200) tunes that we could play 'cold', and if a request wasn't on that list, we would just say no and offer a substitute. I guess the public (or the club owners) are more demanding these days.

Here's another idea; post a sign on the bandstand stating "WE DON'T TAKE REQUESTS".

chas

#400064 - 03/01/15 06:18 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Ummm, I guess it's just me, but it just seems to be getting more and more about the technology and less and less about the music. I just can't imagine a professional entertainer standing in front of an audience scrolling through an iphone looking for a song for five minutes.....or even two minutes. I know some people try to be prepared for any request but I don't think that's realistic (although some pro's have amazing repertories). If you don't know the tune well enough to fake it, 'fess up and move on. I know it's different with a band, but we always had a list of (@200) tunes that we could play 'cold', and if a request wasn't on that list, we would just say no and offer a substitute. I guess the public (or the club owners) are more demanding these days.

Here's another idea; post a sign on the bandstand stating "WE DON'T TAKE REQUESTS".

chas

What point are you rrying to make.... That using ipads on stage makes you a bad player?

A good musician indeed does not require an ipad, when he gets a request, he selects a drumbeat and a sound... And starts playing..

But if you would have taken the time to watch the first video, you would have seen that it was about a top knotch musician using an ipad as an extensions to his instrument to overcome the shortcommings of his instrument...

But then its seems that using technollogy in an innovative performance is way beyound what many of the arranger players will ever archieve, creating music is much more then replaying the tunes one remembers from his youth, if you think using the ipad as an MP3 player is acceptable on a live stage, you are so wrong.. This post about the ipad is all about being creative with music and creating orriginal music and compositions..

And not about using it as an MP3 player or a textreader..

There is a reason workstations and arrangers started loosing sales numbers....... They stopped being innovative.... The true innovation in music is happening on devices that have no onboard keys...

Edited by Bachus (03/01/15 06:22 AM)

#400065 - 03/01/15 06:28 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

What point are you rrying to make.... That using ipads on stage makes you a bad player?

Not at all. Only YOU can make you a bad player. To me, standing on stage scrolling through an iphone (in Gary's example) for five minutes, is more detrimental to a performance than just saying "we don't have that song prepared, could we do another for you" or something like that. JMO. Don't get upset.

chas

#400066 - 03/01/15 07:08 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Not at all. Only YOU can make you a bad player. To me, standing on stage scrolling through an iphone (in Gary's example) for five minutes, is more detrimental to a performance than just saying "we don't have that song prepared, could we do another for you" or something like that. JMO. Don't get upset.

chas
as i said, you missed the whole point about this ipad post... Its about using the ipad as an expresive part of your performance.. Which you fail to see as your reaction indicates..

#400068 - 03/01/15 07:49 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Ok, I admit that my post was more a reaction to Gary's description of a guy scrolling through an ipad for five minutes in the middle of a performance. If an Ipad enhances your performance, I'm for it, if it contributes to the kind of situation described above, I'm against it. Clear? BTW, your response to Gary's post seemed reasonable, yet your response to my post seemed (to me) rather hostile. Yet, I was merely agreeing with his point. So is it the message or the messenger? In my world, everyone has a right to an opinion, whether you agree with it or not.

So, did I miss the point of your post? Not really. It's just that I wasn't responding to YOUR post, I was responding to a comment another poster had made. That happens on a forum. Get used to it.

chas

#400069 - 03/01/15 07:56 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

1 2 cha cha cha

#400070 - 03/01/15 08:43 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Bachus, Not only have I've seen this take place at this venue, I've seen it at several venues during the past several weeks. The band members all have I-pads and Iphones, and they are mounted on flimsy music stands in front of the player/performer. The band leader says "OK, we're going to play an often requested song by The Eagles. Hotel California." At that point the band members are all scrolling, looking at tiny print, trying to find Hotel California. Those flimsy stands are rocking back and forth as the players try to tap those touch screens and hit the correct area, which is damned near impossible from what I saw.

My point is that all of this could have easily and efficiently accomplished using a netbook PC, and at about the same price. However, the netbook has all the features of of a PC and does not need apps to accomplish those goals. Netbooks are very easy to navigate using a touch-pad, or a wireless mini-mouse, which can easily be concealed. Additionally, you can have more than one screen opened at a time and still be able to read the printed information on the screen.

Now, maybe I'm old and cantankerous, but I still embrace technology when it's beneficial to my onstage performances. That's why I use an arranger keyboard, netbook, vocal processor, and other devices that not only make me sound good, but in addition, keep that music flowing throughout the performance. The guy playing the guitar, fiddle, sax, trumpet etc... was unable to get to his I-pad while playing and singing. He had to wait till he had finished that song, then go to the I-pad to select the next one. He was a reader and without that sheet music right in front of him he was lost. Additionally, he had no method of scrolling the sheets, so he had to quickly reach up and tap the screen while playing in order to get to the next page. None of these things seem very beneficial to me, an onstage entertainer/performer/musician. I would love to see one I-pad or I-Phone in action where this phenomena has not happened - but to date, this has not happened. All of this technology is neat stuff, but some of it just does not appeal to those of us that perform daily onstage in front of audiences.

All the best,

Gary cool

#400071 - 03/01/15 09:37 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Bachus, Not only have I've seen this take place at this venue, I've seen it at several venues during the past several weeks. The band members all have I-pads and Iphones, and they are mounted on flimsy music stands in front of the player/performer. The band leader says "OK, we're going to play an often requested song by The Eagles. Hotel California." At that point the band members are all scrolling, looking at tiny print, trying to find Hotel California. Those flimsy stands are rocking back and forth as the players try to tap those touch screens and hit the correct area, which is damned near impossible from what I saw.

My point is that all of this could have easily and efficiently accomplished using a netbook PC, and at about the same price. However, the netbook has all the features of of a PC and does not need apps to accomplish those goals. Netbooks are very easy to navigate using a touch-pad, or a wireless mini-mouse, which can easily be concealed. Additionally, you can have more than one screen opened at a time and still be able to read the printed information on the screen.

Now, maybe I'm old and cantankerous, but I still embrace technology when it's beneficial to my onstage performances. That's why I use an arranger keyboard, netbook, vocal processor, and other devices that not only make me sound good, but in addition, keep that music flowing throughout the performance. The guy playing the guitar, fiddle, sax, trumpet etc... was unable to get to his I-pad while playing and singing. He had to wait till he had finished that song, then go to the I-pad to select the next one. He was a reader and without that sheet music right in front of him he was lost. Additionally, he had no method of scrolling the sheets, so he had to quickly reach up and tap the screen while playing in order to get to the next page. None of these things seem very beneficial to me, an onstage entertainer/performer/musician. I would love to see one I-pad or I-Phone in action where this phenomena has not happened - but to date, this has not happened. All of this technology is neat stuff, but some of it just does not appeal to those of us that perform daily onstage in front of audiences.

All the best,

Gary cool

Again there is no difference between an ipad and a netbook in finding things if you are trained at it... If the players are trained at it, they can easilly find what they need on an ipad, as easy as on a netbook..

And again thats not what we are discussing here, just look the bloody videos... Its not about selecting bloody music pages, its about having creative tools on your ipad that actually are helpfull creating music..

For example as described above... I created a chordsequencer on my ipad that works perfectly well together with my T5.. And takes 2 secconds to open..

#400072 - 03/01/15 10:11 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

All the best,

Gary cool

DITTO Gary

LAPTOPS RULE on Stage NAVIGATIONALY....IMO!

Edited by Dnj (03/01/15 10:22 AM)

#400073 - 03/01/15 10:17 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I probably did 20-25 requests last night. Didn't have to Google anything, but there are occasions when I get a request, maybe for a song I sort of know, but don't remember the words. When I have time I will look it up and if I think I can do it, I will. This has often made me an extra $20. If it's something I don't feel I can do justice to, I will wait until break and play an MP3 of it while I go pee. smile
My situation is rather unique though. People are dining and a few get up and dance. For the most part they want to hear memories of good times in their lives. Very seldom do I feel the need to go instantly from song to song, "keeping them on the dance floor". In fact, the guys don't want to stay out there for more than a song or two! We're talking older rich people, as a rule. (I CAN go from song to song with nearly zero time between, but this is not the setting for it most of the time).
I use a very small laptop for lyrics/chords, but sometimes go for an hour or two without looking at it. I also use it to play music on my breaks. I could do all this with the keyboard, but lt makes it easier. I do have about 100 songs set up in my Songbook list on the keyboard. This is just to speed up finding the appropriate style, tempo, etc. They are all songs I KNOW I will be expected to do most nights. They include generic setups for all genres as well.
I tried using a tablet, but as suggested, I believe the real advantage of that would be the apps available, and for the creative side of making music.
At this point in my career I mostly play songs I already know. But if I were younger, I would most likely totally embrace any new technology that added to my craft.
There is a young girl who plays piano and sings at the place I work. She knows some songs from memory, but most of them she reads from an Iphone. She has a list and generally goes from song to song with little fuss. I have seen her spend a couple of minutes looking for a requested song that is "out of order". I suppose her eyes are better than mine, because the phone is lying flat on top of her electric piano and really can't be seen from the audience.
I think mostly what she does is new stuff, because most of them I don't recognize--Adele, Lada Gaga, etc. Most requests from this crowd, she just doesn't know and can't do, because she's never even heard of them. I have a 40+ year experience advantage. Also, since she just plays piano, there is no real "beat" to dance to. As a rule, when she plays the people eat, get up and leave. I am able to keep lots of them hanging around and have an after dinner drink or two. Drinks are about $15. each, so if I can keep them for an extra round that adds up very nicely for the establishment.
I know this is rambling way off topic, but I guess it all is somewhat related. There are so many layers of technology and so many great innovations. We can embrace what aspects that are best suited for what we need, from basic piano to really no limit.
As I sit here thinking about last night, some of the requests come to mind. Might be interesting to some: Fly Me To The Moon, Satin Doll, Stand By Me, Wonderful Tonight, Don't Close Your Eyes, To Make You Feel My Love, Spooky, Marie LaVeaux, Almost Like A Song, The Way You Look Tonight, Long Tall Sally (Her name must have been Sally!), You Are My Sunshine, Unchained Melody, Green Onions... and many more. I think it takes an old person to pull this off! smile
Sorry for rambling Bachus!

#400074 - 03/01/15 10:25 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

I watched the videos - everything appeared slow and cumbersome, and for the life of me I really didn't see a good application for a live, onstage performer. The dead time between changes was horrendous. Maybe there is something I'm missing. Show me examples of something done live, onstage, with a performer. The videos appeared to be someone sitting in a studio with a video camera trained on what he was doing to create sounds, but nothing along the lines of what an entertainer would do in a live situation. So, enlighten me, show me a real world situations where a performer, or better yet, an entire band could REALLY benefit from having an I-Phone in front of them while playing an instrument. I would really like to see this.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#400075 - 03/01/15 10:45 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

i give up......

Take this...

The first one that recognises a music reader in this video gets a free ride to the alzheimer center...

#400076 - 03/01/15 10:45 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Don, you and I are both pretty damned old - and we think a lot alike. However, most of the jobs I do involve dancers, even the restaurant/nite club jobs. This past Friday, I had lots of requests, and it only took a few seconds for me to search through the music finder, hit the keys and I was fast into the song. And, like you, I manage to keep those patrons in their chairs sipping on expensive drinks long after they've finished their over-priced meals. This keeps the management happy, keeps the patrons happy and drinking, and keeps my paychecks flowing, which keeps me very happy.

Ive traveled extensively throughout the US, making a point to see as many entertainers as possible and take note of what they do right, and what they do wrong. Over the decades, I've learned a lot from live, onstage entertainers such as Don Mason, Ed Shoemaker, Donny Pesce, Dave Boyd, Fran Carango, Jimmy McKinney, Bob Lee, Jerry Burns, Helmut Licht, and many, many others. And, most of them will tell you they've learned a few things from me, but I can guarantee you it's not nearly as much as I've learned from them. By and large, we are onstage performers/entertainers/musicians, individuals that make all, or at least a portion of the living from show biz. We share a lot of information, especially technical information that will help improve our onstage performances. We ARE NOT primarily studio types who spend endless hours creating each sound and each and every song - we usually leave that stuff to hobbyists who seem to have more time on their hands, and tend to be more technology oriented.

All the best,

Gary cool

#400077 - 03/01/15 10:53 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: travlin'easy]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I watched the videos - everything appeared slow and cumbersome, and for the life of me I really didn't see a good application for a live, onstage performer. The dead time between changes was horrendous. Maybe there is something I'm missing. Show me examples of something done live, onstage, with a performer. The videos appeared to be someone sitting in a studio with a video camera trained on what he was doing to create sounds, but nothing along the lines of what an entertainer would do in a live situation. So, enlighten me, show me a real world situations where a performer, or better yet, an entire band could REALLY benefit from having an I-Phone in front of them while playing an instrument. I would really like to see this.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Music Creation, nothing more nothing less, (Not everybody wants to listen to boring and repetitive styles) as to finding the music, it saves carrying a boat load of fake books around, which in the past decades was the only way if you couldn’t play from memory or by ear. (Many people can’t)

As to a netbook then it is just another option, but usually has limited battery life and requires you to plug things in or use the keyboard. (Not forgetting that it is heavier than a Tablet, which a lot of people moan about these days)

In addition whatever you want to do there is probably an app for it, whereas a netbook is way more limited.

Bill

#400078 - 03/01/15 11:15 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Bill, for every app there are probably three computer programs that will do the same thing and more. My netbook weighs 1.2 pounds, and I have it Velcro'd to my console. The only connection is a USB/host connection, which takes less than a second to connect. Once it's connected, the PC recognizes the keyboard automatically and it's ready to perform a multitude of tasks via that single connection.

Stay warm over there,

Gary cool

#400079 - 03/01/15 11:21 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Bachus, the part about the Chord Sequencer gets my attention. I wonder if similar apps are available for Android? I have an Ipad 1, but the Android is more up to date.
The Chord Sequencer on Korg PA900 is good, but you can't save the sequences!

#400081 - 03/01/15 12:04 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Bachus, the part about the Chord Sequencer gets my attention. I wonder if similar apps are available for Android? I have an Ipad 1, but the Android is more up to date.
The Chord Sequencer on Korg PA900 is good, but you can't save the sequences!

Any sequencer that accepts midi calls will do, in my case i am using ableton live on my Macbook.... I only use the ipad for the interface, which is an app called TouchOSC which also is available in android...

On the ipad you could also make it work with a random sequencer and the midibridge app witouth any need for a PC , however i dont think that app is available on android..

I am currently using my ipad set next to the screen of My Tyros, using it mostly for the touch interface, since i moved from my windows based daw with touchscreen to my new macbook my ipad is mostly making up for the fact that my macbook does not have a touchscreen. But my recent research got me to believe that the ipad can function as much more then just the touchinterface..

Edited by Bachus (03/01/15 12:06 PM)

#400082 - 03/01/15 12:11 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Maybe I can find a way to do it from Laptop. Should be plenty of programs out there. I just never thought of it before.

#400083 - 03/01/15 12:15 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Bachus Offline

Here an OMB guitar player, using An ipad as a looper live in his performance... Who needs an arranger if he has a guitar a good voice and an ipad..

#400085 - 03/01/15 02:52 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I bought an iPad Air..mostly to do facetime with our kids...all of whom have some sort of Apple product.

Face Time works great but then so does Skype. Xbox also has a video interface...really cool because you can see the entire room and the grandkids can show you their moves...as Kinnect shows you the room they are in.

O.K. Music wise.

Don't think the iPad is going to be of much use to us musically. Great technology..can find songs and chords quickly...problem is the viewing size.

My wife took one look at the size of the screen of the iPad and asked: "How am I going to read this tiny screen?"

We'll keep the iPad for face time. Doesn't work as well as the Xbox program for that...but much more mobile.

smile

#400090 - 03/01/15 07:10 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
[quote=travlin'easy The band members all have I-pads and Iphones, and they are mounted on flimsy music stands in front of the player/performer. The band leader says "OK, we're going to play an often requested song by The Eagles. Hotel California." At that point the band members are all scrolling, looking at tiny print, trying to find Hotel California. Those flimsy stands are rocking back and forth as the players try to tap those touch screens and hit the correct area, which is damned near impossible from what I saw.
All the best,
Gary cool [/quote]
This certainly is not the fault of the technology, but of the players ... why they would not have everything in alpha order or in alpha order by artist is beyond me ...

#400091 - 03/01/15 07:10 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I just can't imagine a professional entertainer standing in front of an audience scrolling through an iphone looking for a song for five minutes.....or even two minutes.
If you don't know the tune well enough to fake it, 'fess up and move on.
chas

Many years ago I was in a NYC club listening to the Phil Woods Quartet ... At the time he had an album out with the Janis Ian tune "At Seventeen" that had gotten a fair amount of play on the jazz station I listened to. My wife and I were sitting at a table right in front of the stage and from time to time Phil would 'chat' a bit with the people in the front ... during one of thos 'chats' I asked him if they would play "At Seventeen" ... he replied "I'm sorry, but it's not in tonight's book" ... now these 4 guys probably could have played it cold and done a damn good job of it, but because it wasn't what they had rehearsed, Phil wasn't playing it ...

#400093 - 03/01/15 09:46 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: tony mads usa]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
I just can't imagine a professional entertainer standing in front of an audience scrolling through an iphone looking for a song for five minutes.....or even two minutes.
If you don't know the tune well enough to fake it, 'fess up and move on.
chas

Many years ago I was in a NYC club listening to the Phil Woods Quartet ... At the time he had an album out with the Janis Ian tune "At Seventeen" that had gotten a fair amount of play on the jazz station I listened to. My wife and I were sitting at a table right in front of the stage and from time to time Phil would 'chat' a bit with the people in the front ... during one of thos 'chats' I asked him if they would play "At Seventeen" ... he replied "I'm sorry, but it's not in tonight's book" ... now these 4 guys probably could have played it cold and done a damn good job of it, but because it wasn't what they had rehearsed, Phil wasn't playing it ...

This however depends very much on the setting, it will not be appreciated in all settings. Tough it is very professional and wise.

#400097 - 03/02/15 05:08 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Bachus,

Keep the information coming. That's how we keep up to date with the newest technology in our trade.

If we don't see a need for it we won't use it, but at least we know it's there. It may have an application up the road for us.
ex. I told the dealer I don't need a backup camera and heated seats in my car...........now I can't live without it, especially this year.

It's like going to a buffet. There are many different food choices available, but we don't eat everything. We pick and choose what we like.

PS: At the local Casino there are several duos that are using the I-pads very effectively, and are real crowd pleasers. The I-pads are in front of them on a mic stand, and that is all they use for chords, words, set lists etc. Nice clean professional setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmqpG6ONWHw

They are part of a full band on weekends, but can perform as a duo using the technology to play on occasions when a full band is not needed.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (03/02/15 05:22 AM)

#400105 - 03/02/15 11:14 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I use an iPad when performing, and when my band plays, there are 4 iPads. I have prepared things so that at a gig, all the iPads are networked. I am the one who calls up the songs ... either via a set list (prepared order of songs), or via "on-the-fly" requests and "feeling" what the audience might like. It takes me ~2 seconds to call up any song. The other 3 iPads instantly also show that same song. I change the pages (when needed) instantly, and all the other iPads change automatically.

I now have it so my keyboard's Registration changes to the song registration instantly too. So, I can call up any song and be playing it within ~2-3 seconds.

For this use, the iPads simply replace having music books to carry, to flip through, or to have pages lowing in the wind (at outdoor gigs), etc. It's not a "cheap" solution, but the band members all owned iPads already, so we put them to good use. I play probably ~30% of my songs purely from memory, and for the other ~70%, I have about 1,000 song sheets that I've put into the iPads. I edited many of them, to make the lyrics and chords larger for our "older" eyes :-) All band members have the same song set (PDF files) on their iPads.

So, for this use, the iPad saves time, doesn't get in the way, and still lets us be musicians ...

-Jim

#400106 - 03/02/15 11:20 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: jimlaing]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: jimlaing
I use an iPad when performing, and when my band plays, there are 4 iPads. I have prepared things so that at a gig, all the iPads are networked. I am the one who calls up the songs ... either via a set list (prepared order of songs), or via "on-the-fly" requests and "feeling" what the audience might like. It takes me ~2 seconds to call up any song. The other 3 iPads instantly also show that same song. I change the pages (when needed) instantly, and all the other iPads change automatically.

I now have it so my keyboard's Registration changes to the song registration instantly too. So, I can call up any song and be playing it within ~2-3 seconds.

For this use, the iPads simply replace having music books to carry, to flip through, or to have pages lowing in the wind (at outdoor gigs), etc. It's not a "cheap" solution, but the band members all owned iPads already, so we put them to good use. I play probably ~30% of my songs purely from memory, and for the other ~70%, I have about 1,000 song sheets that I've put into the iPads. I edited many of them, to make the lyrics and chords larger for our "older" eyes :-) All band members have the same song set (PDF files) on their iPads.

So, for this use, the iPad saves time, doesn't get in the way, and still lets us be musicians ...

-Jim

Love the networking idea... changing all the musicsheets in one go., What app are you suing for that?

#400107 - 03/02/15 11:38 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: jimlaing]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: jimlaing
I use an iPad when performing, and when my band plays, there are 4 iPads. I have prepared things so that at a gig, all the iPads are networked.

-Jim

This is a very creative idea Jim.

Ian

#400108 - 03/02/15 11:43 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
jimlaing Offline

I'm using unrealBook. I has a "master/slave" setup; I make my iPad the master, the others slaves. So the other musicians basically use the iPads as display devices. They don't have to do any tapping/scrolling at all. My iPad controls theirs. And my iPad calls up Registrations too (and I have ~500 of those) so it saves me from having to press some keyboard buttons to get the Tyros ready for almost any song I choose from those in my iPad (if I have a Registration set up for it).

Jim

#400109 - 03/02/15 12:01 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
124 Offline

#400110 - 03/02/15 12:20 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

The video in no way shows navigational features while playing live or searching for songs, lyrics, etc, all while playing,
keeping 3 or 4 separate windows open, mp3 songs, backing tracks, lyrics at the same time etc, vs a good laptop!!......
that's what tablet of any kind can't do. If so prove it to me but I highly doubt it,..
The tablet was useless to me on stage & no match for using keys & up/down arrows on stage to search thru hundreds of files for my needs when I had one dumped it quick after 2 weeks. ...[b][/b]

Edited by Dnj (03/02/15 12:23 PM)

#400111 - 03/02/15 12:29 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
The video in no way shows navigational features while playing live or searching for songs, lyrics, etc, all while playing,
keeping 3 or 4 separate windows open, mp3 songs, backing tracks, lyrics at the same time etc, vs a good laptop!!......
that's what tablet of any kind can't do. If so prove it to me but I highly doubt it,..
The tablet was useless to me on stage & no match for using keys & up/down arrows on stage to search thru hundreds of files for my needs when I had one dumped it quick after 2 weeks. ...[b][/b]

Thats where you fail, trying to use an ipad as if it was a pc....

Using an ipad requires rethinking... And keep in mind, he got his setup toally midified and controlled..

#400112 - 03/02/15 12:52 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
124 Offline

I'm not a tech kinda guy, but that video sure got me interested. Doesn't seem to be all that difficult.

#400113 - 03/02/15 01:12 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Using an ipad requires rethinking... And keep in mind, he got his setup toally midified and controlled..

Yep, a bit of rethinking and creativity...fellow SZ', Jim, above, has used both effectively!

These devices are only limited by the narrow-mindedness (or, put more kindly, set-in-their-ways-thinking) of the user.

Ian

#400115 - 03/02/15 02:13 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

rethinking? Really?......let me make this as plain as can be....
For My needs on stage performing a tablet of any kind WILL NOT come close to what I can do on a laptop in so many ways period end of story.

Edited by Dnj (03/02/15 02:37 PM)

#400116 - 03/02/15 02:15 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

Yep, a bit of rethinking and creativity...fellow SZ', Jim, above, has used both effectively!

These devices are only limited by the narrow-mindedness (or, put more kindly, set-in-their-ways-thinking) of the user.

Ian

let me repeat... rethinking? Really?......let me make this as plain as can be....For My needs on stage performing with a tablet of any kind WILL NOT come close to what I can do on a Laptop in so many ways period end of story.

PS and YES I'm open minded..just sayin'

Edited by Dnj (03/02/15 02:38 PM)

#400117 - 03/02/15 02:29 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

You still have to hand it to Jim...that was very creative thinking...and thinking outside the box, no less.

Ian

#400119 - 03/02/15 04:10 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
KORG80 Offline

Looked pretty darn efficient to me and Jim's master/slave setup is pretty amazing. I just got an iPad mini that I've started to use for lyric files. What Jim has shared with us shows that when linked to the onboard software of the keyboard it can me a very capable alternative to a laptop. Like Gary and Donny I would be perhaps more confident with a laptop but I don't really want to lug a somewhat heavy notebook if I can do what I need to do with my iPad Mini. I'll need to look into that APP. Thanks for sharing Jim!

God Bless,
Don

#400120 - 03/02/15 04:16 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: KORG80]
KORG80 Offline

Just searched the Apple Store for UnrealBook and came up blank.

God Bless,
Don

#400122 - 03/02/15 04:35 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: KORG80]
KORG80 Offline

Found it through Google!

#400179 - 03/04/15 12:26 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: KORG80]
Bachus Offline

Here is another one, or actually two, audiomux and midimux allow you to send audio and midi from and to your macbooks DAW ove rthe USB cable making the ipad even more usefull in your home studio...

#400198 - 03/05/15 05:47 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
jimlaing Offline

Interesting discussion ... I won't argue that a laptop is easier to type on, and has plenty of great software, possible uses, etc. I own a laptop too. I just chose to use the iPad I already owned, and (as in the note a while back in this thread), I found that with some "prep work", it works very well for the way I use it at gigs.

When I do a solo gig, I use prepared "set lists" to get started, then if the audience (via request or my "judgement" of how they are responding to various songs) wants something "off-set-list", I can call it up in seconds. And the iPad sets up my Tyros too (via Registration links). I went straight from physical music books and lists on pieces of paper, to iPad (I didn't happen to try/use a laptop on stage).

At band gigs, it's about the same, plus the "master/slave" thing I described. It's not perfect - once in a while there is a glitch or something, but that's rare. And even with the "on screen" keyboard, I can call up most any song in my ~1100 or so song index, with just 3-4 characters (If I want to call up "Hotel California", I just do a single tap in the upper left of the screen to bring up the Search field, then I type "cali" - and there it is - tap the song name, it loads the PDF for the song, and sets up my keyboard, I'm ready to play. And the band members see "Hotel California" come up on their iPads.

unrealBook is definitely in the Apple store (app store on the iPad), as I helped my bandmates purchase and set it up etc.).

Hope this is helpful info,
Jim

Edited by jimlaing (03/05/15 05:49 AM)

#400201 - 03/05/15 06:16 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Jim, just curious. How do you use the arranger in a (4pc) band setting? Do you use any of the arranger functions or just use it as you might use a synth or workstation? What is the other instrumentation? Do they all play on every tune? Are they all instrumentalist or are some just singers?

I remember that Diki used an arranger (G70) when he worked in a band setting but for the most part, it's pretty rare. What, in your opinion, is the advantage of using an arranger over a synth/workstation in a band setting?

Are there any other arranger players that work mostly in a band setting? Curious minds want to know.

chas

#400202 - 03/05/15 06:30 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

no biggie if you ain't in a band just dont use the auto styles function...simple,....arrangers can do it all up to a point vs a workstation/synth etc..

if your a reader most ipad/ tablet users use it as a alternative to using a book for charts lyrics, etc, ....imo it's just a big screen phone.

Edited by Dnj (03/05/15 06:33 AM)

#400203 - 03/05/15 06:53 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Jim

Very interesting use of the IPAd. I recently got one and first set it up for DJing. Better than CD's but a bit quirky with the touch screen. I use an old ITouch along with an IMix so I can set up the IPAD lists while the ITouch plays a song. So far so good but lots of wires.
Recently I delved in UNrealbook. This looks like a big winner for me down the road. Since I'm using a BK9 and Roland has sort of made the iPad compatible with it do you know how I would go about having the IPAD do registrations along with songs in UNrealbook ?

BTW years ago I saw Harry Connick's band all with Apple Laptops instead of music books. Ahead of his time with that idea.

#400205 - 03/05/15 07:31 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
mellow1 Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I've followed this discussion with interest since I have been using unrealBook for some time on an iPad. I agree with some of the detractors, but for me the benefits outweigh the shortcomings. BUT NOW - this may be a game changer for some:
"WSJ spills major new details about Apple’s massive 12.9-inch iPad"

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/wsj-spills-major-details-apple-massive-12-9-140021251.html
Skip

#400214 - 03/05/15 10:42 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: mellow1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: mellow1
I've followed this discussion with interest since I have been using unrealBook for some time on an iPad. I agree with some of the detractors, but for me the benefits outweigh the shortcomings. BUT NOW - this may be a game changer for some:
"WSJ spills major new details about Apple’s massive 12.9-inch iPad"

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/wsj-spills-major-details-apple-massive-12-9-140021251.html
Skip

12.9" screen on an ipad, would really be great for us musicians that use the ipad as a touchscreen... and not as much as a handhold thingy

Edited by Bachus (03/05/15 10:42 AM)

#400264 - 03/06/15 01:50 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
jimlaing Offline

Re: the question about my band (when there are 4 iPads in use) ... well, it's actually a 5pc (and occasionally 6pc) group. Drums, Bass, Electric guitar, Acoustic guitar+vocals, and me on keyboards. (6th member, when present, is another singer). In that scenario, since we have drums, bass, guitars - I use my Tyros5 for sounds (no arranger features). I do use a lot of its sounds - of course pianos, E-pianos, strings, and sometimes horns/flutes/saxes, and B3-like organ, and synth sounds.

For my solo, duo and trio gigs, I use full arranger features. (and one, two or 3 iPads are in use). My gigs are probably about ~40% solo, 30% duo+trio, and 30% "full band" (5pc).

-Jim

#400268 - 03/06/15 03:13 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
tnicoson Offline

Loc: Chicago area - USA
Bachus

Many thanks. I particularly enjoyed the video on the Yamaha Synth and Drum Pad app. I have had that app since it was first released, but never realized all that could be done with it, so I now have a much renewed interest in it.

I just saw a new post over on the PSR Tutorial forum about using the Yamaha Mobile Music Sequencer (MMS) iPad app to make music with the Motif, MO-X, Tyros, or PSR (even the lowly, but noble, PSR-E443). If you have not seen it yet, you might want to pop over there and take a look.

Thanks again !

Regards,

Ted

Edited by tnicoson (03/06/15 03:37 PM)

#400269 - 03/06/15 03:26 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Jim, thanks for responding. I was mainly interested in how the arranger was used in the full band setting. I can see how voice navigation might be somewhat easier on an arranger than on some of the more complex synths and workstations.....plus, the newest arranger voices are on a par, quality wise, with most synths/ws's these days.

chas

#400346 - 03/08/15 10:56 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: cgiles]
guitpic1 Offline

My dream tablet will be one that is at least 12"(diagonal), has USB ports and the ability to add flash memory as well as a keyboard dock station.

The iPad pro sounds like a possibility but I'm guessing Samsung(or some Android/Google) will be there first with all that and more in the coming months...for a lot less $$$.

Here's the thing that amazes me....a bit of an explanation first as someone who used Apple as a teacher..12 years and then went to Windows/Android when I worked in industry(25 years)and now uses Apple(again)as a teacher since retiring and going back into ed.

Android(read Samsung or whatever) has a lot more capability, is easier to work with(and I'm saying this as an iPad owner),is twice as flexible memory wise as about anything Apple.

I finally bought an Apple iPad this year because about everyone I work with in Ed(teachers/administrators)...uses Apple...has since they were 5 years old or started school.

And, of course, for a price, Apple has apps that work with my Tyros 4...but then so does Android.

Apple was the smartest of all...going back to the early 1980's...I was there. Apple put their P.C's in schools. I had the Apple IIc for my kids. My kids learned on Apple...guess what they use?

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (03/08/15 11:19 AM)

#400348 - 03/08/15 11:19 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: guitpic1
My dream tablet will be one that is at least 12"(diagonal), has USB ports and the ability to add flash memory as well as a keyboard dock station.

The iPad pro sounds like a possibility but I'm guessing Samsung(or some Android/Google) will be there first with all that and more in the coming months...for a lot less $$$.

Here's the thing that amazes me....a bit of an explanation first as someone who used Apple as a teacher..12 years and then went to Windows/Android when I worked in industry(25 years)and now uses Apple(again)as a teacher since retiring and going back into ed.

Android(read Samsung or whatever) has a lot more capability, is easier to work with(and I'm saying this as an iPad owner),is twice as flexible memory wise as about anything Apple.

I finally bought an Apple iPad this year because about everyone I work with in Ed(teachers/administrators)...uses Apple...has since they were 5 years old or started school.

And, of course, for a price, Apple has apps that work with my Tyros 4...but then so does Android.

Apple was the smartest of all...going back to the early 1980's...I was there. Apple put their P.C's in schools. I had the Apple IIc for my kids. My kids learned on Apple...guess what they use?

smile

There is a great tablet that fits your needs...

Microsoft surface pro 3....

And you can run apps on it, as well as professional windows software..

Its also more expensive then an ipad, but with the added keyboard it is the best of 2 worlds..

Edited by Bachus (03/08/15 11:20 AM)

#400349 - 03/08/15 11:22 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Yes, if they keep at it, eventually tablets will be able to do almost everything a laptop now does.

#400351 - 03/08/15 11:32 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Yes, if they keep at it, eventually tablets will be able to do almost everything a laptop now does.

Microsoft surface pro 3 tablet is as good as anynpowerfull laptop, it has an i7 inside 16 gigs of memmory and a 512 GB SSD.. You can also buy a sepperate keyboard for it..

Edited by Bachus (03/08/15 11:33 AM)

#400353 - 03/08/15 01:09 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

At the current price of a Surface Pro, I can purchase 4 net book PCs that are about the same weight, a bit smaller (less obvious) display, and has more power and features. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-su...p;skuId=6244044

Cheers,

Gary cool

#400356 - 03/08/15 02:01 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

At the current price of a Surface Pro, I can purchase 4 net book PCs that are about the same weight, a bit smaller (less obvious) display, and has more power and features. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-su...p;skuId=6244044

Cheers,

Gary cool

Please link that 500$ netbook that is more powerfull then the surface pro..

When you want a laptop with these specs you will end up with an ultrabook, they are about $1500

The microsoft tablet starts at $799 and those specs might be comparable to that $500 notebook. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-su...p;skuId=6243036

#400364 - 03/08/15 06:47 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

I bought this last year. Does everything I need. Not sure how it compares to other gear.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KX8OLN6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#400366 - 03/08/15 11:00 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

I bought this last year. Does everything I need. Not sure how it compares to other gear.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KX8OLN6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thats a wonderfull device... however, you may run short on power the first instance you are going to try and use it as a professional music system (i.e. DAW)

But its a wonderfull alternative for an ipad. and it has the attachable dock

But its not comparable to the miscrosoft tablets in power, they have the top line processors and memmory, this is only a lowend netbook processor... tough admittable its uop to most general tasks..

#400367 - 03/09/15 04:06 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I bought a Surface Pro 2, 8.1 a few months ago and it outperforms everything I have had to this point.

#400390 - 03/09/15 09:54 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

[quote=Bachus

Its also more expensive then an ipad, but with the added keyboard it is the best of 2 worlds.. [/quote]

The Surface Pro does seem to have some real possibilities as an all in one device. Sounds like a version 4 is coming with even a possible 14" screen.

#400392 - 03/09/15 10:29 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: guitpic1
[quote=Bachus

Its also more expensive then an ipad, but with the added keyboard it is the best of 2 worlds..

The Surface Pro does seem to have some real possibilities as an all in one device. Sounds like a version 4 is coming with even a possible 14" screen. [/quote]

Microsoft seems to be on the apple track with a new device every year.... its the only way to keep up with technollogy advancements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online