SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#400135 - 03/03/15 07:03 AM Vocal processors and harmonies...
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I thought we could start new topic here instead of bothering Tony ' s Hotel California.

What do you guys use, and how??which modes you use??
Also if someone wants to post demo , you are more than welcomed.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#400136 - 03/03/15 07:21 AM Re: Vocal processors and harmonies... [Re: mirza]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
So Miza, I saw that you said that you prefer to use the scale mode. Do you have to set that up before each song you play? What if a song changes keys? Just curious.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#400137 - 03/03/15 07:31 AM Re: Vocal processors and harmonies... [Re: mirza]
Dnj Offline

Mirza I know I'm not alone.. I'd like to hear your VH during a song using scales method also how to set up using scales process.....

Edited by Dnj (03/03/15 07:49 AM)

#400138 - 03/03/15 08:05 AM Re: Vocal processors and harmonies... [Re: mirza]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I use the TC Helicon Harmony-M, which I set to High and Higher, chordal mode. I use it sparingly, everyone says is sounds pretty darned good.

One thing I learned many years ago from DNJ and UD was that there's an art to using these devices. It takes quite a bit of voice control to obtain the quality you want to use for a live performance. If you do not have that ability, then forget using a vocal harmony processor.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#400139 - 03/03/15 08:44 AM Re: Vocal processors and harmonies... [Re: mirza]
mirza Offline

Hi guys.
I will try to post something as an example. It might not be in English.
I am not saying choral mode is wrong, but if you want more acurate harmonies and more musical harmonies SCALE mode is the way . Although probably with some simple songs it would work almost the same as in choral mode.

And Mr . Gary is right.If you can't control your voice and sing in the right key, harmony processor is probably not for you.It doubles and triples every mistake you do ..
I am not a singer. I sing only because I have to, but I am pretty acurate with singing . Although my voice is nothing to brag about.
But, I did sing harmonies a lot before.
That is why I am always critical about harmonies..

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#400140 - 03/03/15 09:18 AM Re: Vocal processors and harmonies... [Re: mirza]
KORG80 Offline

Gary is right. If you don't have proper breath control or if you sing lazy, the harmonizer will destroy you with scoops and warbles that are very unflattering. Until I started working with a harmonizer, I thought I could just sing the songs. Now I do a lot more thinking and make sure I'm ready when I step on that switch. In a way a harmony machine is a bit of a vocal trainer.

God Bless,
Don

#400141 - 03/03/15 09:41 AM Re: Vocal processors and harmonies... [Re: KORG80]
Dnj Offline

keys

#400148 - 03/03/15 12:08 PM Re: Vocal processors and harmonies... [Re: mirza]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Guy's

Just had to chip in with this one, I think I've had more stick than anyone here about using harmonizers. I thought I would record a classic harmony number so it had to be The Everly Bros. Just one voice a third up.

It was a very quick recording and if you listen carefully you can hear odd times when I went slightly off key and the harmony followed as Don said you have to be dead accurate.

https://app.box.com/s/4xapw7opmjc1qwx63ny5zq0q2yajxvb5

Interested to hear your opinions (Don't be shy I've got a thick skin)

Kind Regards

Col

Edited by Saswick (03/03/15 12:10 PM)

#400149 - 03/03/15 01:27 PM Re: Vocal processors and harmonies... [Re: Saswick]
KORG80 Offline

Couldn't find much wrong with that, Colin. Nice job. The one thing that the manufacturers need to work on in their harmony units is to eliminate the phasey distortion on engagement of harmony. They all have this problem to varying degrees and the reason I stick to my beloved Digitech is that it is quite a bit less noticeable than on other units.

Unless severely tweaked Yamaha's VH2 is the worst offender in my opinion. In their flagship and the world's most expensive arrangers, the Tyros series, they should have the best harmonies of any manufacturer.

God Bless,
Don

#400150 - 03/03/15 02:11 PM Re: Vocal processors and harmonies... [Re: KORG80]
mirza Offline

Here it is.

This is my first ever English speaking song . I never even tried any English song before, so bare with me.

Like I said before I just got me TC-Helicon Voiceworks, for the second time. I had it before when they came out, but sold it after couple of years to get VL2. I sold that to, because I was not using most of the things inside. I have a digital mixer and don't need effects . I just need harmonies.
I am still playing with voiceworks. Basically, how I set it up. I go left channel for lead and right channel only for harmonies to my mixer. Effects are from my x32.Mic is E945.
I am using scale mode set to Bflat. Song is Let it be, by Beatles ..
I am changing between lower and higher harmonies throughout the song..I just did one verse..
OOO,,,..I recorded it directly to my mixer. It's T5 with 90sRockBallad. I changed drums to DMX Vulgar Drums-WET..They come with ambiance recorded..

As Saswick said.. Yell, comment,don't be gentle.. grin

https://app.box.com/s/mnxkmtc73dvh9jzzyb31a82k4tow8v8g

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online