SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#400263 - 03/06/15 01:30 PM Somewhat OT: Band In A Box example song
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
Hi there, Synthzoners!

I wrote a little ditty the other day and used BiaB to make the backing track. I know BiaB isn't a tool for live play, but I think there are a few recording guys here who may find it of some interest.

As I said, the backing track was done with BiaB and then the individual tracks were imported into Reaper (my DAW of choice) in order to record the vocals and for final mixing. Importing the tracks is as simple as dragging them from BiaB into Reaper (or pretty much any other DAW). I really love that feature.

The vocal harmonies were done using my aging, but still trusty PSR 3000 VH unit.

CAUTION: Contains very mild profanity!

Stick Your Phone

Thanks for listening,
Dan

#400271 - 03/06/15 05:56 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Band In A Box example song [Re: big741.1]
KORG80 Offline

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the encouraging words on the BIAB tune I posted. My version of the software is just before they got into Real Tracks. I find their stuff pretty confusing to wade through these days as they have so much. At times I have thought that one of their everything packages on a hard drive might be a better investment for me than a new keyboard.

When I go on the PG site I hear a lot that I like but there is so much there that I find it kind of intimidating to wade through it all. I know I could make some great recordings using BIABn so I might need to check out the 2015 version. Would I still get some credit for purchasing an older version in terms of upgrade options or do they only back date so far? My version is probably more than 15 years old. I had a computer lab in my music room and used it with the kids a fair bit on old scrounged 486 computers. After I retired the board had it installed on all the modern school computers. Don't think it's there anymore since PG made so many improvements.

God Bless,
Don

Edited by KORG80 (03/06/15 05:59 PM)

#400272 - 03/06/15 09:26 PM Re: Somewhat OT: Band In A Box example song [Re: KORG80]
Bachus Offline

That phone thing is funny... i enjoyed it.

I disagree with you that BiaB is not a good tool for live playing, sure its not an arranger, but as a singer, solo guitarist, or whatever non keyboard instrument it is a great tool for making backings... and using those backings in a live environment..

Still wayting for an arranger to add a chord arranger being fully compatible with the BiaB styles and all its features..

Oh wayt, there is one... its called Varranger, You can have Varranger, BiaB and Ableton live (or any other DAW)running on your touchscreen PC side by side.. sadly BiaB is not really build for touchscreens

sometimes i wonder why we stick to hardware arrangers, as they are way less flexible then a mobile PC with a masterkeyboard

On the ther hand, despite all the gear i own and owned, i have never owned an instrument that is so much fun as the Tyros 5-76

http://keyszone.boards.net

#400283 - 03/07/15 06:56 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Band In A Box example song [Re: KORG80]
big741.1 Offline

Originally Posted By: KORG80
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the encouraging words on the BIAB tune I posted. My version of the software is just before they got into Real Tracks. I find their stuff pretty confusing to wade through these days as they have so much. At times I have thought that one of their everything packages on a hard drive might be a better investment for me than a new keyboard.

When I go on the PG site I hear a lot that I like but there is so much there that I find it kind of intimidating to wade through it all. I know I could make some great recordings using BIABn so I might need to check out the 2015 version. Would I still get some credit for purchasing an older version in terms of upgrade options or do they only back date so far? My version is probably more than 15 years old. I had a computer lab in my music room and used it with the kids a fair bit on old scrounged 486 computers. After I retired the board had it installed on all the modern school computers. Don't think it's there anymore since PG made so many improvements.

God Bless,
Don

Hi, Don.

The intimidation you mention is kind of what I was talking about re:learning curve. The folks at PG Music have packed a ton of features into BiaB, and they've given each one its own button in the menu. It makes for a confusing and overly busy interface, imo. I still don't know what over half of those buttons do, but it doesn't really matter to me because I can get BiaB to do what I need it to when I make my backing tracks. Every time I use it I learn a little more so progress is being made, albeit slowly sometimes. laugh

I'm pretty sure the upgrade option goes back to almost any previous version, but a quick call or email to PG Music would confirm this. They are quite good with answering calls and emails I'm told. They also put the whole thing on sale every December. That's how I recently upgraded to the everything pack. 50% off, I think it was. Whoohoo!

Thanks for listening,
Dan

#400284 - 03/07/15 07:01 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Band In A Box example song [Re: Bachus]
big741.1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

I disagree with you that BiaB is not a good tool for live playing, sure its not an arranger, but as a singer, solo guitarist, or whatever non keyboard instrument it is a great tool for making backings... and using those backings in a live environment..

Still wayting for an arranger to add a chord arranger being fully compatible with the BiaB styles and all its features..

Oh wayt, there is one... its called Varranger, You can have Varranger, BiaB and Ableton live (or any other DAW)running on your touchscreen PC side by side.. sadly BiaB is not really build for touchscreens

sometimes i wonder why we stick to hardware arrangers, as they are way less flexible then a mobile PC with a masterkeyboard

On the ther hand, despite all the gear i own and owned, i have never owned an instrument that is so much fun as the Tyros 5-76

Thanks, Bachus. Glad you got a giggle out of it. smile

I agree that BiaB would make some fine backing tracks for live play. I was thinking about playing it like an arranger in my original post. To me this would be the best of both worlds. The subject comes up over at the PGMusic forum, but I don't think BiaB will have this feature anytime soon (or ever for that matter). frown

Thanks for listening,
Dan

#400287 - 03/07/15 09:08 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Band In A Box example song [Re: big741.1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: big741.1

Thanks, Bachus. Glad you got a giggle out of it. smile

I agree that BiaB would make some fine backing tracks for live play. I was thinking about playing it like an arranger in my original post. To me this would be the best of both worlds. The subject comes up over at the PGMusic forum, but I don't think BiaB will have this feature anytime soon (or ever for that matter). frown

Thanks for listening,
Dan

BiaB will never function realtime as an arranger, because BiaB knows chords in front, it can weave patterns between chordchanges in fromt of the change to make for much more smoother chordchanges..

In a real time arranger there is no chordprediction possible.

#400292 - 03/07/15 09:42 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Band In A Box example song [Re: big741.1]
Dnj Offline

why BIAB when you can use an arranger KB to easily record backing tracks that sound amazing..?

Edited by Dnj (03/07/15 09:49 AM)

#400298 - 03/07/15 10:31 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Band In A Box example song [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
why BIAB when you can use an arranger KB to easily record backing tracks that sound amazing..?

Because Yamaha doesnt put a chordsequencer in their arrangers? And BiaB styles in general sound much better then most arranger styles

#400299 - 03/07/15 10:59 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Band In A Box example song [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

Because Yamaha doesnt put a chordsequencer in their arrangers? And BiaB styles in general sound much better then most arranger styles

why a CS to record backing tracks? just play live & record....as for the Biab styles being better?,..
that's questionable vs Yamaha styles IMO..

#400303 - 03/07/15 11:14 AM Re: Somewhat OT: Band In A Box example song [Re: big741.1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with DNJ on this one too.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online