SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#400115 - 03/02/15 02:13 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: Dnj
The video in no way shows navigational features while playing live or searching for songs, lyrics, etc, all while playing,
keeping 3 or 4 separate windows open, mp3 songs, backing tracks, lyrics at the same time etc, vs a good laptop!!......
that's what tablet of any kind can't do. If so prove it to me but I highly doubt it,..
The tablet was useless to me on stage & no match for using keys & up/down arrows on stage to search thru hundreds of files for my needs when I had one dumped it quick after 2 weeks. ...[b][/b]

Thats where you fail, trying to use an ipad as if it was a pc....

Using an ipad requires rethinking... And keep in mind, he got his setup toally midified and controlled..

rethinking? Really?......let me make this as plain as can be....
For My needs on stage performing a tablet of any kind WILL NOT come close to what I can do on a laptop in so many ways period end of story.

Edited by Dnj (03/02/15 02:37 PM)

#400116 - 03/02/15 02:15 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: Dnj
The video in no way shows navigational features while playing live or searching for songs, lyrics, etc, all while playing,
keeping 3 or 4 separate windows open, mp3 songs, backing tracks, lyrics at the same time etc, vs a good laptop!!......
that's what tablet of any kind can't do. If so prove it to me but I highly doubt it,..
The tablet was useless to me on stage & no match for using keys & up/down arrows on stage to search thru hundreds of files for my needs when I had one dumped it quick after 2 weeks. ...[b][/b]

Thats where you fail, trying to use an ipad as if it was a pc....

Using an ipad requires rethinking... And keep in mind, he got his setup toally midified and controlled..

Yep, a bit of rethinking and creativity...fellow SZ', Jim, above, has used both effectively!

These devices are only limited by the narrow-mindedness (or, put more kindly, set-in-their-ways-thinking) of the user.

Ian

let me repeat... rethinking? Really?......let me make this as plain as can be....For My needs on stage performing with a tablet of any kind WILL NOT come close to what I can do on a Laptop in so many ways period end of story.

PS and YES I'm open minded..just sayin'

Edited by Dnj (03/02/15 02:38 PM)

#400117 - 03/02/15 02:29 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You still have to hand it to Jim...that was very creative thinking...and thinking outside the box, no less.

Ian

#400119 - 03/02/15 04:10 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
KORG80 Offline

Looked pretty darn efficient to me and Jim's master/slave setup is pretty amazing. I just got an iPad mini that I've started to use for lyric files. What Jim has shared with us shows that when linked to the onboard software of the keyboard it can me a very capable alternative to a laptop. Like Gary and Donny I would be perhaps more confident with a laptop but I don't really want to lug a somewhat heavy notebook if I can do what I need to do with my iPad Mini. I'll need to look into that APP. Thanks for sharing Jim!

God Bless,
Don

#400120 - 03/02/15 04:16 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: KORG80]
KORG80 Offline

Just searched the Apple Store for UnrealBook and came up blank.

God Bless,
Don

#400122 - 03/02/15 04:35 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: KORG80]
KORG80 Offline

Found it through Google!

#400179 - 03/04/15 12:26 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: KORG80]
Bachus Offline

Here is another one, or actually two, audiomux and midimux allow you to send audio and midi from and to your macbooks DAW ove rthe USB cable making the ipad even more usefull in your home studio...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#400198 - 03/05/15 05:47 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Interesting discussion ... I won't argue that a laptop is easier to type on, and has plenty of great software, possible uses, etc. I own a laptop too. I just chose to use the iPad I already owned, and (as in the note a while back in this thread), I found that with some "prep work", it works very well for the way I use it at gigs.

When I do a solo gig, I use prepared "set lists" to get started, then if the audience (via request or my "judgement" of how they are responding to various songs) wants something "off-set-list", I can call it up in seconds. And the iPad sets up my Tyros too (via Registration links). I went straight from physical music books and lists on pieces of paper, to iPad (I didn't happen to try/use a laptop on stage).

At band gigs, it's about the same, plus the "master/slave" thing I described. It's not perfect - once in a while there is a glitch or something, but that's rare. And even with the "on screen" keyboard, I can call up most any song in my ~1100 or so song index, with just 3-4 characters (If I want to call up "Hotel California", I just do a single tap in the upper left of the screen to bring up the Search field, then I type "cali" - and there it is - tap the song name, it loads the PDF for the song, and sets up my keyboard, I'm ready to play. And the band members see "Hotel California" come up on their iPads.

unrealBook is definitely in the Apple store (app store on the iPad), as I helped my bandmates purchase and set it up etc.).

Hope this is helpful info,
Jim

Edited by jimlaing (03/05/15 05:49 AM)

#400201 - 03/05/15 06:16 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Jim, just curious. How do you use the arranger in a (4pc) band setting? Do you use any of the arranger functions or just use it as you might use a synth or workstation? What is the other instrumentation? Do they all play on every tune? Are they all instrumentalist or are some just singers?

I remember that Diki used an arranger (G70) when he worked in a band setting but for the most part, it's pretty rare. What, in your opinion, is the advantage of using an arranger over a synth/workstation in a band setting?

Are there any other arranger players that work mostly in a band setting? Curious minds want to know.

chas

#400202 - 03/05/15 06:30 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

no biggie if you ain't in a band just dont use the auto styles function...simple,....arrangers can do it all up to a point vs a workstation/synth etc..

if your a reader most ipad/ tablet users use it as a alternative to using a book for charts lyrics, etc, ....imo it's just a big screen phone.

Edited by Dnj (03/05/15 06:33 AM)

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online