SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#400077 - 03/01/15 10:53 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: travlin'easy]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I watched the videos - everything appeared slow and cumbersome, and for the life of me I really didn't see a good application for a live, onstage performer. The dead time between changes was horrendous. Maybe there is something I'm missing. Show me examples of something done live, onstage, with a performer. The videos appeared to be someone sitting in a studio with a video camera trained on what he was doing to create sounds, but nothing along the lines of what an entertainer would do in a live situation. So, enlighten me, show me a real world situations where a performer, or better yet, an entire band could REALLY benefit from having an I-Phone in front of them while playing an instrument. I would really like to see this.

Good luck,

Gary cool

Music Creation, nothing more nothing less, (Not everybody wants to listen to boring and repetitive styles) as to finding the music, it saves carrying a boat load of fake books around, which in the past decades was the only way if you couldn’t play from memory or by ear. (Many people can’t)

As to a netbook then it is just another option, but usually has limited battery life and requires you to plug things in or use the keyboard. (Not forgetting that it is heavier than a Tablet, which a lot of people moan about these days)

In addition whatever you want to do there is probably an app for it, whereas a netbook is way more limited.

Bill

#400078 - 03/01/15 11:15 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill, for every app there are probably three computer programs that will do the same thing and more. My netbook weighs 1.2 pounds, and I have it Velcro'd to my console. The only connection is a USB/host connection, which takes less than a second to connect. Once it's connected, the PC recognizes the keyboard automatically and it's ready to perform a multitude of tasks via that single connection.

Stay warm over there,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#400079 - 03/01/15 11:21 AM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Bachus, the part about the Chord Sequencer gets my attention. I wonder if similar apps are available for Android? I have an Ipad 1, but the Android is more up to date.
The Chord Sequencer on Korg PA900 is good, but you can't save the sequences!

#400081 - 03/01/15 12:04 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Bachus, the part about the Chord Sequencer gets my attention. I wonder if similar apps are available for Android? I have an Ipad 1, but the Android is more up to date.
The Chord Sequencer on Korg PA900 is good, but you can't save the sequences!

Any sequencer that accepts midi calls will do, in my case i am using ableton live on my Macbook.... I only use the ipad for the interface, which is an app called TouchOSC which also is available in android...

On the ipad you could also make it work with a random sequencer and the midibridge app witouth any need for a PC , however i dont think that app is available on android..

I am currently using my ipad set next to the screen of My Tyros, using it mostly for the touch interface, since i moved from my windows based daw with touchscreen to my new macbook my ipad is mostly making up for the fact that my macbook does not have a touchscreen. But my recent research got me to believe that the ipad can function as much more then just the touchinterface..

Edited by Bachus (03/01/15 12:06 PM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#400082 - 03/01/15 12:11 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Maybe I can find a way to do it from Laptop. Should be plenty of programs out there. I just never thought of it before.

#400083 - 03/01/15 12:15 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
Bachus Offline

Here an OMB guitar player, using An ipad as a looper live in his performance... Who needs an arranger if he has a guitar a good voice and an ipad..

#400085 - 03/01/15 02:52 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I bought an iPad Air..mostly to do facetime with our kids...all of whom have some sort of Apple product.

Face Time works great but then so does Skype. Xbox also has a video interface...really cool because you can see the entire room and the grandkids can show you their moves...as Kinnect shows you the room they are in.

O.K. Music wise.

Don't think the iPad is going to be of much use to us musically. Great technology..can find songs and chords quickly...problem is the viewing size.

My wife took one look at the size of the screen of the iPad and asked: "How am I going to read this tiny screen?"

We'll keep the iPad for face time. Doesn't work as well as the Xbox program for that...but much more mobile.

smile

#400090 - 03/01/15 07:10 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
[quote=travlin'easy The band members all have I-pads and Iphones, and they are mounted on flimsy music stands in front of the player/performer. The band leader says "OK, we're going to play an often requested song by The Eagles. Hotel California." At that point the band members are all scrolling, looking at tiny print, trying to find Hotel California. Those flimsy stands are rocking back and forth as the players try to tap those touch screens and hit the correct area, which is damned near impossible from what I saw.
All the best,
Gary cool [/quote]
This certainly is not the fault of the technology, but of the players ... why they would not have everything in alpha order or in alpha order by artist is beyond me ...

#400091 - 03/01/15 07:10 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
I just can't imagine a professional entertainer standing in front of an audience scrolling through an iphone looking for a song for five minutes.....or even two minutes.
If you don't know the tune well enough to fake it, 'fess up and move on.
chas

Many years ago I was in a NYC club listening to the Phil Woods Quartet ... At the time he had an album out with the Janis Ian tune "At Seventeen" that had gotten a fair amount of play on the jazz station I listened to. My wife and I were sitting at a table right in front of the stage and from time to time Phil would 'chat' a bit with the people in the front ... during one of thos 'chats' I asked him if they would play "At Seventeen" ... he replied "I'm sorry, but it's not in tonight's book" ... now these 4 guys probably could have played it cold and done a damn good job of it, but because it wasn't what they had rehearsed, Phil wasn't playing it ...

#400093 - 03/01/15 09:46 PM Re: What can an ipad do for you? [Re: tony mads usa]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Originally Posted By: cgiles
I just can't imagine a professional entertainer standing in front of an audience scrolling through an iphone looking for a song for five minutes.....or even two minutes.
If you don't know the tune well enough to fake it, 'fess up and move on.
chas

Many years ago I was in a NYC club listening to the Phil Woods Quartet ... At the time he had an album out with the Janis Ian tune "At Seventeen" that had gotten a fair amount of play on the jazz station I listened to. My wife and I were sitting at a table right in front of the stage and from time to time Phil would 'chat' a bit with the people in the front ... during one of thos 'chats' I asked him if they would play "At Seventeen" ... he replied "I'm sorry, but it's not in tonight's book" ... now these 4 guys probably could have played it cold and done a damn good job of it, but because it wasn't what they had rehearsed, Phil wasn't playing it ...

This however depends very much on the setting, it will not be appreciated in all settings. Tough it is very professional and wise.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online