SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#374825 - 11/11/13 12:35 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Diki,

I haven't seen a BK-9 in the flesh...local store isn't planning on bringing one in...even up on the mainland there is no such animal as yet at least.

I hope it doesn't become another Yeti in the stores here like the G-70...well, I did have a chance to play the G-70 for a few weeks several years ago.

Very nice...that's why I thought the BK-9 could benefit from it's action...it was pretty darn good...I can see why you and Fran like it.

The G-70's Touchscreen wasn't my cup of tea, but I probably could get used to it...same as the pitch bend/mod paddle (or lever) a bit similar to what was on the Jupiter 8 I owned at the time.

But, thankfully my Tyros4 and the new Tyros5 don't use either.

And, even more thankfully, the OP, Hal was able to make a decision regarding the Tyros5.

Ian

#374829 - 11/11/13 12:42 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I guess I will have to resign myself to having a second class action, merely as good as the T4's... LOL

For all the fuss made about aftertouch, I find I hardly ever use it. I find that programming a delayed vibrato into the voice itself works well, and then I don't have the accidental triggering of it by generally strong playing (my LH is basically as strong as my RH). Roland's lost the ability to modulate LFO speed by aftertouch with the G1000, and since then, I have made little use of it.

So, other than aftertouch, I ALREADY have an action easily the equal of the T4's, only at $2500 less. Not too shabby.

#374843 - 11/11/13 01:08 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki

For all the fuss made about aftertouch, I find I hardly ever use it. I find that programming a delayed vibrato into the voice itself works well, and then I don't have the accidental triggering of it by generally strong playing (my LH is basically as strong as my RH).

I'm glad the BK-9's action suits you, but until it gets aftertouch, it's still can ONLY be a reasonably nice MOTL action.

And, please no lame excuses about no aftertouch...you have to say that because you don't have it on the BK-9...if it had aftertouch you'd be hooting about it like an old owl.

You made a HUGE fuss about it being on your G-70, and now, all of a sudden it's not important?

Gimme a break.

Then again, if they did decide to put aftertouch on the BK-9's cheaper action, it probably would get triggered accidentally.

Never have that problem with the luxurious and highly responsive FSX...a real pleasure to play, it is.

Not too shabby at all.

Ian

#374845 - 11/11/13 01:18 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
Diki Offline

Find a quote, Ian... I have NEVER made a big deal of aftertouch (than to publicly berate Roland for dropping the advanced aftertouch options they used to have on the G1000).

Wait until you actually get to play a BK-9 before you try to make a comparison, Ian. Short of the aftertouch, it is at LEAST as good and responsive. NO, I haven't played a T5. But I HAVE played the latest Motif's which have the identical action. And there isn't a jot of difference in the FEEL of the action.

Personally, having to pay $2500 more than a Roland owner to get an action only as good (feeling) would tick me off, not have me crowing about it.

But keep it up, Ian. I don't get as easy a laugh from most people, who will at least let reality creep in to their posts eventually.

Enjoy your 'superior' arranger, Ian. You paid a good $2500 extra to feel that way...

#374853 - 11/11/13 01:55 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
ianmcnll Offline

Don't be silly, Diki...you know you said it, and so do I.

But, if you can get along without that feature, especially after hooting about so much on the G-70, that's wonderful.

Same goes for the lack of the touchscreen, which was a feature on the G-70 you harped about incessantly at every opportunity.

So, if you're satisfied with an instrument missing those two formerly important features...knock yourself out!

Ian

#374856 - 11/11/13 02:05 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have a question - If you are not contemplating the purchase of a particular arranger keyboard, why continue to try to compare one to another? For some strange reason, this just doesn't seem to make sense to me at all. Who in the Hell cares?

Thanks God it's five O'clock somewhere,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#374858 - 11/11/13 02:19 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I have a question - If you are not contemplating the purchase of a particular arranger keyboard, why continue to try to compare one to another? For some strange reason, this just doesn't seem to make sense to me at all. Who in the Hell cares?

Thanks God it's five O'clock somewhere,

Gary cool

That's right, Gary, I feel the same way right now.

Who the Hell cares?

It's 6:15 here...just finished supper.

Ian

#374886 - 11/11/13 04:52 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
Diki Offline

Perhaps I'm stupid, but I kind of post about the shortcomings in the forlorn hope that perhaps Yamaha owners MIGHT see the benefit of the missing features, and perhaps join in...

I know, I know, it's a pretty slim hope, given how backwards you chaps bend to avoid any mention of something that could be improved, but what does one do? Capitulate to this absurdity?

And Ian... try harder. MUCH harder. I have never posted about how important aftertouch is. After all, I don't use it. Why would I? I kind of expect it on the TOTL, and don't on the MOTL. So my current situation is nothing remarkable at all. Aging may have affected your memory, it hasn't mine.

I think, if you BOTHERED to look backwards (but then again, why bother when simply making something up helps your argument better? LOL), the only time you'll see me mention it at all is to lament the better options on the G1000 which turned it into something useful. Don't make something up. Find it or remain silent.

#374890 - 11/11/13 05:52 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Perhaps I'm stupid, but I kind of post about the shortcomings in the forlorn hope that perhaps Yamaha owners MIGHT see the benefit of the missing features, and perhaps join in...

I know, I know, it's a pretty slim hope, given how backwards you chaps bend to avoid any mention of something that could be improved, but what does one do? Capitulate to this absurdity?

If you are meeting with that much resistance, then isn't it obvious that it isn't working?

So, I'm guessing that you feel that if something isn't working all you need is a bigger hammer?

Yeah, that'll fix it.

Capitulation may be your best option, because the bigger hammer method is failing miserably.

On the positive side, I suppose, your "unique" posting style has probably sold more instruments for Yamaha than it has diverted to your favorite brand.

I don't work for the company anymore, so I really don't care about sales, but I suspect there are some who look in on this forum that would probably owe you some thanks for moving their product, if it hadn't been totally unintentional on your part.

So, it would be unfair to them if I suggested you remain silent.

So, to use a Cape Breton expression, " Givit to 'er by'e!

Ian

#374979 - 11/12/13 11:58 AM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
Diki Offline

My hammer isn't really very large... way smaller than the resistance to my using it.

I am still perplexed as to why you would NOT want audio on the multipads to start in sync and be able to loop. Before you get all bent out of shape over someone with perhaps the foresight (or the experience) to see how crippled the feature is, perhaps you might like to explain why the Tyros5 and S950 ought NOT to be able to do this simple task?

And there's only one person here shilling for a manufacturer. TBH, the fewer people join me in what I chose to play, the better! All I am interested in is improving the breed across the board. The more manufacturers implement decent design, the closer the competition becomes, the harder they work to innovate. And that benefits us ALL.

Well, with the exception of YOU, Ian..! I guess it must be confusing how Yamaha mysteriously find things to improve in an instrument you always insist is perfect and needs nothing, and anyone suggesting improvement MUST be trying to promote the brand they use...

How about, if you don't really CARE about whether something gets improved on a Yamaha arranger, you just keep out of the discussion?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online