SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#374427 - 11/07/13 02:17 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Diki]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Diki
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

It was initially designed specifically for the Tyros2's new SA Voices, although the Combo Division, at that time, also wanted (and got) it for their Motif line.

That's the line got me curious, Ian... you said it, not me.

What about the SA voices NEEDED a better action?

Nothing wrong with being curious, Diki.

Let's just say both combo and arranger divisions used similar forms of articulation so sharing the same keybed was a natural.

As I said above, I have no idea why it remains exclusive on TOTL (for synths as well) only, other than to say it must have to with cost, but it does makes perfect sense for the top line instruments to have the best action available.

Look at it from your perspective....what prevented Roland from putting the keyboard action from the G-70 into the BK-9?

The action was already fully developed and proved, R&D was probably already covered, but yet, they didn't use the best they had in the BK-9, which is now their top arranger, which features many SuperNatural sounds that would definitely benefit from a higher quality action with aftertouch.

I'm not a product developer, not even of the armchair variety, but I would hazard a guess and say the two situations would be related to cost and profit.

Ian

#374429 - 11/07/13 02:39 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
the "cheap" keybed on the PSR line cant be a cost saving exercise because even the cheap MOX has a decent keybed. its not the exact same as the FSX n the Tyros/Motif Line but its still far better than the PSR keybed.

And... the MOX is a CHEAPER keyboard to buy brand new than a PSR S950.. go figure???

#374433 - 11/07/13 03:22 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
ianmcnll Offline

More importantly, I hope the OP has found something in this thread to help him decide what TOTL arranger to get.

As far as trying to analyze how and why these companies do things the way they do, we can only guess, but I suspect "profit" is involved somewhere along the line.

Ian

#374436 - 11/07/13 03:51 PM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It's not that SA voices need a different action, it's just a different playing technique that is required to make them do those special things they were designed for. You can find this information by merely pressing the information button for those specific voices.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#374470 - 11/08/13 08:20 AM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: ianmcnll]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Thanks Gary and Ian. In answer to your question, I just now pre-ordered the Tyros 5 76 version. I've been putting off an arranger purchase for over 3 years, always putting it off waiting for the next model of Yammy, Korg, Audya, Roland to come out, and then ending up with no arranger cause I couldn't make up my mind for sure. I hope I'll be happy with the new Tyros. By the way, what does OP stand for? I expect to check out this forum more often now. Thanks, Hal

#374472 - 11/08/13 08:32 AM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Hal2001
By the way, what does OP stand for?

original poster

Edited by Dnj (11/08/13 08:35 AM)

#374475 - 11/08/13 08:34 AM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
ianmcnll Offline

Hal,

"OP" stands for Original Poster..."you" in this case.

It's always a bit of a dilemma when trying to decide just when exactly to take the plunge, always a bit nervous the next model will blow away the one we just bought.

Thankfully, Yamaha's carefully planned steps (some call them baby steps...how cute!) from one model to the next aren't so severe to make the last model suddenly out of date.

I have a Tyros4, and despite the great new features on the Tyros5, I don't feel the need to upgrade...maybe when the Tyros6 or Tyros7 rolls around.

Congrats on your choice...time will pass very slowly from now on...ha ha!

Ian

#374476 - 11/08/13 08:36 AM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Hal,

"OP" stands for Original Poster..."you" in this case.

It's always a bit of a dilemma when trying to decide just when exactly to take the plunge, always a bit nervous the next model will blow away the one we just bought.

Thankfully, Yamaha's carefully planned steps (some call them baby steps...how cute!) from one model to the next aren't so severe to make the last model suddenly out of date.

I have a Tyros4, and despite the great new features on the Tyros5, I don't feel the need to upgrade...maybe when the Tyros6 or Tyros7 rolls around.

Congrats on your choice...time will pass very slowly from now on...ha ha!

Ian

Ian I think you should wait till the T5 is released and demoed before you decide,....you might switch wink ........wait and see. cool2

Edited by Dnj (11/08/13 08:37 AM)

#374478 - 11/08/13 08:42 AM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: Hal2001]
ianmcnll Offline

Nope, no switching, Donny...the Tyros4 will do me for quite a long time. I'm still in the "honeymoon stage" with it.

Ian

#374480 - 11/08/13 08:49 AM Re: Tyros keys - Advantages & Disadvantages vs others [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Nope, no switching, Donny...the Tyros4 will do me for quite a long time. I'm still in the "honeymoon stage" with it.

Ian

we'll see.......... rotfl

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online