SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#374885 - 11/11/13 04:48 PM g70 ''...vs tyros 5/ 76 thoughts?
Dnj Offline

Sound wise is it that much different?
We know it weighs more. wink

#374929 - 11/12/13 06:58 AM Re: g70 ''...vs tyros 5/ 76 thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I would have to sell my car AND the G-70 and still be short on the cash to buy a T5!.
But i would buy a 76 if I had the money, i don't gig and to paraphrase, once you go 76 you never go back.

#374935 - 11/12/13 08:08 AM Re: g70 ''...vs tyros 5/ 76 thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Trident I went 76 many times and always went back, ...lol....
all Im saying is that you can achieve great music on an older G70 arranger no doubt, ... many players wouldn't dream of switching to a T5 from a G70 which proves how loved it still is,.....to be honest both are fantastic arranger KB's so I guess it's all in the preference and player comfort & ability.

#374980 - 11/12/13 12:06 PM Re: g70 ''...vs tyros 5/ 76 thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Now, maybe I'm just a bit paranoid... but I'm kinda wondering, after Donny's gushing cheerleading for a product he hasn't even heard, what exactly is his agenda in asking this question..?

Now, perhaps he ISN'T just trying to stir things up for his personal amusement. There's perhaps a very slim chance he actually cares...

NOT!

Thing is, Donny used to have a G70 for a while (or has played one extensively, I forget which). He is the very person who ought to be able to answer his own question. But it's very telling that he makes no effort to have any opinion. Just a desire to ask the question... Suspicious? You be the judge.

In fairness, if you feel the need to stir up controversy trying to compare an arranger barely out with one released in 2005, feel free, but don't think we don't know WHY you are asking it..!

#374988 - 11/12/13 12:30 PM Re: g70 ''...vs tyros 5/ 76 thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Sound wise is it that much different?
We know it weighs more. wink

Not really fair, Donny.

It's like comparing an old coal furnace (G-70) with a new oil heater (Tyros5-76).

They both do the same basic thing...they give heat.

I suppose it's what works best for you.

Ian

#375003 - 11/12/13 01:08 PM Re: g70 ''...vs tyros 5/ 76 thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Personally the my G70 sounded more live in a raw kind of way as does Korg Pa3x, Audya, and my old X1/SD-1/SD5/Midjay for that matter, & that's good IMO for a duo or band situation,...if the G70 was smaller and "much lighter" I'd still have it,..
All my Yamaha units Tyros included have a certain CD tight compressed sound which I'm now used to and enjoy playing. They are very easy KBs to operate on stage and have just enough of all the necessities in styles & sounds needed for mostly any gig I do as I make sure to make them sound that way.All the fluff sometimes isn't necessary but good to have when you alone on stage. G70 for me trumps Yamaha in the editing department bar none, I miss the ability to dissect every part of a drum set & its timber & sound or a style and make it your own using makeup tools...or just change the groove on the fly,real drawbars too, and the keybed is gutsy although I prefer a lighter feel (personal thing). Yes its a bit dated, but many features are just timeless in the arranger KB world. T4/T5 out of the box is stunning to say the least only if your a good enough player to execute the voices and play them the way they should be done.
Tyros 5 will be a winner in every sense of the word...maybe having both G70/T5 could be a nice thought.

#375015 - 11/12/13 01:32 PM Re: g70 ''...vs tyros 5/ 76 thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Donny, the BK-9 is the 'smaller, lighter' G70...

The action is easily the equal of a PA3x or T5 but with no aftertouch (you are already used to not having that from the S950), the drums and overall sound is just like the G70, only MUCH better (fatter basses, more drumkits, better percussion).

Pretty much everything you liked other than the touch screen is better, and the iPad app gives you detailed voice and Performance editing well past what Yamaha's can do.

Maybe they are hard to find to listen to, but it strikes me that Roland addressed just about every issue that users of other brands didn't like in the G70, especially the weight, despite still providing a quality action and buttons, etc..

Perhaps, if there was a lot you did like in the G70, now is the time to give this gem a listen? Try out the Chord Sequencer (great for soloing, or getting out front if in arranger mode or playing another instrument - accordion, anyone? LOL), grab a few audio loops of great percussion and jam along with them in sync with the style, marvel at how ballsy and live sounding it is.

An S950 and a BK-9... now that's a pretty potent combination...

#375018 - 11/12/13 01:45 PM Re: g70 ''...vs tyros 5/ 76 thoughts? [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
Donny, the BK-9 is the 'smaller, lighter' G70...

The action is easily the equal of a PA3x or T5 but with no aftertouch (you are already used to not having that from the S950), the drums and overall sound is just like the G70, only MUCH better (fatter basses, more drumkits, better percussion).

Pretty much everything you liked other than the touch screen is better, and the iPad app gives you detailed voice and Performance editing well past what Yamaha's can do.

Maybe they are hard to find to listen to, but it strikes me that Roland addressed just about every issue that users of other brands didn't like in the G70, especially the weight, despite still providing a quality action and buttons, etc..

Perhaps, if there was a lot you did like in the G70, now is the time to give this gem a listen? Try out the Chord Sequencer (great for soloing, or getting out front if in arranger mode or playing another instrument - accordion, anyone? LOL), grab a few audio loops of great percussion and jam along with them in sync with the style, marvel at how ballsy and live sounding it is.

An S950 and a BK-9... now that's a pretty potent combination...

Diki.......as soon as Fran gets his BK-9 I will certainly try it at his studio and give it a good demo.... cool2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online