SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#374846 - 11/11/13 01:23 PM My observation of the Tyros5/BK9
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Keep in mind ...I have not played either model..

My observation is from viewing demos and owning previous modela (Tyros3 and BK5)..

Big plusses for both...76 keys..

Bigggg minuses for both..no touch screen..

VIA demos...Pianos , acoustic and electric..the BK9 wins

Organs..BK9 wins

Guitars...Tyros5 wins..

Why I would consider buying a BK9 before a Tyros5?
It seems like editing is the same as the Tyros3 on the Tyros5..and editing on the BK9 ..the same as the BK5...BK9 wins easily.

Chords automatically show while SMF play on the BK9..unsurpassed by any competition...BK9 wins..

Pricing...no keyboard is worth more than $3,000 to me..I will take an $1,800 BK9 first..

When I play the top of the line keyboards I will know what to do..

#374860 - 11/11/13 02:34 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Fran I am selling my BK 9 if you are interested give me a call. Ron

#374873 - 11/11/13 04:00 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
You make a good point, Fran...we usually appreciate most the sounds, styles, editing methods, and OS we have grown accustomed to...in your case Roland does the job.

Still, I was rather surprised you didn't jump for a BK-9, as the few reviews of it here on SZ seemed to be very positive.

Also, I am surprised it didn't appear to sell all that well, but maybe it's a slow starter like the G-70, which now appears to have more value to some players than it was when new.

I like Yamaha's OS a lot, because, although I like tweaking and editing, I don't want to spend too much time at it and want to be playing and recording instead. It is an easy, intuitive system made even easier by familiarity, as are most OS.

I'll feel a little better about the BK-9's worth when I hear that you have one, as I know you are very fussy with your arrangers, especially Roland, and you don't want gear that you don't make good use of.

Ian

#374874 - 11/11/13 04:03 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Coming from the BK5..I know first hand...I want a touch screen...The edit parameters are in the BK9..I just don't want to deal with the non touch screen approach...Had enough with the BK5..

Same reason I have no interest in the Tyros5..

#374880 - 11/11/13 04:16 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Ian, you've used the Yamaha is so long that of course it is easy and intuitive for you.
However there is a rather steep learning curve. New users are always stumped by both the basics of the Registration system and of its many parameters. For example you can spend an hour setting up a registration and then lose it because you didn't save it twice. First the reg and then the bank as well. Then there are freeze settings in two separate locations. Then there are two, or three on some models, places to edit and save vocal parameters, etc.
My point is, all the systems are easy after you use them for a few years. To me, the easiest to learn and get around is Roland.
Korg is probably the toughest, but ultimately the most complete. The earlier Ketrons were nearly impossible. Technics was great.
Just random thoughts and rambles!
DonM

#374881 - 11/11/13 04:27 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I see what you are saying, Don.

When I worked the music stores as a store employee, I had to learn the OS of every arranger brand we carried, at that time it was Roland and Yamaha. The store down the street from us sold Technics.

The last Roland arranger I worked on in the store (besides the G-70 I babysitted for a friend a few years later, was the G-800, and I remember at the time it was about the same as Yamaha regarding difficulty, and it was a riot going from one brand to the other due to the differences.

That's why I wouldn't use two arrangers, unless they are both of the same brand.

Ian

#374883 - 11/11/13 04:36 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Technics was great.
DonM

Absolutely right Don ... I am ashamed to say it, but I haven't played my kn6000 in months ... BUT, I am certain that when I go back to it, it will be like 'riding a bicycle' because the OS is sooooo easy ...

#374884 - 11/11/13 04:44 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The Technics OS was probably the simplest there was - not much to it. You could pretty much learn the entire OS in a couple nights, just sitting at the keyboard with the instruction manual.

The Roland and Yamaha were about equal, technically. Both had their idiosyncrasies, but generally speaking, the most difficult registration system to learn was Yamaha. That took me close to a week to get it right and become second nature. I thought Korg's OS was about as easy as the Technics, with a few exceptions. Of course, I'm sure they've all changed since my days with those antiquated keyboards.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#374887 - 11/11/13 05:01 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
The Technics OS was probably the simplest there was - not much to it. You could pretty much learn the entire OS in a couple nights, just sitting at the keyboard with the instruction manual.
Cheers,
Gary cool

Gary ... not sure what you meant by 'not much to it', but while I found the technics OS easy to learn, there was/is a LOT you can do with it ...

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
...I thought Korg's OS was about as easy as the Technics, with a few exceptions.
Cheers,
Gary cool

I can't agree with this statement ... maybe 'cause I'm older, and I KNOW I was fully used to the technics, but I didn't find the KORG OS easy at all ... setting panel memories (registrations) for songs on the kn6000 is a lot easier than on the Pa600 ...
Speaking of, I have to get back to setting up styles/STS, etc. for all my Christmas tunes ... see you guys later ...

#374888 - 11/11/13 05:23 PM Re: My observation of the Tyros5/BK9 [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
There was a huge change in os between G800 and G70.
G70 through E80 was a piece of cake!
DonM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online