SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#339364 - 02/11/12 08:57 AM Korg and Korg Equipment
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
As you may know from previous posts I have owned Korg equipment for many years.

My last purchase has been the MicroArranger which I am delighted with it suits my style of playing very well (light fingers)

Just to toot Korgs trumpet for them my previous board was and still is a Pa2x which I bought second hand on eBay. I used the Pa2x for approx 15 months when the LEDs started to blow. I contacted Korg approx 6 months ago to ask if anything could be done. The responce was to send me some UPS labels to return the board and the faulty parts would be replaced FOC.

Unfortunately at the time we were just moving house so I delayed sending the board back for 6 months. Having got my act together I thought Korg may have changed their mind, but no problem, just return the board ASAP and it will be repaired. I have just recieved the Pa2x complete with new circuit boards, no charge.

I feel this sort of service should be applauded.

Sorry to go on but I had a Korg i30 for my first Korg keyboard and during that time I purchased a Korg iH harmoniser. The are a little tricky to set up Midi wise and I must confess I never got to grips with it. However being a glutton for punishment I saw an iH on ebay a few days ago and managed to buy it, this is 1996 technology. It looked just like it had come out of the box. This time having had more experience I managed to set it up with no problems.

My previous vocals posted have been using the harmoniser on the Pa2x and recently with the Harmony M, also from eBay.

Bearing in mind this little box is 16 years old see what you think. Apparently it was manufactured using IVL technology which also developed Digitech equipment. This was recorded withe the Micro. not the Pa2x.

http://www.box.com/s/9030pv9cvsn4nuqagreo

Regards

Col

Edited by Saswick (02/11/12 08:59 AM)

#339378 - 02/11/12 10:26 AM Re: Korg and Korg Equipment [Re: Saswick]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Col. Saswick !

I really enjoyed your KMA & Digitech VH rendition of "If Tomorrow Never Comes".
Fine performance & terrific KORG sound.
I really like that classic "warmer" iH Korg & Digitech sound compared to the harsher (cold?) sound' of current VH offerings.
I regret having sold my old Digitech harmonizer now.

btw: are you still planning to sell your Pa2x and
stick with your KMA as your sole axe now?

Scott smile

#339381 - 02/11/12 10:43 AM Re: Korg and Korg Equipment [Re: Saswick]
Saswick Offline

Hi Scott

Yes I,m defintely going to sell the Pa2x and I am thinking of pairing the Micro up with a Microstation sort of a tiny Pa3x + a Kronos if you will. (that should raise some eyebrows)

I'm really happy with the little biddy keys. I think the Harmony M may also be on the way, good Lord I'm beginning to sound Donny.

Speak to you soon, regards

Col

#339397 - 02/11/12 12:36 PM Re: Korg and Korg Equipment [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Col...this is one of my favorite songs.......good job, music sounds awesome... but again why sing HARMONY thruout the whole song?....Harmony should be tastefully entered in a song at appropriate places to accent the vocals just as background singers would do IMO.

#339400 - 02/11/12 01:23 PM Re: Korg and Korg Equipment [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Col...this is one of my favorite songs.......good job, music sounds awesome... but again why sing HARMONY thruout the whole song?....Harmony should be tastefully entered in a song at appropriate places to accent the vocals just as background singers would do IMO.

While that often is the case it is not always that way. For example Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young sang a number of songs where the main lead vocal was sung in harmony throughout the song. And they are not the only artist that do that.

#339407 - 02/11/12 02:18 PM Re: Korg and Korg Equipment [Re: Nigel]
Saswick Offline

Hi Donny

The harmony was only used in the chorus, the effect used in the verse was voice doubling.

This Korg iH harmoniser has a Harmony Mode and a detune mode(voice doubling)

In Detune there are 3 different Modes:

1 Light detune (2 voices +/- 7%)
2 Heavy detune (2 voices +/- 12%)
3 Light and Heavy combined 4 voices

Needless to say you got No 3 , I always give good value for money.

In Harmony you can have up to 4 voices from the selection below:

2 above 3rd 5th or 7th
2 below 3rd 5th or 7th
Bass tracking (the voice follows the root)
I in unison

I promise I WILL try to do better in future but it is difficult to teach old dogs new tricks (BIG 70 on Monday where did it all go). That reminds me of a new song, well new to me, Old Dogs, Children and Water Melon Wine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm36X3ZapLg

Watch this space.

Regards

Col

Edited by Saswick (02/11/12 02:23 PM)

#339408 - 02/11/12 02:24 PM Re: Korg and Korg Equipment [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Saswick
Hi Donny

The harmony was only used in the chorus, the effect used in the verse was voice doubling.

This Korg iH harmoniser has a Harmony Mode and a detune mode(voice doubling)

In Detune there are 3 different Modes:

1 Light detune (2 voices +/- 7%)
2 Heavy detune (2 voices +/- 12%)
3 Light and Heavy combined 4 voices

Needless to say you got No 3 , I always give good value for money.

In Harmony you can have up to 4 voices from the selection below:

2 above 3rd 5th or 7th
2 below 3rd 5th or 7th
Bass tracking (the voice follows the root)
I in unison

I promise I WILL try to do better in future but it is difficult to teach old dogs new tricks (BIG 70 on Monday where did it all go). That reminds me of a new song, well new to me, Old Dogs, Children and Water Melon Wine.

Watch this space.

Regards

Col

Ok Col....I stand corrected...didn't know what you were using to effect your vocals....I can understand Nigel's post also in certain songs it is VH appropriate also...coming from 25 years on stage with a 7pc show group I am so used to background singers 7 their stylings during a song punching in & out. If I offended anyone I sincerely apologize. Take care..

#339410 - 02/11/12 02:31 PM Re: Korg and Korg Equipment [Re: Saswick]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Col, you have a good voice. Like DNJ, I wanna hear MORE of it and use the effects for, uh, effects! smile
DonM

#339419 - 02/11/12 03:39 PM Re: Korg and Korg Equipment [Re: Saswick]
Saswick Offline

Hi Donny and Don

Donny you haven't offended any one and i didn't intend to sound a bit sharp in my reply. I really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to reply, regardless of what I said about old dogs I am always glad to hear your comments and I really am prepared to accept advice.

The voice most certainly is not what it used to be bearing in mind I started singing in a skiffle group when I was sixteen and have played and sung with a variety of bands ever since, mainly singing harmony and playing Guitar and Bass.

Keyboards and singing the type of songs I am attempting now is relatively new. The excessive use of effects is indicative of a certain lack of confidence.

I think that we all can learn from each other especially from the more experienced amongst us, I only wish more members would post examples of their work.

It took me quite a while before I plucked up courage to post something.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post what I consider to be constructive critisism.

I am prone, like Tony, to pass sarcastic comments at times, please put it down to our British sense of humour

Kind Regards to all

Col

#339433 - 02/11/12 06:33 PM Re: Korg and Korg Equipment [Re: Saswick]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
It's great to know the degree of support Korg has provided... and super nice of you to share the story with us.

Dave Rice

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online