#335771 - 01/10/12 12:11 PM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Excellent work Ian!
DonM

#335773 - 01/10/12 12:15 PM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks kindly, Don, Mikey and Brian...very much appreciated.

Ian

#335777 - 01/10/12 12:40 PM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: ianmcnll]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Thanks Scott and Jez, for the kind words. The sound (and the control over it) is why I'm dedicated to the Yamaha arrangers, although I readily admit that Korg makes an equally impressive (but different) instrument in the newer PA-series. Jez, the S900 was launched way back in 2007, and that particular SA Saxophone sound is still one I use a lot today on the Tyros4...I love the way it decays (fades) on the sustain pedal, and also the way it switches to mono mode automatically. The SA2 JazzSax and SA2 BreathySax are very expressive in their own unique way, especially with scoops and slides available even without using the pitch bend wheel. The SA RockSax is what I now use in place of the non-SA GrowlSax...it has the "growl" at higher velocities with the Mod Wheel moved forward. Scott, hopefully I'll get to try the microArranger during my trip and see how well the sax (and other)sounds work, (I'm also going to try it using a controller with full size keys, if possible) but what I'd really like to get to try would be a PA3X as it uses DNC. Thanks again, guys. Ian

Now that's got me curious. One of the trumpets on my Pa1XPro has a 'tail-up' on some notes. This, of course, is long before DNC came along on Korgs and the effect is, as far as I can discern, totally unpredictable in that I'm never sure when a note is going to do that. I've tried to trigger it with different finger attacks, etc., but it's an elusive little bugger. Don't get me wrong, I do like the effect, but I'd like it even more if I could control when it occurs. Would this be similar to the randomness of the Yamaha sax's scoops and slides you describe?
Cheers, 124.

#335778 - 01/10/12 12:50 PM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: ianmcnll]
124 Offline

Thanks Scott and Jez, for the kind words. The sound (and the control over it) is why I'm dedicated to the Yamaha arrangers, although I readily admit that Korg makes an equally impressive (but different) instrument in the newer PA-series. Jez, the S900 was launched way back in 2007, and that particular SA Saxophone sound is still one I use a lot today on the Tyros4...I love the way it decays (fades) on the sustain pedal, and also the way it switches to mono mode automatically. The SA2 JazzSax and SA2 BreathySax are very expressive in their own unique way, especially with scoops and slides available even without using the pitch bend wheel. The SA RockSax is what I now use in place of the non-SA GrowlSax...it has the "growl" at higher velocities with the Mod Wheel moved forward. Scott, hopefully I'll get to try the microArranger during my trip and see how well the sax (and other)sounds work, (I'm also going to try it using a controller with full size keys, if possible) but what I'd really like to get to try would be a PA3X as it uses DNC. Thanks again, guys. Ian

Now I'm curious. One of the trumpets on my Pa1XPro has a 'tail-up' on some notes. It seems to be completely random as to when it sounds. I've tried to trigger it with different finger attacks, etc., but it's an elusive little bugger. This is, of course, long before DNC was introduced on Korgs. Don't get me wrong, I do like the effect, but I'd like it even more if I could control where it appeared. That said, it has a habit of appearing in the right places anyway, so it's not all bad. So, I'm just wondering if the scoops and slides you mention on your Yamaha's sax behave in the same way.

#335780 - 01/10/12 12:52 PM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can control all the DNC nuances on PA3X via joystick, assignable buttons, or pedal. Also much can be controlled with key pressure or aftertouch.
DonM

#335783 - 01/10/12 01:15 PM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Tony Hughes]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Donny,

In the demo there is a Bolero piece about 2 mins in, what's it called, it's brillant, have you got dots.

Tony

Do you mean "Spanish Eyes"?....last song on the demo

I have removed the Micro Arranger demo from my web site to free up space....please use the you tube link instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYqyFg1p4ZU

Edited by Dnj (01/10/12 01:28 PM)

#335784 - 01/10/12 01:24 PM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: 124]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: 124
Now that's got me curious. One of the trumpets on my Pa1XPro has a 'tail-up' on some notes. This, of course, is long before DNC came along on Korgs and the effect is, as far as I can discern, totally unpredictable in that I'm never sure when a note is going to do that. I've tried to trigger it with different finger attacks, etc., but it's an elusive little bugger. Don't get me wrong, I do like the effect, but I'd like it even more if I could control when it occurs. Would this be similar to the randomness of the Yamaha sax's scoops and slides you describe?
Cheers, 124.

With most of the SA2 Saxophones, a slide is available by holding the note, and while it's being held, play another note a 7th, maj7th, or octave higher and you get the slide...it isn't like the portamento type slide you get when you put a voice in mono...it is almost a glissando...a very fast one, and it sounds exceptionally accurate.

The same effect (on SA2 Sax) can be triggered by using Art.2 Button...and, a smaller pitch bend/slide is triggered by Art.1 Button.

These effects aren't random, but under the player's control.

Is that particular 'tail up' trumpet sound (on your PA1XPro) a monophonic voice?

Ian

The S900/S910 do not have SA2 voices...just SA1...but they are excellent and very expressive.

#335787 - 01/10/12 02:08 PM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: ianmcnll]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hey Ian that was OUTSTANDING!!! smile
Thanks
Larry

Originally Posted By: Nigel
That sax solo cried out for some pitch bending...it would have added a tad more of the "feel" you have described so well.

Hey Ian how about putting up of a demo of your own to show us what you mean? Donny's sounded pretty damned good to me.

I did this one a long time ago during a demonstration of the Audio to USB recorder at one of my clinics.

This is a pretty simple arrangement with mainly SA Sax, SA Concert Guitar, Live!Strings and a Piano/Choir layer...I was also demoing the onboard sequencer.

No editing after recording...just used the onboard Audio to USB, and then loaded the WAV file into my laptop and made an MP3 at 192 Kbps.

I used a factory Bossa Nova style but I edited it quite a bit when showing how to use the onboard Style Creator during said clinic.

I've also made the style available to anyone with an S900/S910 or Tyros2/3/4...not sure how well it will convert in EMC to Korg or Roland format as it has mega voices.

MP3: http://www.4shared.com/file/112020540/80ccf16b/NearnessOfYou1.html

Style: http://www.4shared.com/file/112021327/f4c3d899/BossaGuitrPiano2S093.html

I hope this will suffice Nigel, as I don't have a video camera, and also, since Donny's performance was done at a jam session, it's only appropriate that the above tune also comes from a past SZ jam session... http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/264676/1

Ian

PS...if I remember correctly, I used both the pitch bend wheel and an FC-7 pedal for the sax bends.

#335813 - 01/10/12 10:24 PM Re: My KORG Micro Arranger Demo Pt 1 [Re: Dnj]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Tony Hughes
Donny,

In the demo there is a Bolero piece about 2 mins in, what's it called, it's brillant, have you got dots.

Tony

Do you mean "Spanish Eyes"?....last song on the demo

I have removed the Micro Arranger demo from my web site to free up space....please use the you tube link instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYqyFg1p4ZU

Donny,

Now that does surprise me you don't know your LATIN from your BOLERO two completely different styles miles apart, you did the demo, the Bolero intro starts at 1.35 mins , and all the World knows Spanish Eyes I could play that with my ear plugged up. In fact my wife says if I play it again she will kill me, perhaps I need to play it just one more time. No Donny the most famous Bolero was by Ravel its below. Still if you can come up with the name of the Bolero that would be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4wb11w0ZHQ

Spanish Eyes below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4s__QO9kG0

Regards

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

Page 15 of 18 < 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online