SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#336021 - 01/13/12 12:00 AM Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
What brand and model hands free style vocal headset microphone do people here recommend ?

I plan to use it for my vocals (singing):

1) connecting directly into my Tyros 4 keyboard's 1/4"/XLR mic input jack on the back of the keyboard, or

2) into the 1/4" input on my Alesis NanoVerb, and in turn connected to my microARRANGER via the keyboard's "line input" jack.

Would you recommend:
Wired or wireless?
Condenser or Dynamic?

Is the Crown CM311A still the recommended vocal headset mic to get?
I notice that several members had bought that one but then later sold theirs.

Thanks in advance for sharing your hands-free headset mic experiences, as well as headset mic purchasing advice and recommendations.

Thanks,

Scott smile

#336023 - 01/13/12 12:20 AM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Scott

I just purchased a Shure WH20XLR headset, still in the tryout period, up to now it seems fine, 1st Gig next week, will let you know how it performs live.

Col

#336039 - 01/13/12 06:42 AM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
Scottyee Offline

hi Col, I'm Looking forward to hearing how the Shure WH20XLR sounds and works out for you live on stage.
It certainly is a lot more affordable smile than the Crown CM311A.

My main concern has always been the issue of a headset mic's "fixed proximity" to your mouth,
and the challenge of recreating the trad mic effect of "pulling away" from or coming in close to "kissing" the mic.
Do you lose these effects altogether with a headset mic or are there specific headset mic workaround techiniques to recreate it?
I also assume that headset mics all include a convenient remote mute switch switch for when you need to cough or clear your throat. cry

Scott

#336042 - 01/13/12 07:37 AM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I still use the Crown CM311A, I have three of them, use them nearly every day of the week for years and they still work fantastic.

As for the pull-away effect, most of the folks I see using this technique pull the mic away when they're struggling to hit a high note that is well out of their range. One of the first things I learned from my college vocal instructor was to not sing songs that were out of my range, thus not a problem for me. Now, you can, with vocal control, create that pull away illusion, but it does take a bit of practice and isn't something that instantly happens.

I've tried several headset mics during the past decade, and thus far, nothing has been remotely close to the CM-311A. I've tried two Shure mics, an EV, and three Countryman models, which cost far more than the Crown CM-311A.

I did make some modifications to the Crown in that I spray painted the mic boom and wind screen(s) flesh colored so they would not be as noticeable while performing. The small profile mics, such as the Countryman E6, were nearly invisible, but they were more suited for someone providing a speaking seminar than a singer with a deep, soft voice. And, unless you tuned down the mid and higher EQs the E6 tended to have feedback problems.

Scott, I you wish, I'll be happy to loan you one of my backup Crowns for a couple weeks so you can try before you buy. The mic has become so popular that it rarely goes on sale now and at most places sells for more than $300. When I purchased two of mine they were $199, but that was several years ago.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#336070 - 01/13/12 09:59 AM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: travlin'easy]
Scottyee Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Scott ...I'll be happy to loan you one of my backup Crowns for a couple weeks so you can try before you buy.

hi Gar, smile
Many thanks for that generous offer. I'll keep that in mind,
but I may soon possibly have access to one here locally to try out.
- Scott

#336092 - 01/13/12 01:57 PM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Scott

I have a Sennheiser EW100 G2 with an M3 headset mic that sold for $499 a couple of years ago. This a top of the line system that has served me well. I just bought a Sennheiser G3 system with a handheld.

I am willing to let it go within reason.

Bernie

#336105 - 01/13/12 03:20 PM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
Beakybird Offline

I'm still very happy with the Crown CM311A. I notice that it has gone up in price. Anyway, if you can ever A/B the CM311A with the Shure mic, I'd like to hear your opinion.

#336110 - 01/13/12 04:20 PM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
Hey Scott,
I too have been wondering about the proximity effect and/or excessive volume swings when using a head worn microphone. Could the compression/limiting settings in our Tyros instruments be of any help in this matter?
Thanks,
DVJ

#336112 - 01/13/12 04:28 PM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
There is built-in compression-limited in the Crown. I tried it on a couple of occasions, and it sounds great. I found it a little uncomfortable, and after 50 years of doing it the other way, it was hard to learn a "new trick".
DonM

#336127 - 01/13/12 08:39 PM Re: Seek Nice Sounding Vocal "Headset Mic" [Re: DonM]
Scottyee Offline

Bernie, thanks for the nice offer, but before even considering it I still need to determine if a headset style mic will work for me or not, esp in addressing my mic proximity effect concerns. Like Deaton, I too am interested to know if the compressor/limitor feature on our Yam Tyros keyboard would address this or not, but I generally avoid using it because of the artifacts it might add.

Originally Posted By: DonM
There is built-in compression-limited in the Crown. I tried it on a couple of occasions, and it sounds great. I found it a little uncomfortable, and after 50 years of doing it the other way, it was hard to learn a "new trick".
DonM

Though it's not 50 years yet, attempting to teach this slightly less old dog new mic tricks is something that concerns me too. Don, assuming you're referring to the Crown CM311A, can you elaborate about the uncomfortable feeling when performing with it, or any other headset mic? Does the compression-limitor in the Crown work with or against you in attempting to achieve that 'close up to the mic' vs. pulling away from a trad mic sound? Are you using the Crown headset regularly or have you gone back to your tradition mic? Considering you the senior respected vocalist here, I value your guidance, wisdom, and honesty on this subject. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online