SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 30 of 34 < 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 >
Topic Options
#296056 - 10/23/10 06:31 PM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
Dnj Offline

enough Nigel please get the lock

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-23-2010).]

#296057 - 10/23/10 07:09 PM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Wait till it gets on the 300 post mark.

#296058 - 10/23/10 07:27 PM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
Wait till it gets on the 300 post mark.

Yeah, why not!

Ian

#296059 - 10/23/10 07:31 PM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Spalding,
I am aware of all that. I worked for IBM for 30 years and some of that time was manufacturing engineer at a plant.

All good points, however...you miss the original point. It is profitable, or Korg, Ketron ect. would not be currently doing it.
They would just make a 61.

How did we get on Moti cases? You would simply start with the Tyros (or PSR910) case design, tweek it for the new keybed and make a new mold. Molds are expensive...but we are not talking a multimillion $$ experiment.

Do you and others think a 76 key Tyros would not compete well with the other 76 key arrangers?? Maybe that's the real problem?

If that is the case...then Yamaha should take a good look at the competitions capablilities.

How many 76 key Motifs do you think Yamaha sells as compared to the 61's and 88's??
Not as many for sure...but they MAKE them...OK, do you think they would make them if they lost money? No.

They had to make that mold didn't they?

I have not looked at the detailed design, but it may only be a mold change in the kebed bezel area? That would be very easy to do. The oveall case may be long enough already.

This is not rocket science for a company with Yamahas resourses.

Lee S.

#296060 - 10/23/10 11:06 PM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Tony that is the second time you have attempted to draw a response. Sorry but I don't think there will be one forthcoming.

Thanks Dennis,

I have my answer wrapped up in your silence, that will do for me I won't ask again. You have told me what I expected, you have saved me from a fate worse than Auyda.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#296061 - 10/24/10 12:06 AM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
Thanks Dennis,

I have my answer wrapped up in your silence, that will do for me I won't ask again. You have told me what I expected, you have saved me from a fate worse than Auyda.

You are welcome Tony

But you ARE taking all the wrong inferences from my reluctance to give you an answer.

But it's your choice, and your money so good luck. You just MAY be missing out!!

Dennis

#296062 - 10/24/10 12:31 AM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:

You are welcome Tony

But you ARE taking all the wrong inferences from my reluctance to give you an answer.

But it's your choice, and your money so good luck. You just MAY be missing out!!

Dennis

Dennis,

Lets just leave it that "I'm out"
Secondhand G70 for me and a truss ( Surgical Support).
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#296063 - 10/24/10 12:34 AM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Spalding,
I am aware of all that. I worked for IBM for 30 years and some of that time was manufacturing engineer at a plant.

All good points, however...you miss the original point. It is profitable, or Korg, Ketron ect. would not be currently doing it.
They would just make a 61.

How did we get on Moti cases? You would simply start with the Tyros (or PSR910) case design, tweek it for the new keybed and make a new mold. Molds are expensive...but we are not talking a multimillion $$ experiment.

Do you and others think a 76 key Tyros would not compete well with the other 76 key arrangers?? Maybe that's the real problem?

If that is the case...then Yamaha should take a good look at the competitions capablilities.

How many 76 key Motifs do you think Yamaha sells as compared to the 61's and 88's??
Not as many for sure...but they MAKE them...OK, do you think they would make them if they lost money? No.

They had to make that mold didn't they?

I have not looked at the detailed design, but it may only be a mold change in the kebed bezel area? That would be very easy to do. The oveall case may be long enough already.

This is not rocket science for a company with Yamahas resourses.

Lee S.

No lee i havent. It maybe a profitable market for 2 or 3 companies all fishing in a relatively small pond. But the more companies in that small market, the less profitable that market will appear RELATIVE to other more lucrative markets.

I didnt say there was no profit in it. I am saying that the effort to squeeze out that profit relative to other markets is greater.

For example ,like the old folks who buy a tyros remake each 2 or 3 years with brand new dollars ($4000 a shot) because it has choir voices on it and doo wop samples .

Trying to break into and make a profit from an already marginal area is a high risk business strategy compared to turning over the tyros obver and over again, or marginally improving the XS with the XF.

A

#296064 - 10/24/10 05:31 AM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
No lee i havent. It maybe a profitable market for 2 or 3 companies all fishing in a relatively small pond. But the more companies in that small market, the less profitable that market will appear RELATIVE to other more lucrative markets.

I didnt say there was no profit in it. I am saying that the effort to squeeze out that profit relative to other markets is greater.

For example ,like the old folks who buy a tyros remake each 2 or 3 years with brand new dollars ($4000 a shot) because it has choir voices on it and doo wop samples .

Trying to break into and make a profit from an already marginal area is a high risk business strategy compared to turning over the tyros obver and over again, or marginally improving the XS with the XF.

A

Exactly.

One way that a company could “break in” to a market is making that "break in" a secondary function.

It would be fool hearted for Yamaha to make a TOTL 76 well built synth/workstation arranger that weighs 40LBS, market it as such and say they are competing with the Korg and Roland 76 key arrangers.

Again, the fact that the arranger is 76 keys can not be the selling and marketing point.

Let me give you an example of how this concept works. In Europe, arrangers are somewhat use professionally. Most persons who use arrangers professionally in Europe use either Korg, Roland or Ketron. That market may not be the most lucrative market but it would be worth a manufacturer’s while to get in to it because of brand placement and brand loyalty.
Yamaha do not make arrangers that are for professionals. They make their arrangers for the home players. But, they gradually are including some professional features in their arrangers. Why? because they know that there are persons like King DNJ who see the value in a Yamaha home arranger and would willingly use it professionally.

Now, they are not directly competing nor are they marketing to the professional arranger market, but they are ever so slowly “breaking in” to that market by including some professional features in their home arrangers and some professionals are using them.

So that is why for Yamaha to make a DGX with PSR type features or a PSR with 76 keys would solve the problem that Yamaha has with respect to 76 keys on an arranger.

First off they would and should not build a good 76 key arranger with the build quality like the G70 or PA2X pro nor would They market it as 76 keys.

Sure the specs would show 76 keys but it is marketed and sold as a very good sounding arranger first for the home player. And, who ever wants to use it even if they are not home players are very welcome to do so.

If you can remember the Ipod and how it started off (used by kids to play music for fun) but look at how you have it being used by DJs. And now they develop Ipods while still for the home player, usable to the professional.

------------------
TTG

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 10-24-2010).]

#296065 - 10/24/10 09:31 AM Re: Would You Buy A Tyros 4 with 76 keys?.......
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
great idea, love the concept . Put some built in speakers and i would certainly be a potential customer......

But you mustb agree there is some considerable finacial risk involved to yamaha even if we cant agree if that risk is i the tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or millions. So to make your proposition palatable to yamaha you need to show hem the potential market.

show yamaha how many potential buyers you forsee actually purchasing the instrument,take into account those existing 61 key yamaha customers that might swap to the 76 key product and factor in those that would swap from another competitor product to the yamaha etc . You know , l;ike a proper forecast based upon some form of questionaire or census or whatever you might use to measure the obvious potential that you see. But they have to be based upon some real numbers.

(i would use the word survey but some people get all weirded out by the word).

[This message has been edited by spalding1968 (edited 10-24-2010).]

Page 30 of 34 < 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online