SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#275385 - 11/06/09 03:00 PM The greatest complement of all...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Upon advice from my cardiologist I decided to curtail my performance activity. Yep, after more years than I would like to remember, I'm making a concerted effort to cut back by a significant margin. Consequently, during the past two months I reluctantly told more than a dozen activities directors that this would be my last year with them. They understood, wished me well, and said they hoped they could get me to come back for some special occasions.

Today, I performed at an adult day care center where I have been performing monthly for the past five years. Many of the folks there have been at the facility since I started, but there are always a few new faces.

At the end of my performance I told the AD that the Christmas party would be my last job. She almost broke into tears. She said "I know why you will no longer be here, and I knew this day was coming. But, it doesn't make it any easier." At this point there were tears in her eyes, she kissed me on the cheek and said "I'll let you tell the clients when you come back for the Christmas party."

Several individuals came up while I was packing my equipment and said how they loved my voice, a comment that I've heard many times over the years. What I find amazing is that no one, regardless of how well you play the keyboard, and regardless of which brand you play, has ever come up and said anything about the keyboard playing or sounds--not once. Granted, I'm not the worlds greatest player, but I can do some neat stuff with the keyboard.

Bottom line: For those of us that sing, and sing well, our vocals are the primary instrument--the keyboard is secondary at best. It doesn't seem to make a bit of difference which keyboard you play. No one seems to pay much attention to the keyboard when you're singing.

When I left the building the AD said to me "I won't say goodbye until I really know you're gone. I hope you will change your mind. We all love you." Anyone that plays the nursing home, assisted living, retirement community circuit knows exactly what I'm talking about. The outpouring of love from these individuals is the greatest complement of all.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#275386 - 11/06/09 04:16 PM Re: The greatest complement of all...
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Gary. Nice article, I enjoyed reading. Unknowingly we all make a difference to someone everyday.

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 11-06-2009).]

#275387 - 11/06/09 04:19 PM Re: The greatest complement of all...
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
i went thru the same thing new years eve 2006, due to heart and cancer. i miss playing(sort of) but after close to 3 years of just recovering, i'm very happy living my new life. it's amazing how many people
surround you with love in situations like this. there is no money, fame or standing ovations that can compare to the love. i wish you all the best and enjoy your new life.
dave

#275388 - 11/06/09 04:39 PM Re: The greatest complement of all...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
My Mum used to say to me, "The best thing you can do in life, is look after the old and the very young...the ones in the middle can usually look after themselves, and won't appreciate you as much as the other two."

You are are lucky, Gary, to be blessed with the talent and ability to make people happy with your music, and I'm sure you got it back ten-fold.

Many people go through life, without ever knowing what that feeling is, and, you have had many great years of reaping the rewards.

I've decided to take this winter off, and just enjoy life at a much less hectic pace...and already, I feel terrific, because making the decision was the hardest part.

Thanks for sharing your feelings...I can sure identify with them.

#275389 - 11/06/09 04:52 PM Re: The greatest complement of all...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Gary, I get your drift... and you are spot on, it's true. I, like you, have been flabbergasted by some comments made to me. Sometimes I wonder if they have the right guy but... in the end, when you realize they really are talking about YOU, it certainly helps!

#275390 - 11/06/09 06:18 PM Re: The greatest complement of all...
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary,
What a way to go, it is something you can not buy. No it is not the best voice or the greatest keyboard, it’s the performer who gives the people what they want and it is not always just the music. When a musician plays straight from the heart we can feel it – and when they deal with people in the same way they can feel it. They are part of you and you are part of them. It was never just a job for you Gary, was it?

Gary no trophies, just appreciation – and I appreciate your posts and I appreciate the kind of person that you are, well done.

Stay well, John C.

#275391 - 11/06/09 06:24 PM Re: The greatest complement of all...
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I too realise what you're getting at in your post Gary, and you truly must be a special guy when you perform, but at this time I'd like to point out something you said as well:

Audiences (generally speaking) listen to Vocals first.

Something I'm happy to say I've always realised (despite how dim I can be in most things in life...lol )

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#275392 - 11/06/09 06:44 PM Re: The greatest complement of all...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary, nice to hear such a heart warming story with all the bad news we generally hear on a daily basis.

#275393 - 11/06/09 07:32 PM Re: The greatest complement of all...
zuki Offline

Good story Gary. Some bring joy when the arrive, some when they leave. You brought joy BOTH ways

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#275394 - 11/06/09 08:14 PM Re: The greatest complement of all...
Beakybird Offline

That is a beautiful story, Gary. Just love it!

Well at least you can afford to cut back when your body is telling you. That's great. And at least, since you do love to play, you are cutting back significantly but not completely.

As you get older, it does get a bit tiring reaching down for that keyboard and lifting those speakers.

It's great that you moved so many people! Now you deserve to kick back. What are you going to do with your time?

Beakybird

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online