SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#275414 - 11/06/09 08:29 PM My original songwriting project
Beakybird Offline

In case anyone is wondering whatever happened to my songwriting project (I had been posting some originals here), I haven't been as successful as I would like.

The couple dozen CDs that I sent to publishers were all rejected. I made about 16 submissions to various songwriting contests. I'm still waiting to hear from two contests. The others were all rejections except one.

After getting all of these rejections via email from Sonicbids, I got one email that said a submission was accepted - it was the Michael Pinder's (songwriter for the Moody Blues) Song Wars contest. I had submitted three songs to that contest. I got all excited. After a lot of clicking, I discovered that I was merely a top 5 finalist for one of my songs - below runner up, and I wouldn't be getting a prize beyond a feather in my cap. I got a very nice critique of the song which is called, "All The Give That You Got." www.myspace.com/larrylevin.

I'll have to submit that song to some of the publishers who rejected me for other songs.

But after so many rejections, and all the demands I have to feed my family and spend time with them - and given that this is crunch time, the busiest time of year for an entertainer and also the time to book for next year, I have to take a hiatus.

I'll get back into it next year. Who knows? Maybe I'll win one of the two contests that haven't announced results, but I don't have my hopes up.

Beakybird

#275415 - 11/06/09 08:50 PM Re: My original songwriting project
zuki Offline

I admire you for your energy and endless pursuit. You can never give up if you have the faith and belief in yourself. You are surely a humble guy too and take critique in a positive light.

I have songs I've written over the years that I think have promise. But unlike you, I'm too lazy to finish them or learn the proper techniques to lay them down professionally.

But since you're sort of an inspiration, I just purchased a Zoom R16 and am gutting my office/studio to make it a full blown studio only. I'm going to get originals completed, along with an album my patrons have repeatedly asked for.

Thanks Beaky.....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#275416 - 11/06/09 10:14 PM Re: My original songwriting project
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Hang in there Beakster!
I have a number one hit myself. Of course it's only number one in my car and living room, but . . .
DonM

#275417 - 11/07/09 04:53 AM Re: My original songwriting project
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Hang in there. You're actually doing what I have always threatened to do but was either too lazy or too afraid of rejection. I really do admire your perseverance. Good luck. Remember, it usually only takes one to get you launched.

chas

#275418 - 11/07/09 05:48 AM Re: My original songwriting project
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hey man...you have lots of persistance, and that's a prerequisite for success.

I did quite a bit of studio work some years ago, and the songwriters that "made it", always had the same drive that you do.

Good luck, Larry.

I'll share this grook with you...

The road to Success?
Well, it's plain and simple to express:

Err
and err
and err again

but less
and less
and less.

'The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.' Hunter S. Thompson

#275419 - 11/07/09 07:36 AM Re: My original songwriting project
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Hang in there Larry. I can only echo the statements of others here. As Chas said, it only takes one song to put you over the top.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#275420 - 11/07/09 10:51 AM Re: My original songwriting project
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Don't be discouraged, BB. The state of today's music industry is sheer chaos and the competition is significantly more than it was even ten years ago. Few publishers have adequately staffed A&R booths... many are college students working as interns. Most are afraid to recommend a song for fear their "leader" will not be pleased with their choices. Your best bet will be to find newer performers looking for new material or with producers working on new projects. Just be sure your genre matches what they need. Good luck.

Dave Rice
http://www.ShowCaseYourMusic.com/DaveRice

#275421 - 11/07/09 01:10 PM Re: My original songwriting project
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Hey, man, you're doing what you want to do; what a lot of us would like to do if whe had the balls.

That's admirable!

Russ

#275422 - 11/07/09 01:29 PM Re: My original songwriting project
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hi Larry,

Could you share links or info on where you have been sending your songs ?

Have you spent money to have the songs evaluated etc.. ?

Or email me at dan.oneil@yahoo.com

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 11-07-2009).]

#275423 - 11/07/09 03:00 PM Re: My original songwriting project
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I don't know about the so called publishers you shopped your songs to, but I like your songs a lot and think they sound far better than some of the current top charting hits.

Irregardless of commercial success, keep writing & creating your good music. It's enjoyed & appreciated by many. Good luck.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online