Upon advice from my cardiologist I decided to curtail my performance activity. Yep, after more years than I would like to remember, I'm making a concerted effort to cut back by a significant margin. Consequently, during the past two months I reluctantly told more than a dozen activities directors that this would be my last year with them. They understood, wished me well, and said they hoped they could get me to come back for some special occasions.

Today, I performed at an adult day care center where I have been performing monthly for the past five years. Many of the folks there have been at the facility since I started, but there are always a few new faces.

At the end of my performance I told the AD that the Christmas party would be my last job. She almost broke into tears. She said "I know why you will no longer be here, and I knew this day was coming. But, it doesn't make it any easier." At this point there were tears in her eyes, she kissed me on the cheek and said "I'll let you tell the clients when you come back for the Christmas party."

Several individuals came up while I was packing my equipment and said how they loved my voice, a comment that I've heard many times over the years. What I find amazing is that no one, regardless of how well you play the keyboard, and regardless of which brand you play, has ever come up and said anything about the keyboard playing or sounds--not once. Granted, I'm not the worlds greatest player, but I can do some neat stuff with the keyboard.

Bottom line: For those of us that sing, and sing well, our vocals are the primary instrument--the keyboard is secondary at best. It doesn't seem to make a bit of difference which keyboard you play. No one seems to pay much attention to the keyboard when you're singing.

When I left the building the AD said to me "I won't say goodbye until I really know you're gone. I hope you will change your mind. We all love you." Anyone that plays the nursing home, assisted living, retirement community circuit knows exactly what I'm talking about. The outpouring of love from these individuals is the greatest complement of all.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)