SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >
Topic Options
#268975 - 08/11/09 11:09 PM Re: To all international Synthzoners
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I would like to learn Spanish because there will soon be as many Mexicans in the US as there are English. It would be fun to understand what they are saying about us in the Mexican Restaurants. I LOVE Tex-Mex food. It would be neat to order in Spanish.
I must say, most of them learn English pretty quickly.
I guess one way to learn would be to call almost any large company and press 2 for Espanol instead of 1 for English. Then you would have to learn before you could buy stuff or get help over the phone. By the way, I know that's silly.
I don't consider myself arrogant, just old and lazy. I'm glad my boys took several years of Spanish in school.
I'm jealous of multi-linqual people, but I guess not jealous enough for this old dog to learn new tricks.
Several members of my wife's family speak French (Cajun French) because they grew up hearing it. I used to know quite a bit of Native American (Osage) language which I learned from friends and relatives in Oklahoma, where I was raised. One of my Great Grandmothers was full-blood Osage. However as with many oppressed races, using her native tongue was discouraged and even ridiculed. I only remember the cuss words now. I can curse you in Osage and you won't know it!
It's too bad that not many of us were taught the languages of our ancestors. Only a few of us are truly from America. But few of the Americans I know of German or Italian ancestry still speak those languages after a couple of generations.
I'll bet back during the time of slavery that the Africans brought to the US had plenty to say to each other in their native language about their situation. I'm sure they were probably beaten if they were heard using their own language though. Sorry for the rambling, but this thread is truly interesting and actually inspiring to me.
Thanks Chas!
DonM

#268976 - 08/11/09 11:55 PM Re: To all international Synthzoners
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by FAEbGBD:
I'm still waiting for an equally strong list of reasons to learn another language. All I'm hearing is it's arrogant not to.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have looked back over this thread and the only mention of the word 'arrogant' seems to have come from yourself.......
I don't believe that any of us even alluded to arrogance.
As for looking for "an equally strong list of reasons.." does it really have to be only 'strong' before being considered..?surely, the whole is normally a sum of the components?..like respecting your fellow men and their language.

#268977 - 08/12/09 12:15 AM Re: To all international Synthzoners
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think, though, chas, you underestimate the effectiveness of NEED when it comes to being multilingual. In the US, we have essentially an entire CONTINENT (or large portion of it, anyway) that speaks the one language. Most other parts of the world have neighboring countries closer than you to me that have entirely different languages. Those people NEED to talk to each other...

If and when the States have sufficient close neighbors with foreign languages (Spanish seems the first and most likely), you will see more emphasis placed on it. Until then, we can afford our 'arrogance', or as I prefer it, lack of NEED...

#268978 - 08/12/09 12:18 AM Re: To all international Synthzoners
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by eddiefromrotherham:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I have looked back over this thread and the only mention of the word 'arrogant' seems to have come from yourself.......
I don't believe that any of us even alluded to arrogance.

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Are we so arrogant that we don't see a need to learn a foreign language or are we simply too dumb.

Perhaps you missed this? In the initial post?

#268979 - 08/12/09 02:58 AM Re: To all international Synthzoners
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I think, though, chas, you underestimate the effectiveness of NEED when it comes to being multilingual. In the US, we have essentially an entire CONTINENT (or large portion of it, anyway) that speaks the one language. Most other parts of the world have neighboring countries closer than you to me that have entirely different languages. Those people NEED to talk to each other...

If and when the States have sufficient close neighbors with foreign languages (Spanish seems the first and most likely), you will see more emphasis placed on it. Until then, we can afford our 'arrogance', or as I prefer it, lack of NEED...

Ummm, suprise, suprise. Gosh Diki, I was sure you'd come out on the side of intellectual accomplishment for it's own sake. Yes, I do understand the importance of NEED in this situation but I'm not sure that that is the only motivation. Many of our multilingual responders alluded to their introduction to (non-native) languages early in their educational journey. Young kids don't NEED to learn a new language; it just seems like more of a natural part of the educational process in other (non-English speaking) countries. I think DonM articulated the position of most of us very well; too old, too lazy, but secretly wishing we had another language or two under our belts. Ever walk into an IKEA and wonder what practically every other shopping couple was saying to each other? . The thing is; they sure as hell know what WE'RE saying.

Sooooo, is it anti-American to suggest that perhaps this is an area that America (and yes, other English-speaking countries as well - UK, are you listening?) could use some improvement? Is it anti-American to suggest that other languages and cultures might also have value in this world? that the Ten Commandments probably weren't written in English? Oh well, I didn't want this post to turn 'controversial'. Happily, the responses from ALL of our multilingual, international members (who chose to focus on the "how, when, why, where") was quite enlightening.

chas

#268980 - 08/12/09 03:05 AM Re: To all international Synthzoners
cgiles Offline

..sorry, double post.

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 08-12-2009).]

#268981 - 08/12/09 04:31 AM Re: To all international Synthzoners
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
A couple of reasons for my need to learn a foreign language:

-keep my independency (no need to constantly asking for assistance)

-dealing with the locals and not with expats as most expats do (if I want to meet Americans only I'd better go to the US)

-passport to becoming culturally literate

-to eat where locals and not expats or tourists eat, in other words, eat genuine local cuisine

-my wife's family respects me for learning their language and liking the food (they would respect me if I didn't but we wouldn't be able to talk with each other)

-to become more aware of local customs, beliefs, arts, etc.

-to adapt to their life style and not them to mine

-to show my wife and her family respect that I am willing to learn their language - my wife and I had to communicate in English which isn't our first language - but in many cases people refuse to study the language of their spouse - very common in Taiwan where the husband will only speak Chinese or Taiwanese to his Vietnamese wife but refuses to learn hers - she has to cook Taiwanese food and not Vietnamese - again, by learning to speak Lao I am showing my wife and Lao people respect

-to communicate with locals when I am in the countryside where it's not as common to find English-speaking people

-to watch the local news or listen to local radio broadcasts

-to read local literature/newspapers/magazines

-to do crossword puzzles or other wordgames

-to take non-language classes such as martial arts, art, cooking, etc.

-to go shopping and being able to ask what I need in case I don't find it

-to ask the way in case I get lost

-to ask which bus/train to take to my destination

-listen to what locals talk about

-to better understand my belief

-and many, many more

I studied English because it was on the curriculum but I didn't study it just because it's the international language. In fact, I was more interested in other languages (taken and still taking care of that now). Neither did I just study it to pass exams. There's absolutely no sense in that. But I did study it to communicate with English speaking people, such as Americans, Britons, Irish, Australians, etc. In fact, I always learn basic conversation in the language of the country of my destinationt. So if I were to visit Russia I'd take a language course in Russian.

So do those "Learn a Language in 30 Days" courses work? Yes, they do. In fact, you can finish such course in about a week if you're serious about it. These courses teach you the basics which is how diplomats learn a foreign language. You learn the basics and then build it up when you're in-country. You're given the foundation and you build it up at your own pace or leisure.

Some languages are harder to master but the only obstacle in learning a language is yourself. If you're interested you pick it up real fast, if you're not, forget about it.

But, I'd be very interested in knowing the benefits of NOT having to learn/or speaking a foreign language. And, please, don't refer to neighboring countries again. That's about the lamest excuse ever. Most Americans and Canadians would be speaking Spanish if it did matter.

(Now back into my hibernation cave.)

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 08-19-2010).]

#268982 - 08/12/09 05:52 AM Re: To all international Synthzoners
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I almost forgot, I speak Canadian very well.
DonM

#268983 - 08/12/09 05:55 AM Re: To all international Synthzoners
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I almost forgot, I speak Canadian very well.
DonM

Oh yeah, let's hear you say "eh".

chas

#268984 - 08/12/09 06:44 AM Re: To all international Synthzoners
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Why would you need to learn another language?

Well if youre not leaving your own country or partaking in any of your countries other cultures, then there is no reason whatsoever.

However if you are going to a foreign country or wish to partake in your countries other cultures, then for no other reason then common courtesy.

Top 30 most spoken languages http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online