SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#269015 - 08/12/09 09:44 PM Re: To all international Synthzoners
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

The idea that anyone visiting us (or even immigrating here) MUST speak English is as ridiculous as the thought that we MUST learn Italian, or French, or Dutch or Spanish, or Swedish, Danish and Norwegian, JUST so we can take a vacation there...

Diki....let me guess. You DON'T live in an area where you have to locate your items yourself in the supermarket because none of the help speaks English. Ditto for seeking service in English at many gas stations, car washes, small restaurants, convenience stores or even asking directions on the street.

I lived in Europe for many years. In each country I lived in I made every effort not to be a burden on the home folks...and I studied my Berlitz books every single day until I acquired moderate conversational skills. It's called being considerate to your fellow man! Foreign folk who insist on speaking their own language here should learn to be as considerate to us.

Lucky

#269016 - 08/12/09 10:44 PM Re: To all international Synthzoners
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Guys,
have a question.
When you speak a number of languages, what language do you actually THINK in.
For me it's English. Grew up in an English speaking country, even though we spoke a certain amount of German at home, mainly because my grandmother wasn't good at speaking English.

best wishes
Rikki

I always think in the language I am speaking, Rikki. This is something I've trained myself to do from the very onset in order not to get confused with grammar, vocabulary and idioms. It also makes you a more fluent speaker as your mind is not constantly translating. A major mistake most language learners make, and sadly educators as well, is to have beginning students translate vocabulary, phrases, and sentences. This often leads to students getting stuck when hearing or reading expressions as they tend to translate word by word. That's why it's so important to learn and use as many expressions as possible. Thus having someone tell you that "there's a snake in the grass" won't make you jump up like a jack-in-a-box as you know that he's referring to a treacherous person. Only advanced learners should do translations as they've learned idioms and other subleties of the language.

As a matter or fact, even my dreams tend to be multi-lingual. Then again, I use at least three to four languages (Chinese, English, Lao and Thai) a day so I don't think it's unique.

Taike

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 08-12-2009).]

#269017 - 08/12/09 11:08 PM Re: To all international Synthzoners
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Saint:
Well said, Taike.
You could not have made it any clearer.
You can play golf with me anytime.
Oh!! Roger, I believe the first one was a moral victory for us, don't you agree?
Ray

Be careful now, Ray. My friend once took me to play golf and it was the biggest mistake he'd ever made in his life. You see, I was, and still am, a complete stranger to the game. Well, it certainly wasn't my mistake as I'd warned him not to stand in my line of fire. How I managed to hit the ball backwards, straight into his head, is beyond my comprehension. Suffice to say that I'd blown my changes for a rematch. On the other hand, who'd want to play with someone who spent a lifetime on the first hole and vowed to raze every golf course in the nation out of utter frustration? Can you take the pain?

Taike

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 08-16-2009).]

#269018 - 08/12/09 11:09 PM Re: To all international Synthzoners
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Diki....let me guess. You DON'T live in an area where you have to locate your items yourself in the supermarket because none of the help speaks English. Ditto for seeking service in English at many gas stations, car washes, small restaurants, convenience stores or even asking directions on the street.

I lived in Europe for many years. In each country I lived in I made every effort not to be a burden on the home folks...and I studied my Berlitz books every single day until I acquired moderate conversational skills. It's called being considerate to your fellow man! Foreign folk who insist on speaking their own language here should learn to be as considerate to us.

Lucky

My hat off to you, Lucky. That's the spirit!

Taike

#269019 - 08/12/09 11:45 PM Re: To all international Synthzoners
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:

When you speak a number of languages, what language do you actually THINK in.

Well that question is a good one ..
I am always in awe of the interpreters who work at the UN when they LISTEN to the speaker in one language and IMMEDIATELY translate into another !!!!!
That , for me , is absolutely amazing.
P.S. the question about what language are you thinking in reminds me that when I was abroad on business, especially in Germany, I often had the strange feeling that after visiting a customer, I had no idea whether we spoke in German or English!

[This message has been edited by eddiefromrotherham (edited 08-12-2009).]

#269020 - 08/13/09 02:06 AM Re: To all international Synthzoners
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Lucky, if I visit a country that I don't speak the language, I do not demand anyone speaks mine. Should they chose to, that's their choice. Me, I'll get a quick guide/traveler's dictionary/phrase book and somehow muddle through. Perhaps you think learning a foreign language necessary to 'not be a burden' on the natives. Me, I think I can probably muddle through OK without taking years of lessons for the one visit.

Let's be frank here... should you limit your travel to ONLY countries you speak their language (where's the toilet and two beers please don't really count ). Kind of limits your choices, doesn't it?

I don't EXPECT foreigners to speak English... when they do, it's a pleasant surprise, but I have no more right to expect of them than they do of me. A phrase book and some sign language gets us by. But feel free to stay at home until you have learned the language of wherever you want to visit. How many years is that per country? I'd prefer to think of how many countries per year I could visit if I didn't have to...

#269021 - 08/13/09 03:09 AM Re: To all international Synthzoners
Taike Offline

Quote:
Lucky, if I visit a country that I don't speak the language, I do not demand anyone speaks mine. Should they chose to, that's their choice. Me, I'll get a quick guide/traveler's dictionary/phrase book and somehow muddle through. Perhaps you think learning a foreign language necessary to 'not be a burden' on the natives. Me, I think I can probably muddle through OK without taking years of lessons for the one visit.

Let's be frank here... should you limit your travel to ONLY countries you speak their language (where's the toilet and two beers please don't really count ). Kind of limits your choices, doesn't it?

I don't EXPECT foreigners to speak English... when they do, it's a pleasant surprise, but I have no more right to expect of them than they do of me. A phrase book and some sign language gets us by. But feel free to stay at home until you have learned the language of wherever you want to visit. How many years is that per country? I'd prefer to think of how many countries per year I could visit if I didn't have to...

Accelerated language courses work wonders as long as you're willing to spend an hour or more a day for thirty to sixty days (or longer)pracitcing. Diplomats spend about the same amount of time to learn the basics. Once you know the basics the sky's the limit. That'll give you plenty of countries to visit in a year's time. If one only had the time.

Taike

#269022 - 08/13/09 06:09 AM Re: To all international Synthzoners
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Posso ler, escrever e falar portugues
Soy capaz de leer, escribir y hablar en espaol
Je peux lire, crire et parler en franais
Sono in grado di leggere e scrivere in italiano
I can read and write in English despite the small vocabulary
Just a small story.
Last year I received an email from an American engineer, working in Brazil, looking for lessons of music at an arranger.
He required classes in English.
So I replied that we were in Brazil and that lessons should be in Portuguese.
The beginning he resisted but then accepted.
Today a year later we are here making music and are great friends.

#269023 - 08/13/09 12:18 PM Re: To all international Synthzoners
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Taike-good to hear from you. Say hello to my little buddy!

R.

#269024 - 08/13/09 12:32 PM Re: To all international Synthzoners
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Quote:
The idea that anyone visiting us (or even immigrating here) MUST speak English is as ridiculous as the thought that we MUST learn Italian, or French, or Dutch or Spanish, or Swedish, Danish and Norwegian, JUST so we can take a vacation there

Diki....my "spiel" was directed at your "or even immigrating here" comment. Not about short visits to foreign countries.

Lucky

Page 7 of 10 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online