One question. How, when, why, where did you guys learn English? I think it's amazing, incredible, astounding, that we have so many members from around the globe that are able to converse on a conversational level (or higher)in English. I also think it's shameful that Americans are so monolingual in this global community in which we now live. It's no accident that the international language of aviation is English; if it weren't, we'd never find enough commercial pilots to fly international. Almost every foreign leader or head-of-state speaks passable English but when is last time we had a president that spoke anything other than English. Shouldn't we be embarrassed by that. Are we so arrogant that we don't see a need to learn a foreign language or are we simply too dumb. I feel that this situation needs to be addressed by our public school system. I think a reasonable proficiency in at least one other language should have to be demonstrated before graduation from college.

Since most of us are past the age of having school-age kids, perhaps we could stress the importance of this for our grand kids. What do you think?

chas

Yeah, yeah, I know. This belongs at the Bar.