SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >
Topic Options
#172630 - 02/10/04 09:17 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I definitely didn't intend to overlook Nigel. I suppose I only expected, especially since he's SZ chief administrator & our 'main man', that he would not want to miss out on this event, and keep us all 'in line', especially since it's being held as a Synthzone (albeit unofficial) event. I also hope George Kaye might be able to drive (or fly) up from Reseda, and bring a few of his latests arrangers as well.

San Jose has a major international airport so access from all points in the USA and abroad are really convenient, so it would be real cool if others farther afield can make it as well. Keep the responses coming in gang. Scott

#172631 - 02/10/04 09:51 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Can't we make it a little easier on us folks down here in the 'south'? I got an idea but I'm not sure you guys will go for it.

Why don't we meet half way? Where would that be you might ask? Bakersfield! Good ol' Bakersfield. The Country Music capitol on the West Coast. Not only will it essentially equally divide the driving distance between our neighbors up north and those down south but any members driving from the East or Midwest or from Arizona, etc., or if they fly in, Bakersfield has a major airport. You may miss the Salmon and Crab Legs but just think of all the cows you'll get to see out pasturing plus there's sure to be plenty of Denny's restaurants too. And if we get fortunate we may even get to see slick Willy live in concert -(no, not Clinton) . You knooowwwww, Nelson!?!?!

May is out either way. I am planning on being in Houston Texas around that time. Unless my plans change in the mean time.

Come on, wudda ya' say?? Bakersfield or bust??

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-10-2004).]

#172632 - 02/10/04 10:30 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You bet !!! May 22/23 sounds really good to me. I would drive up from Ventura for the get together. The only arranger keyboard I have is a PSR550 and I wouldn't want to bother bringing that so how about I just bring my guitar instead given that there will be plenty of keyboards there already ?

#172633 - 02/10/04 10:31 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
When I hit Bakersfield on the way to Carmel two years ago it was 112 degrees there. When I spent the week around Carmel, Pebble Beach, Pacific grove and Salinas it never got over 73 degrees the rest of that week in the middle of August. I'll drive the extra 100 miles or so.

Bebop I'm retired and cheap. I'll stay at the cheapest Camp groung. All I need is a toilet and shower. Really, I'll spend the money I save on extra reeds! I've gotta sound good. I've been talking jazz too much. I don't want Scott to laugh at me.

#172634 - 02/10/04 10:57 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Guys. I'm really getting psyched up and excited now knowing that Nigel will be coming. I'm feeling a little nervous now though knowing that a REAL bonfide New Orleans jazz player (Boo) will be attending. I'm afraid after going the arranger route, I've forgotten the changes to Lush Life. Guess I'd better get the old Real Book out and start practicing those changes. Boo, hope the arranger's modified rootless jazz voicings will be good enough for you to play your sax over.

This is quickly looking to be an exciting & memorable event. I'm already going to begin counting the days. I hope more people keep responding so we can hit the 15 mark, and hopefully way OVER that mark. Afterall, the clubhouse can hold 100, right Bebop?

Mike, exactly 'where' do you live? I thought it was in/near San Diego.
Southwest Airlines frequently offers terrific cheap deals ($49) from San Diego to San Jose. Just hop on the plane and you can make San Jose in an hour.

I'm afraid I'd only consider meeting in baking hot Bakersfield if you could get Buck Owens to show up and jam with us.

Scott

#172635 - 02/10/04 11:06 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by brickboo:
When I hit Bakersfield on the way to Carmel two years ago it was 112 degrees there. When I spent the week around Carmel, Pebble Beach, Pacific grove and Salinas it never got over 73 degrees the rest of that week in the middle of August. I'll drive the extra 100 miles or so.

I'm retired and cheap. I'll stay at the cheapest Camp ground. All I need is a toilet and shower. .

Boo, the average temperature in Bakersfield during September is "76.8" degrees. In May it's "71" degrees. As a contrast San Jose's average temperature in May is "58.1" degrees. And in September it is "64.5" degrees. A little on the chilly side if you ask me. Plus Bakersfield is noted for having many clear sunny days during May and September whereas San Jose is noted for having many gloomy cloudy days during those months. Also Boo, that's why they have Air Conditioned buildings and hotels. Just in case the weather is a little warmer.

And if your on the cheap why on earth would you want to spend the extra dough driving the extra 100 miles (200 total) anyway?? Hummmmm???

Best regards,
Mike

#172636 - 02/10/04 11:23 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
keybplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Mike, exactly 'where' do you live? I thought it was in/near San Diego.
Southwest Airlines frequently offers terrific cheap deals ($49) from San Diego to San Jose. Just hop on the plane and you can make San Jose in an hour.

I'm afraid I'd only consider meeting in Bakersfield if you could get Buck Owens to show up and jam with us.

Scott

If I flew I wouldn't be able to take my Tyros for one thing Scott. No way would I take my Tyros on a plane and leave its well being in the hands of those airport baggage carriers especially since I don't have a hard case for it. Absolutely NOT!!

You never know, Buck Owens just might show up.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-10-2004).]

#172637 - 02/10/04 11:36 PM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
San Jose's average temperature in May is "58.1" degrees. And in September it is "64.5" degrees.

Mike, sorry, but San Jose's average high temperature in May is 76.3 degrees, and in June is 81.6 degrees, so by mid May it reaches a very pleasant & sunny 78 derees and not at all humid either. Bakersfield's average high in May is 83.9 and in June 91.7, so probably in the high 80's in mid May, a bit warm for ideal comfort to me.

San Jose statistics: http://www.city-data.com/city/San-Jose-California.html
Scroll down the page to see the complete weather stats.

Bakersfield statistics: http://www.city-data.com/city/Bakersfield-California.html
Scroll down the page to see the complete weather stats.

- Scott

#172638 - 02/11/04 12:08 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
keybplayer Offline

Who to believe?

This is where I got my data Scott:

Bakersfield Average Temps

San Jose's Average Temps

Now if we can only figure out which one is correct, if any?

Best regards,
Mike

#172639 - 02/11/04 04:12 AM Re: Proposal: Synthzone Arranger KB Member Get Together in: San Jose, CA !
trtjazz Offline

Scott & Bebop
Hmmmm, I'd have to bring Stick and guitar, since those are my real weapons of choice, or are you looking for this to really be more arranger board only?
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online