SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#172180 - 08/20/01 09:49 AM Need some advice
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Hi everyone!

Way back, I purchased the Casio MZ-2000 and I have started to use it again after my long time away from it all due to my husbands illness and passing.

Anyways, I am back to playing with my MZ and still am not happy that I cannot save the songs I create with the song studio as a standard midi file in the disk drive. It also does not transmit alot of data that is created from the built in arrangements through midi. It requires alot of manipulating to fix them. I don't care for this at all. I use these features all the time.

My question is, what arranger keyboard out there has these two very important options that I want? I was looking at the KN6500 but I do not know the specifics and the price range of that board. Keep in mind I do own the MZ2000, which I like, except for the above problems. I bore easily so I need alot of bells and whistles! I like quality sounds. I do not play professionaly at all. No one hears me play and I like it that way ha-ha. Money situation is flexible at this point so give me your best advice.

Thanks!

-Linda Fustini

P.S. Maybe George Kaye could give me some good consumer information?

#172181 - 08/20/01 01:16 PM Re: Need some advice
Guardman2001 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Linda. I think you might like the 6500. I got one a few weeks ago on ebay. I find it pretty easy to navigate and really like the performance pads. When pushed, they play along with the music and even add solo's. I find the styles very realistic and mostly, well done. I also had a MZ2000, but didn't really care for it too much. Another board to check out would be the Yamaha 740, or the new 2000. You will love the Groove feature, which lets you change the beat timing, so it really expands the style base. Good luck on your choice.

#172182 - 08/20/01 07:13 PM Re: Need some advice
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Linda,
I'm glad your back with us. Sorry your having
problems with your MZ-2000! Seems a lot of the guys had problems with them. There's an
awful lot of them for sale. There's usually
2 or 3 on ebay, also a lot of Yamaha 740's, 640's, & 540's.
There trying to clear them out for the new
PSR-1000 & PSR-2000. If you want Info. on these two, go to Simon Williams site.
http://www.svpworld.com/2000review.htm

I'm waiting to try this one out. I've wanted to get a new one for a long time but the money has just not been there. I still play a
PSR-510. I have 2, one at home & one set up at church. Wnen I bought it 5 yrs. ago it cost me around $500.00, The second one I bought abought 4 months ago for $140.00 including shipping. So I think I'm due for a new one! HA! Linda keep posting we missed you!
God bless You,
Nobby

PS: Squeak bought the new PSR-550! I've played it sounds real good.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 08-20-2001).]

#172183 - 08/20/01 08:24 PM Re: Need some advice
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Nobby,
If you will send me your email address, I will send you a couple of country styles that I made for the 510. One is a CW waltz, the other an old time shuffle with walking bass.
DonM
donmason@prysm.net

#172184 - 08/21/01 04:09 AM Re: Need some advice
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
Hello all of YOU!

I have been away for awhile eh? Squeak went and sold his MZ and got a Psr550? What? I suppose Uncle Dave has changed his board a couple times by now also! ha-ha!

Nobby, I thought you would have purchased a new board by now! You are probably smart for waiting! Money is tight for me also but I think I am going to sell my MZ2000 and try another.

Guardman, you got rid of your MZ also? Gosh, I thought I would get blasted for not liking it as much as I did when I first got it. I am actually following a trend!

Hi DonM!

OK, I have it zeroed down to 3 boards. The Korg PA80 (I checked the demos out on that one) and they may have that one at my local dealer to hear for real(its expensive!). The Technics KN6500 (I checked the reviews and demos on that one also) and the PSR2000 which also I liked cause the price is down around $950.

The problem for me is how these machines operate in midi. Way back the Korg i3's or below would not transmit the accomp in midi. Your left to asking questions about these things to the folks who use them. So I am asking. Will these three boards I mentioned transmit their accomp parts without alot of hassle through midi? Could I save a song made in the sequencer to the built in floppy as a midi?

Where can you buy the PSR2000? I know its new, I found it in one place online for $1,100 which I think is way to high since they sell it for $950 abroad.

Glad to be back. Thank you all for your kind words.

-Linda

#172185 - 08/21/01 06:33 AM Re: Need some advice
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Linda,
I may be able to help you . I work for Guitar Center in Towson Maryland . 410 821 5200 or oneils4@home.com .......Dano 14 years experience with arranger keyboards .

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online