SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#145819 - 04/09/06 05:33 AM PSR 3000 + mic mixing problem
Earl Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Hi,

After having used a PSR 2000 for years, I just decided to switch to the 3000 and got it a couple of days ago.

I can confess I'm a little bit disapointed because of problems I encounter while singing thru the PSR.

I explain: with my PSR2K, I had a great mic setup that worked fine for years but I'm unable to get the same results with the 3K. I mean: my voice is very quickly distorted, even at low levels, my keyboard is vibrating a lot, etc.

I tried to change the settings while listening thu headphones and I got the same distorted voice (like a kind of saturation of the sound). It's really curious because the mic input "overload" led never blinks...

I finally discovered that if I put the rear gain pot to a minimum value, with a max value of 127 for the mic in the mixing table, it seems to work better but the voice seems to be not very "powerful" or "far" from the mix. In this configuration, I had to decrease the midi file I was playing to a very low value of 35/40 while my master volume pot was above 12 o'clock (up to 1 o'clock), which is, IMHO, not normal...

I can add that I tried to use the mic settings provided by Gary and it didn't work as I was expecting (.e.g the "distortion" effect is really more noticable when the compressor is on. So I can't switch it on)...

Does someone know what is wrong? I hope my KB doesn't have a technical problem

Final note: I'm using an EV N/D767a mic that worked perfectly with my previous PSR2K...

Thanks for your help!

BR,
Earl.

#145820 - 04/09/06 07:14 AM Re: PSR 3000 + mic mixing problem
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I have the 3K and I am afraid I find the same distortion as you stated. The 9000Pro owned before the 3K had an excellent vocal harmoniser. Another backward design by Yamaha.

#145821 - 04/09/06 07:27 AM Re: PSR 3000 + mic mixing problem
Earl Offline

Hi,

Really? That's awfull!! How do giggers use this kb??

Earl

#145822 - 04/09/06 08:19 AM Re: PSR 3000 + mic mixing problem
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Double check the mic/line switch is set to mic.

Also...make sure the Vocal Harmony and Effects are turned off. (Some of the preset values in VH and Efx can result in a lot of distortion.)

Eddie

#145823 - 04/09/06 09:14 AM Re: PSR 3000 + mic mixing problem
Earl Offline

Hi again,

The switch was in MIC position and effect/VH were off.

I however double checked and discovered that my EQ settings were part of the problem. I tried to decrease the gain boosts and it worked better.

Another issue is now to get the best reverb settings. It seems to be a little bit harder because there are many controls affecting mic reverb...

What are your settings for MIC reverb type, level (DSP), etc. ?

I still have problems to setup a good mix: the voice (from mic) is sometimes too present, some times lost in a mix of instruments, styles, etc.

I think I still have too much reverb on styles and kb voices...

BR,
Earl.

#145824 - 04/09/06 10:38 AM Re: PSR 3000 + mic mixing problem
TwoNuts Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Washington. USA
Hi Earl,

Sorry to hear about the vocal mix problem. I am in agreement with Graham on this. My 9000 was much less sensitive to problem. One of the things I noticed with the new Tyros 2 is the vocal aspects were a little more stringent regarding the settings. I needed to turn down the gain on the back of the T2 because of distortion. That is a no brainer I understand. The setting was just to high for the AudioTechnica headset mic that I use. After that it is working pretty well and any further alteration will be made internally. Over the years of using the 9000 I definately found that to much effect along with harmony really will make for a bad mix. Bottom line it is all about the signal processing and rather you have to much or to little.

I am getting sucked into this Tyros 2 world faster than I thought that I would. I really like what I can do with the Super Articulation Guitars. It is just amazing.
Anyway I am begining to blather on about a different subject. I sincerely hope that all works out for you and your 3000. It really is a great keyboard and the vocal harmonizer should not ruin your experience.

Regards,

Dennis L. ALmond
aka. TwoNuts

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

#145825 - 04/09/06 10:40 AM Re: PSR 3000 + mic mixing problem
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Earl:

Another issue is now to get the best reverb settings. It seems to be a little bit harder because there are many controls affecting mic reverb...

What are your settings for MIC reverb type, level (DSP), etc. ?

Mic reverb is not a global setting. I set mine to suit the song I am saving to a registration. Most of the time I use Hall 1 or 2 and run it about 17-28 on the balance wheel. (The default is set at 40, which I find to be way to heavy.)
Eddie

#145826 - 04/09/06 11:32 PM Re: PSR 3000 + mic mixing problem
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Earl, Gary Diamond has posted a very good article at PSRTutorial on Vocal settings for PSR2000/2100 and Tyros Keyboards which can be adapted to the PSR3000.
It could be a good idea to return the keyboard to the factory settings and start again from there.
You could also try going into Function and make the TYPE standard duet and turning the Volume down to zero.
I had an annoying echo and this has fixed it.
I also had help from a friend in choosing the appropriate microphone which in my case was a AKG880m.
I hope this helps as I would like to contribute to the forum.

Cousin Ken

#145827 - 04/16/06 04:17 AM Re: PSR 3000 + mic mixing problem
Earl Offline

Hi,

In fact, I begun from the settings proposed by Gary in the article your are speaking about!

I now know increasing master EQ settings was part of the problem. It's a little bit better now but far from being perfect and still below the results I was used to get with my former PSR2K.

Could someone publish the mic and EQ settings he's using on the PSR3K?

Thanks a lot.

BR,
Earl.

[This message has been edited by Earl (edited 04-16-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Earl (edited 04-16-2006).]

#145828 - 04/16/06 05:32 AM Re: PSR 3000 + mic mixing problem
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Here they are:

low EQ = 56Hz -2db
mid EQ = 1.2Khz -4db
high EQ = 8.0kHz +5

Noise Gate:
SW= on
Th. -45db

Compressor:
SW= off
Th.= -18db
Ratio= 3.0
Output= 81

Vocal Harmony Control:
Play, Off, Lower, L35>H, Auto, XF, Off, 85

The input volume control on the back of the keyboard should be set at approximately the 12 O'clock position and the best vocal harmony I've found for deep male voices is High Mens Quartet.

Keep in mind the above settings will vary significantly, depending on the microphone used. I've found these work well with the Crown CM-311A, Sennheiser E-855 and Samson Q7. I did not get the vocal quality using Shure SM58 and some EV mics--they were somewhat distorted, particularly when singing lower notes.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online