SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#185426 - 04/14/06 07:28 AM Oh, Oh, Oh...........
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

It had to happen .... I had my first Music Computer catastrophic failure. Turned on the computer and nothing not even a squeak!!! Damned those worldly things or is it still the full moon. Never say never!!!

I phoned my computer educated nephew who claims he can diagnose the problem and fix it in short order. He will do so at 3:00 P.M. today. Lucky me.

Age is not for the faint of heart nor are computers.

Just thought I would let you know and show you that I do not hide problems in my software based arranger system.

I hope it works out for me. If not I will be off to the computer shops and acquire one of those small form computers, e.g., Music XPC, etc.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 04-14-2006).]

#185427 - 04/14/06 08:54 AM Re: Oh, Oh, Oh...........
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Frank,
I am sorry to hear about this, the problem looks severe but mor often than not, it turns out to be a trivial thing, like a power cord out, or just pushing the memory back to the slot mey correct it.

anyway here's my two cents:
Shuttle and "shuttle like" PC's may look tempting but they are designed with space saving and appearance in mind.

They have a very strong reputation of sounding like blowers when turned on, because the same components that exist in normal size PC's are fitted in a much smaller space. Therefore they need strong fans and fans mean noise.

#185428 - 04/14/06 02:44 PM Re: Oh, Oh, Oh...........
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
hopefully it's just something simple.
First AJ's, then mine, now yours.
Let us know how you go.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#185429 - 04/14/06 06:17 PM Re: Oh, Oh, Oh...........
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki & Trident it turned out to be a simple fix for a complicated problem. All that was needed was a reset of the motherboard and I am back in business. It took all of 2 to 3 minutes....if you know what you are doing. I don't know how the motherboard became confused in the first place....so I guess it is not entirely fixed given I don't know the cause.

Trident, the Music XPC use fluid cooling systems and are very very very very very very very quiet and then some. It is definitely my next music computer.

#185430 - 04/17/06 01:09 AM Re: Oh, Oh, Oh...........
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Frank the first XPC's used giant fans.
the situation is remedied by some "heatpipe" technology they use, I am not sure about fluid cooling.
Anyway, if you are certain they won't be noisy, by all means get one, they are powerful and elegant at the same time.

#185431 - 04/17/06 03:28 PM Re: Oh, Oh, Oh...........
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
glad to hear it was something simple.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]Rikki & Trident it turned out to be a simple fix for a complicated problem. All that was needed was a reset of the motherboard and I am back in business. It took all of 2 to 3 minutes....

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online