SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#128889 - 04/27/03 01:28 AM Re: OT: Budget studio
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
Here in Finland the Canon GM2 is XM2 which is a PAL version (correct if I am wrong). The Sony VX2000 is more expensive and more professional videocamera compared to the XM2. The VX2000 has better picture and sound quality (with XM2 you can still take better still pictures) than the XM2. And in many other ways it is more professional than the XM2. The Canon XL1s is in the same level with VX2000. The cost about the same and they are in the same level. Still some people say that the VX2000 is a bit better. One good thing on the XL1s is that you can change lenses on it and you can mount it in your shoulder. But in the other hand it is very big and it doesn´t have LCD, which is very handy when you use a tripod.

I would compare the XM2 to the Sony TRV950E. The cost about the same, but the Canon is much better. The TRV950 has much more functions (like flash, web cam, bluetooth, touch screen) compared to the XM2, but all these functions are useless for a serious videographer. The Canon XM2 has much better picture quality than the TRV950. It is also a bit bigger so it has a more professional feeling and it is also more user friendly.

So in the pro level I would rather buy the Sony, but the semi-pro level the Canon is better.

Micco

#128890 - 04/27/03 08:48 AM Re: OT: Budget studio
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Micco,
how would you rate the Sony PD 150 compared to yours and other DV camcorders in the same price range? Seems to offer the best value for the money (a lot of money though...)

#128891 - 04/28/03 03:29 AM Re: OT: Budget studio
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
The Sony PD-150 is a pro version of the VX2000. In many ways it is the same camera, but it has some differences. Here is the list of the differences:
http://www.dvinfo.net/sony/skinny.php

These two cameras have a quite big price difference. I was asking advices of some pro people before I bought the camera about which camera should I buy and they all said, buy the VX2000 and spend the money you saved to some other AV stuff and you will get much better results that way. For example the DVCAM format is mostly politics (I hope you understand what I mean). With MiniDV you get the same quality if you use good quality casettes. With these formats Sony only wants to separate their consumer and pro stuff. It is completly different thing compared to JVC for example. JVCs consumer cameras are MiniDV and their expensive pro cameras have the same format.

#128892 - 04/28/03 10:52 AM Re: OT: Budget studio
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks Harosha,

Would it affect its effectiveness if I painted it? I want to match the color to my wall.

#128893 - 04/28/03 12:32 PM Re: OT: Budget studio
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Thanks, Micco. I understand perfectly what you mean.

#128894 - 04/28/03 01:17 PM Re: OT: Budget studio
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
KN_Fan: No, unfortunately you cannot paint these. The material has to stay porous for it to absorb all the sound.

Check out www.auralex.com they have different colors available. You may be able to find something that matches with your wall color. They also have some designer stuff that is also good, but expensive. Another good site is www.markertek.com they have a variety of stuff that is really good and may be cheaper than auralex.

#128895 - 04/28/03 02:05 PM Re: OT: Budget studio
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
KN-Fan,
If your thinking of blocking sound to your nieghbour's common wall: Basic physics, sound travels best through solid material ( I found this out the hard way). My recommendation would be wall, insulation, common wall. The studs should not touch the common wall.
Sound >>>> |wall| |stud| insulation |common wall|
Starkeeper

#128896 - 04/28/03 02:16 PM Re: OT: Budget studio
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks Star/Harosha,

I checked out the auralex website. Good stuff. Not sure if I'm going to spend that much money on sound dampening stuff (I feel it's going to be up there in the hundreds of dollars). I know this for sure that I don't play music as loud as my neighbor does. I can't imagine my 20watts sony/5 inch full range boston acoustic would rumble all the walls. I'm a really nice neighbor...I don't play that loud anyway. I just thought if spending less than 50 bucks (I know..i know..i'm a cheapskate!) can reduce the "possibility" of my sounds travelling through the wall, I'd do it. Heck, even I can hear her sometimes playing her collection of country music when she cleans the house or whatever (just the bass though).

#128897 - 04/28/03 03:12 PM Re: OT: Budget studio
RINGO Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY USA
Thanks Micco for the information on the camcorders.

Peace.

Ringo

#128898 - 04/28/03 04:00 PM Re: OT: Budget studio
RINGO Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY USA
Hey Guys,

I highly recommend Auralex Designer Series DTS 114's and DTS 244's studio foam for your studio. It will make your studio look and sound nice.

I built / designed a small 8' x 10' home studio room with floating floors, walls, drop ceiling and vocal booth using :

2"x4"x8' Studs.
Fiberglass Insulation.
MDF.
Birch plywood.
Drywall.
Auralex U-boat Floor Floaters.
Auralex SheetBlok Sound Barrier.
Auralex Designer Series DTS 114's and DTS 244's studio foam in charcoal.
Auralex Pyramids in blue.

Peace.

Ringo

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online