SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#107053 - 05/07/03 08:33 AM OT: Outdoor gigs
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
I am about to do the outdoor bistro/bar circuit, and was wondering if anyone does a lot of performing outdoors? Are the speakers affected at all by the air temp's and things like humidity? Is there a difference in the way you actually perform versus indoor scenarios? I have my PSR2K and EV SxA100's ready for action. Thanks!

Angelo

#107054 - 05/07/03 08:51 AM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
The two foremost enemies of most all electronic equipment is moisture and excessive heat.

Carrying an amp into an indoor gig during a a light sprinkle disabled one of my amps once. One of my older keyboards just quit on a really humid night during an outdoor pool party. And, on another occasion, a sudden downpour caused me to scramble to get the equipment under cover and I thought all was well. A few days later, one of my speakers quit and the tech who fixed it said it was caused by a drop of water that corroded a thin metal piece that surrounded the magnet.

I still do some outdoor jobs, but take every precaution to be under some kind of cover and out of direct sunlight on the really hot days.

So...what's that? Three problems in 36 years? Not too bad...but I don't want there to be a fourth.

Eddie

#107055 - 05/07/03 09:04 AM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Angeloooooo ..... Bring a BIG umbrella, bug spray, and chap-stick .....
Seriously, you need to be somewhat concerned about a couple of things .... Be careful with the power supply, make sure it's adequate and protected from the elements, including the public ... I've done some outdoor gigs, and the wind is a factor for speaker placement because it can literally blow the sound right back at you, ... it will also be a factor if it is hitting the mic head on ... I might think even moreso with that classy 'retro' mic you have ... is there a 'wind screen' for that? .... Do a sound check as close to start time as possible ... and obviously if you are reading music ( which I don't think you need to do), the wind can raise havoc with that...
As for bugs, if there is one of those 'Mosquito Monsters' or what ever they might be called, DON'T set up next to it ... I did once, and while they kill mosquitos, it has to attract them first, and they may get you as they are taking that last trip to the chamber.... And there is always the possibility of sucking some in while you are singing ... NOT PLEASANT!!! ... and yes, the lips can get chapped and dry working outdoors ...
If I think of anything else I will let you know ....
Hope to see you next week ....
t.

#107056 - 05/07/03 09:29 AM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Angelo,

I play lots of outdoor jobs, some of which are lots of fun, but before doing anything, I have the customer sign a contract that includes the following:
11. Special considerations for outdoor performances. The Contractor shall provide adequate shelter to protect the Service Provider and the Service Provider's Equipment from: direct sunlight, rain, snow and winds in excess of 10 miles per hour. This can be in the form of a tent, tent/shelter, pavilion or covered stage area that is completely waterproof. If outdoor temperatures exceed 85 degrees f., the performer(s) attire may be modified to accomodate climatic conditions.

12. Electrical Power Requirements. A single, 20-ampere outlet is required to operate the musical equipment and amplifiers(s). This out must be a standard, 110-volt, grounded receptacle that is located within 25 feet of the performance site. If an extension cored is required, it must be a grounded, heavy-duty cable constructed from 12 gauge or heavier wire.

As for temperature and humidity having an effect on the equipment, yes it does. First and foremost, make sure the 2000 is not exposed to direct sunlight, especially the LCD display. The display can be damaged easily by excessive ultra-violet rays. Moisture should also be avoided at all costs. When it's hot and humid, and there's not a breeze blowing, I take a portable floor fan along on the job--sure makes a big difference at the end of a four-hour job, especially during mid summer.

Hope this is of some help,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 05-07-2003).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#107057 - 05/07/03 11:11 AM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
In addition to the great advice given, I'd like to add, that outdoors, in daylight, it's virtually IMPOSSIBLE to view the LCD screen on my Yamaha PSR2000, Tyros, as well as all the other keyboards (Technics KN5000, Roland G800, etc) I've ever played which included an LCD screen (both color & b/w).

When performing outdoors, where shade just is'nt available (public stage venues, etc) I will either take a portable umbrella or need to gerry rig a make shift hood (cardboard) to shield the LCD screen from the sun.

I wish the keyboard manufacters would come out with a keyboard screen which would allow viewing it easily in the sunlight as well as indoors.

I'm really interested now in hearing from others here about your experiences with LCD screen visability outdoors.

Scott

#107058 - 05/07/03 11:28 AM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Again, this is where keyboard manufacturers could care less about where professial entertainers perform. LCD screens have advanced dramatically over the past decade, especially on Global Positioning System (GPS), depth finders, fathometers, digital instrumentation for cars, boats and aircraft and even portable TVs--but not keyboards. I guess the manufacturers still believe that everyone plays in an air-conditioned environment where sunlight and excessive heat and cold is not a problem.

Yes, cold can be a significant problem. I played a couple election-day celebrations, which I was on a flatbed trailer the evening of November 15. Outside temperatures ranged from 28 to 32 degrees that night, too cold for the LCD display to function correctly. The screen was nearly impossible to read, and as the night grew colder, constant adjustments had to be made to the contrast and brightness. The next time I play an election day celebration outdoors, it's going to cost someone a lot of money.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#107059 - 05/07/03 12:10 PM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
SBPC Offline

Loc: Goleta, CA, USA
I've played a number of outdoor gigs over the years. Here in Southern California, bugs and mosquitos are not as great a problem as they may be elsewhere in the country, nor is the daytime high humidity an issue. However the problem Scott mentioned with the keyboard display can be significant.

I always take a market umbrella on daytime outdoor jobs to provide as much shade as possible. I tell my clients that it's not because I personally mind the sun, but it's so I can see my keyboard display. To further help with this I've made a small cardboard sun shield which I tape in place over the keyboard display to afford some additional glare protection. (My display doesn't tilt, so I will get glare if I don't shield the display and the glare can make the display unreadable.)

Another problem that I don't have a good solution for is being able to see the red LED's above my keyboard buttons. These lights let me know what settings I've selected, such as voices, etc. They simply wash out in daylight, even with use of the market umbrella. So at times I end up with unplanned voices as I switch during a number.
(I should point out that I play a SOLTON MS60. It doesn't have one touch settings or any of those convenience features. It sometimes takes three consecutive button pushes to get the voice I want and without the benefit of the LED's this sometimes gets interesting.)

I also have along a set of three or more clothes pins to hold the fake book pages from turning if there is any wind. This has helped on many occasions.

Another thing we've had to contend with in this local is dew settling on all surfaces after sundown. It's the nature of the beast out here and a further reason to have something like an umbrella overhead. But during the later afternoon hours, it's often necessary to keep moving the umbrella as the sun gets lower and the umbrella shadow moves.

At times where I've been put under a canopy, I've had to fashion a drape of sorts to keep the sun from hitting me directly in the eyes during the last hour or two before sunset.

Wearing sunglasses is not an option for me since they also make my keyboard display almost impossible to read

All in all, the outdoor gigs are a bit more of a challenge than the indoor ones and it pays to anticipate all those things that have been mentioned by the various individuals and be prepared.
Paul C.

#107060 - 05/07/03 12:57 PM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Just another quick point...
If you've got any sheet music, cue sheets, stage notes, whatever...written on paper...secure it somehow. There's nothing more silly looking than someone chasing papers all over a stage.
Ensure everything is properly grounded. Got zapped once just hooking up some pedals....Yeeeeouuch!!!

#107061 - 05/07/03 02:12 PM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Angelo,

I play quite a few outdoor gigs. Here is a very important point. Try to store your equipment at the same temperature as it will be at gig time. If you keep your gear in an air conditioned environment then take it outdoors, you will get high condensation on the LCD displays, speaker chasis, etc.

I also bring a fan with me if it's REALLY hot out and shade is very important.

Sound wise, playing outdoors is a challenge. As soon as the sounds leave your speakers they disappate, UNLESS, there is a building directly across from you. In that case, the sound will bounce right back in your face. The most problems outdoors is hearing what you are playing. A good monitor system is a necessity.

Also, bring plenty of water, BUT save a bottle of COLD water for the trip home in the car. After packing up the equipment in the late afternoon, you'll need it for the ride home. Also, I use golf towel close by for my hands and to wipe my brow.

Put together a checklist and a summer gig bag full of summer necessitites.

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#107062 - 05/07/03 08:17 PM Re: OT: Outdoor gigs
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, the last time I had a problem seeing the screen in "Broad" daylight, I was also using a Roland RA800 and a XP80..I could hardly see what I was doing. I also used cardboard on the RA800... To top it off, it was a pool party, and the girls distracted me by swimming topless. One young lady showed me an pierced ear ring, but it was not in her ear, belly button or her breast..Very strange spot to show a stranger..My female vocalist got upset with me for being attentive[she wasn't even my wife]..Half of the family I believe were Greek, Is this a Greek custom? [Just kidding our Greek friends]..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online