SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#128839 - 04/22/03 08:32 AM OT: Budget studio
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
[img]http://acapella.harmony-central.com/foru...&postid=3625598[/img]
Thought you might like to see this small studio I have setup for an advertising company to do music beds with. Pictured here are:

QuikLok Z-stand w accessories
Kurzweil PC2x - master controller
Roland DS-50a monitors
(on the tray below the keyboard)
JLCooper CS-32 Minidesk
Mini QWERTY keyboard
Optical trackball mouse
(right side)
Dell 1.7 GHZ/640MB RAM PC w/200Gb external HD
EZ/CD printer
(top)
Samsung 170 LCD monitor
AT4050 mic
(not shown on rack below tray)
Behringer 8024 EQ
Alesis Studio 12R mixer

This studio relies heavily on softsynths so the computer has an M-Audio Delta 1010LT audio card in it. Software includes Cubase VST/32, Reason, Sonar, V-Stack, Acid, Sound Forge, some NI instruments.

The CS-32 control surface is used mostly with Sonar currently but hopefully it'll interact with other programs soon - this product is still being developed by JLCooper and it only partially works with Sonar right now, but the size and form was irresitable for the spot below the keyboard.

The CD printer allows CD's to be produced and printed directly. The mixer is used to mix to monitor from many of the sources from the 1010LT audio card, which has 10 in/10 out plus MIDI. The mic is just on display - it is used in a small isolation booth nearby.

Everything works very well so far (except the CS-32 control surface which will take some time). I forget the exact $ that went into it but I want to guess about $7500. Comments welcome.

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 04-22-2003).]

#128840 - 04/22/03 08:39 AM Re: OT: Budget studio
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Very handsome setup. Neat, clean and functional. I like it.

#128841 - 04/22/03 08:53 AM Re: OT: Budget studio
The Pro Offline

Thank you UD. I am most proud of the ergonomics between the keyboard and the control surface/keyboard/mouse. It has nice flow and reach to it.

#128842 - 04/22/03 09:28 AM Re: OT: Budget studio
Roel Offline

This is a fine setup.... but I wonder :

a. At what height are the keys to play ?
b. The panel on which the computer keyboard is positioned, what is the height ?

To be honest, I expect one's knees to hit the lower panel and the keyboard keys are slightly too high (?)
Please correct me if I'm wrong !

I myself have been in a struggle for a long time to find the best solution for me (!).

My 'work' desk (70 x 250 cm) is at 77 cm from the floor and on it I put the mixer, computer keyboard, printer, telephone and TFT flatscreen.

Monitorspeakers and DVD-player + Digi001 are on a (30 x 250) panel, at 38 cm height above the work-desk.

My SD1 keyboard stands on a heavy duty 'slider' panel directly under the work-desk. If not needed it is not even visible. Keys are 67 cm from the floor. No knee-contact at all.

The PC is ALWAYS too noisy, so I put her outside my studio. Through a tiny door I can reach the PC's front-devices from my seat.
(This is fantastic.... without noise !)
Accoustic instruments and vocals can be recorded IN my studio now.

Pro :
So my setup is similar but different

Roel

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 04-22-2003).]

#128843 - 04/22/03 09:48 AM Re: OT: Budget studio
Catsailor Offline

Neat!

Peter

#128844 - 04/22/03 10:11 AM Re: OT: Budget studio
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Pro: Slick looking setup. Like Roel though, I'm interested to hear at what height (inches) from the floor, the top of the Kurzweil keys, and computer keyboard are at.

I'm also interested in hearing more about your EZ/CD printer: brand/model, price, CD printing quality, speed, etc. Thanks,

Scott

#128845 - 04/22/03 10:32 AM Re: OT: Budget studio
The Pro Offline

Let's see... the keyboard is 28 3/4" from the floor to the top of the keys. The company-provided chair is height-adjustable and at it's top height my wrist is just slightly above the keys - I would prefer a keyboard bench to raise my wrist even higher. The tray slides under the keyboard incidently. The computer tray is 22 1/4" from floor to the surface, and the chair can be adjusted down so I can barely slip my legs under it, but it's not very comfortable when I do. Right now I can reach everything fairly comfortably without trying to put my knees under the tray, but it's a little bit of a reach to get to the Kurzweil. I could put the wheels back onto the stand which would raise everything about 2 1/2". This is all stock QuikLok stuff by the way, including the computer tray. Hmmm... it's not ideal, and may need more thought/suggestions.

The PC is a little fan noisy. In my home studio I isolated the PC in it's own cabinet but here it is sitting on a QuikLok CPU stand attached to the Z-stand. Less than ideal for sure, but I can't think of a better way to set this up comsidering that the audio I/O's are all on the back of the CPU. Maybe put it in it's own little isolation cabinet if necessary. Fortunately no serious audio will be recorded in the same room as the PC and a small isolation room is nearby for voice-overs. Again, less than ideal.

Here's the url for info on the EZ/CD printer: http://www.ezcdprinter.com/

#128846 - 04/22/03 04:39 PM Re: OT: Budget studio
Roel Offline

[img]http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=3631910[/img]

I hope this works including the picture ?
My setup with the SD1 'out of the garage', ready to go back
My PC is behind the blue 'door' .... soo quiet....

Roel

Roel

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 04-22-2003).]

#128847 - 04/22/03 04:54 PM Re: OT: Budget studio
Roel Offline

#128848 - 04/22/03 05:01 PM Re: OT: Budget studio
The Accordionist Offline

Pro - I am very jealous of your setup! I am a bit of a neat-freak and my wife says if I had it my way our house would look like the one in American Psycho!

I am very interested in Home Recording and hope to eventually build something as nice as your setup.

Thanks for sharing. It gave me a lot of ideas.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online