SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 17 of 26 < 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26 >
Topic Options
#107717 - 08/28/06 02:26 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
can anyone tell me how to set up the quotes in replies?
is it a pc thing or can a mac do it?
MM

Click on the icon with the "letter and red arrow".

#107718 - 08/28/06 04:34 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
Sorry to dissapoint you paisan....but I enjoy demoing new units on stage....
they are only a tool of the trade for me not a life long commitment by any means.
Keep making great music & enjoying your units.

Donny mentioned to me on Skype a few weeks back that he gets about 400 bookings a year, so I can see why he has no problems or regrets swapping keyboards all the time.
With a huge source of yearly income from 400 gigs, losing a few hundred dollars swapping to another keyboard is peanuts for him.
Enjoy the 3k Donny until something new comes along for you to demo, maybe the E80?

#107719 - 08/28/06 05:06 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
At first, my main reasons for returning to the PSR-3000 were financial, as I had been off work, without pay, for over three years due to a family commitment, and I was just barely getting out of debt.

I put the Tyros2 away, and I took the 3k back out of it's case and started playing it, and it felt like an old pair of shoes(that still look good..LOL)and I found myself enjoying it's simplicity.

To be sure, the T2 is a great instrument, but I'd never use the features that make it much more costly than the 3k.

I'm not into loading samples and audio recording so these features would be wasted on me.

Like Fran with his G-1000, I have my 3k tweaked to sound far better than it did when I took it out of the box, and I'm very satisfied with it.

I'll wait for the 3k replacement, which should be well within my idea of what I want to spend on an upgrade.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#107720 - 08/28/06 06:23 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
Click on the icon with the "letter and red arrow".

Thanks, Taike!!
Mo

#107721 - 08/28/06 08:25 AM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Ian .. I can relate... very much in fact. I was badly injured and out of work for quite some time a few years back. It took a while to get "back on my feet" both in the literal sense and financially as well. So..when I was able to, I bought a PSR2000, but at the time I had really wanted a 9000 pro.

In retrospect, the 2k ( my second one ) was a great board for the money, and did everything I expected of it. I just didn't like the way the keys responded to my playing. My first was a bug filled nightmare that my music store took back ( they agreed ) and I then got a Motif instead.

Then, later when I could, I purchased another 2k used, which I later sold again in anticipation of getting a Tyros. Then for a short time money got a bit tight again, and when that ended I dumped a ton of money into softsynths and apps.. a decision I've never regretted.

So finally I caught up enough again to get a T2. I didn't "need" one, but it feels so right when I play it, just like the Motif ES does. The MZ2000 also has a similar feel. The PA80 does not, so it's a bit of an adjustment, but not at all a problem. Anyway, I convinced the grandkids to take the PA80 instead of the MZ2000. They are thrilled with it. Plus, it's in the living room, so when I just wanna play something with speakers and no computer around, I can still play it.

Perhaps if I ever tired of the T2, and Yamaha offered a 76 key PSR version or a speakered version with the T2 keybed, I might bite. ( no I know it probably isn't happening so I'm not waiting around for it ). The thing is, I generally don't tire of boards that work well for me, which is why I kept my M1, Polysix, ( still have both but now in software ) and more recently my PA80 for so long.

Regards to you, and enjoy the 3000. I know it rocks, 'cause the 1500 I tried surely did.

AJ

#107722 - 08/28/06 12:31 PM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Too many nips today

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-28-2006).]

#107723 - 08/28/06 12:33 PM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
what happen ..what did I do?

#107724 - 08/28/06 02:57 PM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
The Tyros2 is a different matter...it is light years ahead of the 3k(and T1) in terms of keyboard action and the SA voices and extra Sweet voices are definitely a cut above the great sounds in the 3k.

Ian

Light years? Me no think so. Me thinks you are exaggerating things a bit Ian.

The proof is in the pudding they say. So here goes.

This song was made on a Tyros(1). No SMF, it was sequenced exclusively on Tyros' onboard 16 track sequencer. It is a slow Jazz ballad called "There's No You" made famous by singer Frank Sinatra.

Here is the song:

There's No You

I invite anybody with a Tyros2 to record a song using only the Tyros2' onboard sequencer (no software sequencer and no external sounds e.g. .wav files, etc.) and post it here for evaluation. Then I will give you my honest opinion about the Tyros2' "light years ahead" claim.

PS: I recorded the sequenced song directly to my computer using Sony Sound Forge 7.0 and converted it to an .mp3.

Another PS: I cannot truthfully state that the Tyros2 is even a 'notch' above the Tyros as far as most sounds go in my opinion. Granted, there are some sounds such as the SAV voices that Yamaha has demonstrated very convincingly, yet in terms of the real world i.e. first hand experience playing a Tyros2 live with none of Yamaha's expensive demo producing techniques such as ultra sophisticated recording equipment and sequencing software, I really didn't notice much of a difference compared to a Tyros. I did like a few of the SAV voices such as the SAV Tenor Sax and a couple of the SAV strings and one or two of the SAV guitars but other than that the SAV's didn't excite me that much. And as far as the keybed I did like the Tyros2' keybed but the Tyros' keybed is no slouch either in my opinion. In fact if you play mainly Organ you may indeed prefer the Tyros' keybed over the T2's. But I also find the Tyros' keybed quite sufficient for playing Piano as well as all the other over 1,100 voices on the Tyros. Weighted Hammer Action would be the preference of choice for playing Piano of course but the Tyros' keybed is acceptable in my opinion as is the Tyros2' keybed since it is a little firmer than the Tyros'.

But I do commend Yamaha for coming up with the SAV concept and I'm sure they will continue to further enhance the SAV technology as time goes by. >> If they make a 76 key T3 I will definitely consider getting one.

The SAV's are going to get better and by then there will probably be a lot more of them included in the T3 or whatever they end up calling it.

Two or so more years is a long time to wait though. But patience is a virtue I've been told. Although you never know what's going to come down the pipe between now and then either. Yamaha who?? Enter Korg, Roland, GEM, etc. The field is wide open and competition is the spark that flames ingenuity and is the mother of invention.

It will be interesting to see and hear what the other keyboard manufacturers introduce in the next couple of years or so. The Roland E80 sounds great but only has 61 keys and it weighs a ton (figuratively speaking of course ). Korg is overdue as well as Ketron and GEM. So let the games begin!

My 2

Best regards,
Mike

#107725 - 08/28/06 04:00 PM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Mike, very impressively played Trumpet instrumental Jazz ballad showcasing Tyros1. I concur that Tyros1 continues to be a terrific sounding keyboard, and as long as it inspires your playing, stick with it. On the other hand, having owned a Tyros1 & Tyros2 now, there are (imho) quite a few dramatic sound & new features (HD drive audio rec, more responsive keyboard feel, text lyric display, and of course SA voices) to make it worth the price difference to people like myself. The one constructive comment I'd like make about your song is that I think the trumpet melody phrasing might benefit from a tiny bit more breathing space between phrases, of which allows a trumpet player just a little more time (fraction of a second more) to take a breath (in some spots). In addition, though your Tyros1 horns sound good, I believe Tyros2's SUPER ARTICULATION trumpet & horns provide more variety of expressive character = realism to their sound.

Scott

#107726 - 08/28/06 04:28 PM Re: Do you really need a Tyros 2 ?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Mike,

You obviously didn't read my last post...

I'll try to be a little more clear.

I could buy a T2 if I juggled my finances, but I won't do it.

The decision not to buy is based on two reasons.

1.The 3k is perfect for my type of playing, and my needs.

2.I'm not going to waste my money on a keyboard that I would use essentially as I do the 3k.

I agree that the SA voices, while at first, very impressive, do not make that much difference in "real world" situations.

I find my 3k is every bit as expressive in my hands as the T2 or the T1 for that matter.

I was lucky to be able to have the T2 for several weeks and find out that it wasn't what I needed before I made a purchase.

You don't have to prove anything to me...I have learned a valuable lesson on my own.

Thanks for your great post.

All the best,

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

Page 17 of 26 < 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 25 26 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online