Chas, what a neat way to describe your position on your preferences! As most of you know,Im a "dyed in the wool" jazz fan and player. It's true you have to play what the audience wants. In my case, the difference is, I have to find an audience that wants jazz. Around here, that means upscale restaurants, lounges in better hotels and private events. Some would call it "society" music. Once you're established , the pay is great and the competition minimal. Of course, I'm not an entertainer, so this approach seems to work best for me.

Early on, when I was learning and hungry, I played some country, and was OK with it until I went to California and met Ray Brown, Herb Ellis and others. Then, I was hooked. Everything else seemed insignificant...especially country. Appreciation of jazz is an acquired taste for listeners and a lifetime dedicated to learning, sometimes going without work and experimentation for players.

There is no right choice in the type of music each one of us chooses to play. For me, however, there was no other choice. Even considering the downside (which is considerable),I wouldn't change a thing.

Here's hoping each of you get's as much joy out of what you choose as your musical direction as I have.

As James Moody sings...

"there I go, there I go, there I go...

Russ